Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is he hiding? Did he have anything to do with Gov. Christie and that bridge thing???

From this YouTube clip description:

"mythical master madman Roscoe Mitchell & palpitation jester harpoon shinobu Kikanju Baku improvise live in London Jan 2013!!!"

Palpitation jester?

Who is Kikanju Baku?

No idea - but he (or someone looking very similar) was at the Cafe Oto January 2013 concerts; didn't (in my opinion) bring a lot to the proceedings after the first five minutes.

Pity - I'd have bought a Mitchell/Taborn duo CD without a second thought. The addition seems something of a subtraction - but I may be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty quiet on the new release front at the moment, looking forward to the arrival of the new Mary Halvorson and Allen Lowe albums, but apart from that... From what i've picked up on artist's websites and blogs and in interviews there's a lot of stuff to look forward to in 2014, the lack of release dates keeps me hanging though (will it come out this month? will it come out in December?). Anyway just to get my own thoughts straight and to keep the new release fires burning, here's some random stuff i'm looking forward to coming out sometime this year (sooner or later but at least confirmed):

- New Steve Lehman Octet on Pi (pretty monumental for those that dig their last outing)

- New Wayne Shorter on BN

- New JD Allen

- New The Bad Plus x 2 (Rite of Spring and a traditional TBP album)

- New Aram Shelton (Ton Trio) coming out on Singlespeed Music

Could have sworn i had a longer list in my head. Anyway, this is not a wish list, this is stuff that is confirmed = i'm sure there'll be many other pleasant surprises along the way, as usual. Must be due for the latest Clean Feed drop soon; can be hit or miss for me, interest wise, but you never know what gem's there'll be among the latest batch.

Relative Pitch Records has go t some cool stuff coming this month:

http://www.relativepitchrecords.com/

rpr_130111_r2a.jpg

Why is he hiding? Did he have anything to do with Gov. Christie and that bridge thing???

From this YouTube clip description:

"mythical master madman Roscoe Mitchell & palpitation jester harpoon shinobu Kikanju Baku improvise live in London Jan 2013!!!"

Palpitation jester?

I can't see a damn thing but Roscoe is blowing up a storm.

As xybert mentioned, we were due for a new batch from Clean Feed and they're now listed on their site:

Kris Davis Trio - Waiting for You to Grow

Kullhammar/Aalberg/Zetterberg - Basement Sessions Vol. 2

Michael Dessen Trio2 - Resonating Abstractions
John Hebert Trio - Floodstage
Matt Bauder & Day in Pictures - Nightshades
I'm excited for the Davis, Hebert and Bauder discs especially, although I'm still trying to catch up with Davis' output from last year! The first Day in Pictures CD, also on Clean Feed, was really great.

Thanks for the link. Looking forward to the Kris Davis. I picked up some Bauder discs during the last Clean Feed clearance sale; good, but they didn't really grab me. I'll need to listen to them again. Hebert should be good too. Kullhammer and Dessen I'm unfamiliar with; will need to catch up.

Thanks for posting. The Bauder is the must buy for me among this batch; not an earth shattering record but i really enjoyed Day In Pictures and am a big fan of his playing in Harris Eisenstadt's Canada Day. I'm way behind on Kris Davis (i think Malaby's Novela is all i have), this trio album might be a good place to start.

Thanks for the link. Looking forward to the Kris Davis. I picked up some Bauder discs during the last Clean Feed clearance sale; good, but they didn't really grab me. I'll need to listen to them again. Hebert should be good too. Kullhammer and Dessen I'm unfamiliar with; will need to catch up.

Bauder's "Day in Pictures" group is very different from Memorize the Sky, a cooperative trio exploring lower case improv. Dessen is on the recent Mark Dresser disc on Clean Feed.

Bauder's "Day in Pictures" group is very different from Memorize the Sky, a cooperative trio exploring lower case improv. Dessen is on the recent Mark Dresser disc on Clean Feed.

I have both Bauder CDs. I recall now the differences between the discs. "Day in Pictures" has a nice line-up. Just don't recall it having much of an impact on me on first hearing, but 2nd time around might be the charm.

They do keep 'em coming don't they. I was initially very taken by the first Day in Pictures but it has faded for me (I really enjoy Bauder in Memorize the Sky). I posted elsewhere how I struggle with Davis's Capricorn Climber of which I had high hopes so like Xybert I may try the trio. As I generally enjoy Delbecq's recordings the Hebert looks tempting.

I'll admit to waiting for Clean Feeds to hit Spotify these days so I can sample. I'm just listening to the Pascal Niggenkemper Vision 7 from the last batch - vocalist is currently generating a case of "Irene Aebi flight syndrome" in me

A friend of mine calls the Clean Feed label: " The best work of second-best groups." Unfair, yes, but funny. And some particles of truth there too.

Early on the ratio of hits to misses was pretty high (Malaby/Tamarindo, Evan Parker, John Butcher, Golia, Gayle, et al), but that ratio may have dropped of late.

That quote made me laugh.and yes, I've found a case of diminishing returns although my last purchase batch of the Wadada/Sanchez, Nate Wooley and the McPhee solo were all top notch.

I like that they record a lot of musicians that I've not necessarily heard and I hope they continue to be able to throw the net wide. Another recent 'hit' was Tone Hunting by a Polish/German quartet of whom i'd only heard the trumpeter. Took the risk and it paid off.

Listening to the Eric Revis with Kris Davis and Andrew Cyrille and it's impressive stuff

I'm not sure that Clean Feed records that many of the sessions they release. Quite often (don't know what percentage) the artist(s) bring the tape to Clean Feed (or CF solicits artists they have an interest in), who packages and distributes it. I think this is the reason for the wide variances. To be fair, CF does not issue too many stinkers. If I had to give them an overall grade, it would be "B". But a lot of Bs can get discouraging at $15.95 a pop.

@CraigP: Funny, I had the opposite thought ^_^ but maybe the better albums come from those who have been playing together for a while, whatever the idiom they are in.