Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet that was recorded at the stone last year - good concert.

that Sun Rooms disc is real strong. He's definitely now come into his own as an individual; rounding off some of those attractively sharp edges has not diluted his music in any way.

I don't think it was The Stone performance (which was wonderful). I think they went into the studio a couple of days later for the recording.

ah.

Got a preview listen to Pomegranate last night, which will be out in early 2015 on New Atlantis. Stephen Haynes, Joe Morris, William Parker, Ben Stapp and Warren Smith. It's unreal. Full disclosure: it was while zipping down the highway in Stephen's car, stereo at full blast.

Edited by clifford_thornton

A few listens through Malaby's Taramindo recording "Somos Agua" and I'm finally ready to give a full recommendation. It took some time after seeing the band from a few feet away to be able to "hear" the trio with some perspective.

It really does capture in microcosm what they do live. Nasheet is captured very well on record which is not an easy thing to accomplish. If interested, simply listen to him on the first track where he starts out strong but towards the end of the medium length piece, he is doing what only he can do - those poly-poly rhythms with power and force that seemingly almost pushes Makaby's tenor over the edge.

Some more passages as good as this throughout the hour.

Looking forward to seeing the trio again on 10/25 with Michael Formanek in place of William Parker. They are playing both Friday 10/24 & Saturday night - 2 sets each night - @ Cornelia Street Cafe.

I only listened once. Haven't been in the mood to put it on again, but I liked it. Low key, but intense.

The band is not an easy listen. It may be described as low-key but intense.

Very intense, often obtuse and very challenging. My viewpoint is that it must also be very challenging for them to play this music. They never take the easy way out. It seems like they try to create musical situations that have no solution and yet somehow they often find one. The highs are extraordinary yet it can take some time (often much time from experiences in seeing them live) to get to those incredible peaks.

They are like no other saxophone-bass-drums trio I've heard

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Good to know that Somos Agua has Steve's seal of approval. Sincerely. It's the only Tamarindo album that i have and it's nice to know that long term fans of the group dig it, especially after the controversy around the sound on their last album which caused me to skip it.

I dig Somos Agua too. Although it's not an album i spin a lot (doesn't have to be etc) i've kept it on my portable music player since release.

New releases man. I'm going to ramble for a bit, in the mood to take my mind of work... what's coming up? I'm still keen for the new Jason Moran, have been listening to it a bit on Spotify. Do i really need it though?

Things are getting tight at home, among other things we need to put our kid in to day care for an extra day per week, it's $60.00 NZD per day so about an extra $240.00 NZD per month (about $194.00 USD according to some website i just checked). I don't have a set CD budget, although lately i've been thinking about setting myself one. The annual budget i was thinking of in my head i felt was quite generous, but then i did the sums on how much i've already spent this year and i've already spent over three times my proposed annual budget. I felt disgusted with myself, i need to cut back. So i'm probably going to be at the point where i can afford 2-3 new CDs per month, max. No box sets, unless i can somehow work them in to birthdays etc or if we win lotto. So anyway, as selective as i am, i need to be even more selective as i don't want to blow my monthly budget on something i can live without and then next minute something essential gets released.

There's that fear of pulling the plug and missing out. I feel like if i'm not checking out new stuff that some how that continuum is broken. And on a tight budget i will be focusing on new releases... but holy crap there's so, so much old stuff that i really need to hear (truly a case of the more i hear the more i realise i haven't heard and need to hear). The problem is that there are so many new releases that knock me out. Until that stops, until there's a trend in my listening where i'm just encountering too many 'just okay' recordings in a row i'm not going to be able to cut the chord. There's just something about the thought of no longer following new releases that makes me feel sick to my stomach, deathly. It just feels so wrong. Maybe it's a sign that i need to do it, that i'm addicted and i need to go cold turkey for the greater good.

So anyway, i really want to get the new Halvorson on Relative Pitch, i'm actually quite keen for the new Frisell, i still want to catch up on some of Jason Adasiewicz's albums as a leader (the first Sun Rooms album and the Rolldown stuff), there's going to be a new Wayne Shorter album at some point, i should get that new The Bad Plus album, i also want to go back and get that duet album with Steve Lehman and Stephen Crump... hey, we've all got a wish list a mile long... damn it's hard to prioritise...

