Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody pick up the new 7 cd DKV Trio box put out by Not Two recently?

Yes - from Jazz Loft.

How is it?

Great IMHO. I've always been a big Vandermark "fan".

How does the Resonance band writing compare/differ to his writing for say Vandermark 5 or work with Territory Band?

Paradoxical Frog - Union

Been toying with getting this. I find the first an intensely fascinating listen and I'm not sure I've completely absorbed it even now. Does 'Uniion' follow much the same path?

Been toying with getting this. I find the first an intensely fascinating listen and I'm not sure I've completely absorbed it even now. Does 'Uniion' follow much the same path?

I have the first one and heard them live around the time of the release of the second one when I assumed they were performing music from that recording. I would say thier path is the same.

Time will tell, I guess. I just thought it would be good to make one thread for NEW releases in this vein to raise awareness and facilitate discussion, rather than start a bunch of individual threads. So far I don't see anyone straying from this and I got a crucial piece of information about a record I've been wondering about. Seems pretty tame to me. Besides, an overabundance of available material is a hallmark of this scene. You pick & choose.

It's a fine idea for a thread, go with it.

The only potential pitfall is that as time goes on, the thread might get so crowded that thread readership becomes kind of "locked in", and attention to a release that might appeal to a broader/different/overlapping listenership might be lost. Time will tell. One of the "concerns" about the old Funny Rat thread was that it was unintentionally creating a ghetto for the music. Perhaps it was.

Or on a much more trivial level, a new release that's already under discussion here might get a new thread started by somebody who's not following this thread, and then the Anti-Duplicate Discussion people get irked. Not that that's the worse thing that could happen, mind you.

Other than that, this is a thread about New Releases in the New Release sub-forum, so, hey, see where it goes, and much love for anybody's informed enthusiasm about any music.

Thanks for the clarification JSngry

I think it's a fine idea for a thread especially as there's so many threads about reissues, past issues and the like on the board. I like the idea of a place to throw about recommendations and information about a living, vital and often 'below the radar' slice of music-making.

As JSngry suggests a pitfall " the thread might get so crowded that thread readership becomes kind of "locked in" ". Well yeah, but I could list a heap of threads where that's the case - threads become the focus for some very specific subjects and audiences, not necessarily a bad thing for those enjoying discussing the minutiae of a particular reissue

Threads about just one title often draw to a close once a few contributors have their say but in this broader thread that can still happen but also potentially intersect with other such conversations.

Let's post on!

and in that spirit I'll list a couple of other very interesting releases

River Loam Trio (No Business)

Gustafsson/Russell/Strid - Birds (denrecords)

I'm up for this kind of thread again. Time was when the Funny Rat thread was my main haunt but it became way too bloated when if you lost track of where you'd got to. Perhaps this thread really is a sub thread to "what music are you spinning now" in which posters only ever live in the now ( or a least just a couple of pages back).

I suggest you guys keep this thread running. There is very little interest for more adventurous new-ish stuff at this forum, and individual threads on releases of this type will die a fast and inglorious death (there are actually dozens of such abortive threads around here, and Funny Rat actually was one before it picked up).

My recent recommendations:

41KkR8eXG7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

31GJapM8JTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Pyramids' first new album in over 30 years, and it is a good one.

51qIO34A27L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Phil Cohran's latest, with most of his family in the group. Outstanding!

mitche_rosc_threecomp_101b.jpg

Most of the tirles on Rogue Art are worth picking up.

Interesting selection there. I saw the Cherry Thing live and they were good. That Cohran looked interesting on release as did the Mitchell/Mitchell but samples of the latter made it sound very studied and missing some of Nicole Mitchell's usual vitality - I know samples are no way of assessing the release effectively but needs must.

I'll admit total ignorance when it comes to the Pyramids but their appearance in London this year caused quite a stir

Anyone heard this yet? Got a dream line up as far as I'm concerned and an intriguing premise

LivingByLanterns_600x600-460x460.jpg

Really need to get the Lanterns album.

The Cohran & The Cherry Thing are two of my favorites from this year.

There are so many Rogue Arts I want to hear but they're pricey and the hole just keeps getting dug deeper with each new release. I just need to jump in.

Start with this one:

chicagotrio_velvetson_101b.jpg

I'm a big fan of Jonas Kullhammer, and this latest one is highly recommended:

jonaskullha_svenskaka_101b.jpg

Not too out, but not too in either.

Really need to get the Lanterns album.

The Cohran & The Cherry Thing are two of my favorites from this year.

There are so many Rogue Arts I want to hear but they're pricey and the hole just keeps getting dug deeper with each new release. I just need to jump in.

Start with this one:

chicagotrio_velvetson_101b.jpg

I'm a big fan of Jonas Kullhammer, and this latest one is highly recommended:

jonaskullha_svenskaka_101b.jpg

Not too out, but not too in either.

I'll second that Rogue Art or the Nicole Mitchell with Michel Edelin 'Ethiopean princess...'

It's a fine idea for a thread, go with it.

The only potential pitfall is that as time goes on, the thread might get so crowded that thread readership becomes kind of "locked in", and attention to a release that might appeal to a broader/different/overlapping listenership might be lost. Time will tell. One of the "concerns" about the old Funny Rat thread was that it was unintentionally creating a ghetto for the music. Perhaps it was.

Or on a much more trivial level, a new release that's already under discussion here might get a new thread started by somebody who's not following this thread, and then the Anti-Duplicate Discussion people get irked. Not that that's the worse thing that could happen, mind you.

Other than that, this is a thread about New Releases in the New Release sub-forum, so, hey, see where it goes, and much love for anybody's informed enthusiasm about any music.

One possible suggestion is to cap the thread after a certain number of pages and start a new thread under the same title [Funny Rat Part XIII etc]. JCS does this and I think it's useful for keeping things manageable.

Hm, The Cherry Thing ... after having had it for a while, I think it doesn't quite live up to all the hype. It diminished in estimation here, as the months went by. Also, it's not a good production - I noticed when trying to listen to it on the iPod (either MP3 at 320 kbs or M4A at the highest quality iTunes has on offer, I don't remember) that it's impossible to find any equalizer settings where the music wasn't totally distorted. (I've got an old 30GB iPod with pre-sets only, no idea if later generations have more on offer.)

In addition, it sounds very hot, compressed - produced with tons of punch as if it was (it actually is) a contemporary pop album.

Some chances missed, but in the end I think it remains an okay to good album in my ears. Some tracks are very catchy and I still do enjoy them.

what a great thread - could be costly! I'd spotted the two Clean feed's in Colinmce's op too - particularly intrigued by that Revis as I enjoy all the players in seperate situations

I'll add a recent one that's well worth a listen

Peter Brötzmann & Jason Adasiewicz

Going All Fancy

Brö-E CD

through Eremite

Brotzmann?/Asadiewicsz

I saw the trio at Ohio Wesleyan, which started my love affair with Brotzmann's music. Like the other Bro releases, it is a pretty limited edition (in this case, 550 copies) and definitely worth picking up. It doesn't get much better than Brotzmann in a duo context.