Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first volume of the Creative Music Studios Archive Collection is due for release. 3 CDs of small ensembles, orchestras and world music. Some really intriguing stuff here!

http://www.innova.mu/albums/creative-music-studio/archive-selections-vol-1

Small groups with Blackwell & Brackeen, a David Izenon trio, Oppens & Rzewski and Emery & Jenkins. Orchestras by Oliver Lake, Olu Dara & Roscoe Mitchell.

That looks very interesting indeed

I like the looks of Discs 1 and 2 quite a bit, Disc 3 not so much.

My sentiments exactly. I'm still considering the set (live near Woodstock and it's a local thing). Anyone heard it?.

Latest drop from Clean Feed is out, among them the new Tamarindo album from Tony Malaby. Tamarindo is a hole in my Malaby experience, never listened to a full album so i'm looking forward to getting in to this.

That definitely has my interest. xybert, try to pick up the original Tamarindo release next time Clean Feed has a sale, you can get it for half price. Avoid the "live" version; it has production problems.

And for fans of Jason Adasiewicz, of which I know at least colinmce, there's this that was new to me

http://www.veto-records.ch/exchange/

I don't know the label but looks interesting. I had trouble locating a source but ended up getting one direct from the artist

Christoph Erb is a new name to me.

Anybody heard him?

Lots of good people on his releases.

Erb is Swiss, but spends a lot of time in Chicago. His Veto releases have always struck me as being of the "let's get some guys in studio for a few hours and just roll the tape" type of free improv w/o much forethought as to what they were going to do. They're sort of the modern free improv version of '50s blowing sessions albums -- not bad, but certainly no one's best work. Of the Veto releases I've heard the best one was Erb's album w/ Keefe with two bass clarinets and two cellos -- name of it completely escapes me at the moment.

Scott

Thanks for that input.

Check out these YT vids of Erb. I like what I hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSPK8ja6MBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcLhQPaGi7I

Latest drop from Clean Feed is out, among them the new Tamarindo album from Tony Malaby. Tamarindo is a hole in my Malaby experience, never listened to a full album so i'm looking forward to getting in to this.

I heard samples on YouTube of the Angles 9 CD/LP and it sounds great. I'm intrigued by the Cene Resnik release - not familiar with him.

I heard samples on YouTube of the Angles 9 CD/LP and it sounds great. I'm intrigued by the Cene Resnik release - not familiar with him.

Yeah, for me both the Tamarindo and new Angles 9 albums will be sure picks. I still play the Angles - Epileptical West album on regular basis.

On another note: has anyone heard the new Matthew Shipp Trio album in full yet (Root of Things)? I'm still hesitating on this one.

[... deleted ...]

On another note: has anyone heard the new Matthew Shipp Trio album in full yet (Root of Things)? I'm still hesitating on this one.

I feel it has a "bite" that was somehow missing on his other recent trio sets (which seemed to be smoothing out the edges a little too much).

[... deleted ...]

I feel it has a "bite" that was somehow missing on his other recent trio sets (which seemed to be smoothing out the edges a little too much).

I liked "Root of Things" - if nothing else, it represents Shipp's current state of the art.

Thanks for the input!

I think I will pull the trigger on this one eventually this year, but my next order will be the new Tamarindo, Angles 9 and Perelman/Shipp/Parker (Book of Sound) album.

Speaking of Perelman, he has an upcoming duo with Mat Maneri, Two Men Walking

I'm afraid I just don't get the attraction with Perelman. He records - a lot - with some great people, but to me he's not that interesting an improviser and he goes into ear-piercing registers too often. I'm curious what others think.

I have it and like it a lot. Some of it is familiar from the few times I have heard the trio live, but there also seems to be something different happening with the trio. If you are a fan, definitely worth hearing.

More Laubrock with usual suspects plus some of her old London usual suspects

http://www.intaktrec.ch/221-a.htm

I've grown to quite like this . I want too sure at first but it works pretty well .

Tom Rainey on the xylophone! How do you like that?

I'm afraid I just don't get the attraction with Perelman. He records - a lot - with some great people, but to me he's not that interesting an improviser and he goes into ear-piercing registers too often. I'm curious what others think.

I love Ivo. If you see him live you can understand that his passion is intense but somewhat paradoxically under control. In another post earlier today, I called it fire and ice. I love that high pitch, just like I like it with Urs Leimgruber. It makes an almost physical pressure, it gets into your brain, and it gets beyond the polite mannerisms that many sax players are constrained by. He does make a lot of records, and I can't keep up with them. But with the right partners, he makes some powerful albums.

I see him pretty much the same way, though I'm sure I'd enjoy hearing him live, but I stay away from the recordings...