My recommendations for recent (the last couple of years) must buy recordings include:

Mad Dogs box

Rodrigo Amado - Searching for Adam

Dragonfly Breath

William Parker box - Wood Flute Songs

Code Read - Assif Tsahar, Mark Dresser & Gerry Hemingway

Older recordings that you may have missed - that I believe you will be destroyed by:

Myra Melford - either Alive in the House of Saints and/or Even the Sounds Shine

John Law - Exploded on Impact

Air - Air Time

DKV Trio - Live in Wels and Chicago

AALY trio + Ken Vandermark - Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe and/or Hidden in the Stomach

Available Jelly - both volumes of Live at Nassau

Cluesone Trio - I am an Indian

Gerry Hemingway Quintet - Demon Chaser

All right in your sweet spot - and all, IMO, all time great recordings

Plus the first Tamarindo CD is arguably superior to the latest from the band.

peace and blessings

xybert, I feel your pain and I'm sure others do on this board. I like being up on the new releases and I end up spending more than I should. I made the conscious decision years ago to buy mostly new stuff, but even then, something like the Miles Davis Bootleg series or the live Jimmy Giuffre comes along, and well...

Time is a big limiting factor as well. I never have the time I'd like in a given week to listen to all this stuff that ends up stacking up around the place. With digital as well as physical releases, and more artists releasing stuff on their own labels, there's a ton of good to great music being released in this little niche we love. And you can't keep track of it all, never mind buy it or listen to it.

Any recommendations on the best source(s) to buy recordings on TUM?

I've been out of the loop for a few years and don't see information on who distributes them in the U.S.

Downtown Music Gallery carries TUM releases.

xybert, I feel your pain and I'm sure others do on this board. I like being up on the new releases and I end up spending more than I should. I made the conscious decision years ago to buy mostly new stuff, but even then, something like the Miles Davis Bootleg series or the live Jimmy Giuffre comes along, and well...

Time is a big limiting factor as well. I never have the time I'd like in a given week to listen to all this stuff that ends up stacking up around the place. With digital as well as physical releases, and more artists releasing stuff on their own labels, there's a ton of good to great music being released in this little niche we love. And you can't keep track of it all, never mind buy it or listen to it.

Any recommendations on the best source(s) to buy recordings on TUM?

I've been out of the loop for a few years and don't see information on who distributes them in the U.S.

Downtown Music Gallery carries TUM releases.

I don't buy from DMG - too "complicated" for me.

I've sucessfully purchased TUM CDs from Dusty Groove & even Amazon.

BTW, anyone have a US source for Not Two CDs.

Squidco told me today that Not Two is not interested in selling in the US.

I tried Catalytic Sounds & they wanted $12,75 to ship one CD via USPS. I declined.

Really? I've bought more than one Not Two title on Catalytic and paid about $3 shipping.

All the other Not Two and TUM titles I have purchased were off Discogs, Amazon, or Ebay, most secondhand, some new. I never paid more than about $15 (generally much less) and never had trouble sourcing what I wanted.

Really? I've bought more than one Not Two title on Catalytic and paid about $3 shipping.

All the other Not Two and TUM titles I have purchased were off Discogs, Amazon, or Ebay, most secondhand, some new. I never paid more than about $15 (generally much less) and never had trouble sourcing what I wanted.

I'll check again (Catalytic). Maybe they thought I was in Europe.

The first Tamarindo has the excitement of "the new." The most recent has the fullness of experience. Both very good in their way. I might prefer the first by a small margin.

I'm totally enjoying these:

a2668698377_2.jpg

a1898877445_2.jpg

Some hot playing by Dave Rempis.

AERO-002-CDWallet-4pan1CD_2597-FRONT-460

Rempis is on a roll, am glad to roll along with him.

My recommendations for recent (the last couple of years) must buy recordings include:

Mad Dogs box

Rodrigo Amado - Searching for Adam

Dragonfly Breath

William Parker box - Wood Flute Songs

Code Read - Assif Tsahar, Mark Dresser & Gerry Hemingway

Older recordings that you may have missed - that I believe you will be destroyed by:

Myra Melford - either Alive in the House of Saints and/or Even the Sounds Shine

John Law - Exploded on Impact

Air - Air Time

DKV Trio - Live in Wels and Chicago

AALY trio + Ken Vandermark - Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe and/or Hidden in the Stomach

Available Jelly - both volumes of Live at Nassau

Cluesone Trio - I am an Indian

Gerry Hemingway Quintet - Demon Chaser

All right in your sweet spot - and all, IMO, all time great recordings

Plus the first Tamarindo CD is arguably superior to the latest from the band.

peace and blessings

Thanks for the recs Steve. I have Air Time, but none of the others. Will do my best to check them out.

Yup.

glad you dig.

Thank you sir, I suppose one man's meat etc etc ^_^ . Not sure how or why but Rempis has elevated his game in a substantial way.

I'm totally enjoying these:

a2668698377_2.jpg

Any opinions on which volume of this series might be the most interesting?

In terms of performance, I don't think there is a significant difference between Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 (don't think I have Vol. 2). Vol. 3 might show a bit more comfort level. You might look at the track listings for each CD and see which has the more appealing Lacy composition line-up, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them NB: These albums, like Lacy's albums, need a couple of listens to start getting into them.