Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

<p>Believe me; I didn't just suddenly forget how to post a link. This is the only place I am having a problem and only since the change. I posted several links on here before the change with no problem.To give you of what I see when I just click edit of my above post.<p><p&gt is before the believe me; ' is between the didn & the "'t" is between link and "This is" is between change. & "I posted"and it ends with a which also starts it.And if I edit anything no matter the spacing it looks like one huge block.

Edited by Blue Train

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, they are not related. It is a very good record, but not for the casual listener. Very complex, intelligent improvised music that demands the listener to pay attention.

I'll agree with all that, but also add that I don't take kindly to music that demands that I pay attention and then wastes my time after I agree to do so. I'm not getting any younger, ya' know, so tell me something I don't already know.

But this is definitely not a time-waster or a regurgitation of the (by now) obvious. This is news you can use.

No, they are not related. It is a very good record, but not for the casual listener. Very complex, intelligent improvised music that demands the listener to pay attention.

I'll agree with all that, but also add that I don't take kindly to music that demands that I pay attention and then wastes my time after I agree to do so. I'm not getting any younger, ya' know, so tell me something I don't already know.

But this is definitely not a time-waster or a regurgitation of the (by now) obvious. This is news you can use.

Agreed.

• 3 weeks later...

In fact, some of it like disc1 (2009) and the bonus disc with the Don Cherry stuff (2008) might be a bit better than damn great.

One of the discs is a bit rough - maybe one of the middle discs from 2010 - the band never get going like they are capable of and one wonders why they might have included it

the last 2 shows from 12/27 & 12/28/11 are energy filled with lots of KV on baritone sax.

and the main reason it is worth getting is it the best recording of Hamid Drake - soundwise, performance wise, really all around - diverse, energetic and simply a document of one of the truly transcendent drummers of this generation or really any generation.

I am only listening to this in my car - with a decent enough sounding stereo - and it almost sounds like him live - and I remember last June live - and this recording brings the listener pretty close to the sound of Hamid live - and for those who have heard and seen him live in a good sounding club or hall - there is nothing in this world that compares....

Blue Winter, baby

I am only listening to this in my car - with a decent enough sounding stereo - and it almost sounds like him live -

Dude, if I could have Hamid Drake playing live in my car, I would look for reasons to get lost, just to keep driving.

Of course, I'd have to have a van or something, and I'm not a van guy. But maybe I could be if the van came with a live drummer.

>>>> inane and unlistenable Ken Vandermark's life in any possible context, past, present or future--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoHB8RSQ8-0

Vandermark is so inane, such a dead ass emotional and intellectual hack, he's the enemy of sound-- even physics even!!-- let alone "jazz," or "creative improvised music (featuring 'telepathic interplay)" or whatever genre he's trying to glom onto the for benefit nothing but his own desperate worth-by-association shuck.

he's not the only one who sucks; I accidentally heard parts of a radio show dedicated to drummer Dave King yesterday and the Bad Plus parts were-- surprise!!-- fucking horrific. wow, these chumps listen to crappy rock music and try to make "jass" from it...

swift are the winds life for dummies, eh dipshits?

>>>>>> Vandermark + all Bad Plus combined forever and always (to say the least)--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZvieim9lyM

Not a Ken Vandermark fan.

I am, in certain contexts. He's made some interesting albums. Sometimes he leaves me a little cold in the same way that Jeff Beck leaves me cold. I thought that the V5 took a little bit of a dip after FLH joined. The Alchemia set is good in very small doses for me.

Interesting comparison, not one I would have ever thought to make...

I know KV is not for everyone and although he is playing in NYC tonight I cannot make it but I would have found a way if it was DKV or Mats with the great AALY trio.....

That being said, I can't imagine, except for the most jaded jazz fan, to not devour the Chicago set from Live in Wels and Chicago. The last two tracks: Burning Sky and Blues for Tomorrow are 35 plus minutes of pure brilliance from all three including KV.

And there are passages on the new box that rival those driving, raging, dynamic groove based excursions of creative instant composition/improvisational.

Fact is that the trio is very unique jazz band that really has comparative ensemble in this music

• 1 month later...

Just ordered two great-looking cross-pollinated releases: Aquarius by Nicole Mitchell on Delmark and Unknown Known by Josh Abrams on Rogue Art. Both feature the core trio of Abrams, Adasiewicz, and Frank Rosaly with Mitchell and David Boykin respectively.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but there's no way the new Altschul/Fonda/Irabagon album on TUM could not be great.

I received it a couple of days ago. It's excellent. I caught Altschul with the Ullman-Swell 4 last year in Buffalo, and Altschul is still at the top of his game. I'd love to hear an Altschul/(Hilliard) Greene duo album.