Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too bad the packaging is not improved on "Mad Dogs" 2. My package of the first set arrived all off the pegs, with one badly scratched. I had to get Not Two to replace it, rather a hassle for all involved. I'd hate to have that happen again. I might have the dealer open the box before shipment to check condition and put the discs in sleeves.

As for Niels dilemma, I'd say the Cecil Taylor and Tapscott are essentials. I know the Cecil has been banging about for a while, so can probably be picked up when a good price offers, but I'd hate to see the Tapscott go O/P, then get pricey. Those Hats can disappear fast.

Ordered 'Mad Dogs on the Loose' last week. Hoping it's not the same LP-styled presentation as the 5-disc set!

Ordering next week!! My copy just arrived . Same questionable design I regret to say as the earlier edition .All four discs detached from their foam posts . None damage as far as I can see. Disc 1 sounding excellent

The packaging, if it hasn't been pointed out, is actually a little different and much worse than before. My first set arrived with all the discs secured in place on rubber posts. My second set arrived with the discs scattered about mixed with bits of foam that replaced the previously mentioned rubber. Two of the discs are scratched but look playable. Got them in the player now.

I've lightly glued transparent CD envelopes centred over where the foam posts were. Works very well and is better than the discs being loose inside the large outer cover . Curiously the single CD issues I have from Nottwo are rather well packaged.

I'd want to hear that Wooley-KV disc first. I saw them when they first started touring earlier last year as a duo; it didn't really knock my socks off, even though they are two musicians whom I really like. Something didn't mesh that night. Maybe small crowd, maybe they hadn't worked out the material sufficiently. Just seemed there was a lot of unrealized potential. They've been touring steadily since, so I expect that they've honed their performance. Certainly I'd want to see them again if they came my way.

Ordered 'Mad Dogs on the Loose' last week. Hoping it's not the same LP-styled presentation as the 5-disc set!

Ordering next week!!My copy just arrived . Same questionable design I regret to say as the earlier edition .All four discs detached from their foam posts . None damage as far as I can see. Disc 1 sounding excellent

The packaging, if it hasn't been pointed out, is actually a little different and much worse than before. My first set arrived with all the discs secured in place on rubber posts. My second set arrived with the discs scattered about mixed with bits of foam that replaced the previously mentioned rubber. Two of the discs are scratched but look playable. Got them in the player now. I've lightly glued transparent CD envelopes centred over where the foam posts were. Works very well and is better than the discs being loose inside the large outer cover . Curiously the single CD issues I have from Nottwo are rather well packaged.

Despite even potentially worse packaging on the 4 CD box than the first 5 CD box (didn't think that was possible - but do see the comments above), I'll be ordering this set shortly.

Ordering next week!! My copy just arrived . Same questionable design I regret to say as the earlier edition .All four discs detached from their foam posts . None damage as far as I can see. Disc 1 sounding excellent

The packaging, if it hasn't been pointed out, is actually a little different and much worse than before. My first set arrived with all the discs secured in place on rubber posts. My second set arrived with the discs scattered about mixed with bits of foam that replaced the previously mentioned rubber. Two of the discs are scratched but look playable. Got them in the player now. I've lightly glued transparent CD envelopes centred over where the foam posts were. Works very well and is better than the discs being loose inside the large outer cover . Curiously the single CD issues I have from Nottwo are rather well packaged.

Despite even potentially worse packaging on the 4 CD box than the first 5 CD box (didn't think that was possible - but do see the comments above), I'll be ordering this set shortly.

The method used to secure the CDs - i.e. black foam posts is identical. Those on my copy of the first set (Mad Dogs) are fully intact and all the CDs remain in place. On the second set ( Mad Dogs on the loose) as indicated above, all four were completely deformed on arrival and unable to hold the discs in place in any way. None the less, the music is very fine and has a similar audio quality to the earlier set.

The method used to secure the CDs - i.e. black foam posts is identical. Those on my copy of the first set (Mad Dogs) are fully intact and all the CDs remain in place. On the second set ( Mad Dogs on the loose) as indicated above, all four were completely deformed on arrival and unable to hold the discs in place in any way. None the less, the music is very fine and has a similar audio quality to the earlier set.

Clue was in the set's name perhaps? :)

As for Niels dilemma, I'd say the Cecil Taylor and Tapscott are essentials. I know the Cecil has been banging about for a while, so can probably be picked up when a good price offers, but I'd hate to see the Tapscott go O/P, then get pricey. Those Hats can disappear fast.

Thanks everyone for the input on my question! I think the going OOP issue regarding the Horace Tapscott release is a good one, so I think the additions to my shure shots will be the Horarce Tapscott and I think I will also order Waclaw Zimpel's Stone Fog as well. Just about everything that guy releases is essential in my book!

when I bought an out of print Dark Tree volume one maybe in 1995 or so, I was the only one I knew that had it. The only place I ever heard about either volume was in The Penguin Guide.

Tapscott was unknown to mostly everyone before the two arabesque recordings that came out in 1996 and 1997. By this time the bulletin boards were up and running and I only found one person who had ever listened to him - so The Dark Tree became the ultimate avant-garde disc to get once some people heard the great Aiee The Phantom and then Thoughts of Dar Es Salaam - hence kind of the equivalent to Hank Mobley's Straight, No Filter, I guess

I got a burned copy of Volume 2 a few years later.

One of the truly great legendary live recordings in the history of this music.

Thanks everyone for the input on my question! I think the going OOP issue regarding the Horace Tapscott release is a good one, so I think the additions to my shure shots will be the Horarce Tapscott and I think I will also order Waclaw Zimpel's Stone Fog as well. Just about everything that guy releases is essential in my book!

Confession here. I've not come across Zimpel at all. I guess Stone Fog is a reasonable place to start ?

Confession here. I've not come across Zimpel at all. I guess Stone Fog is a reasonable place to start ?

I'd suggest starting Zimpel with a Hera disc

http://www.discogs.com/artist/202841-Hera

Great band

Stone Fog is excellent and a bit more reserved and composed than Hera (as is the Olie Brice but you'll find that out soon)

Yeah, for me I like Zimpel most in his Hera and Undivided band. When his music is soaked in different cultures and religions (especially from Eastern Europe) it's when I think it becomes really special. For some reason it just all sounds so deeply from the heart, and with so much melancholy, there are just really not much other players who can touch me on such a basic and primal level.

Yeah, for me I like Zimpel most in his Hera and Undivided band. When his music is soaked in different cultures and religions (especially from Eastern Europe) it's when I think it becomes really special. For some reason it just all sounds so deeply from the heart, and with so much melancholy, there are just really not much other players who can touch me on such a basic and primal level.

beautifully put.

Ollie Brice------ Immune to clockwork --------(Multilulti Project)

Fine recommendation from Mark. There's certainly a melancholic air to this but without the sedating effects you experience with ECM. I'm new to most of the players here . Zimpel and Bonney sound very attractive. Brice's bass is solid too. Early days but I can see this getting plenty of play.

Thanks to mjazzg

Ollie Brice------ Immune to clockwork --------(Multilulti Project)

Fine recommendation from Mark. There's certainly a melancholic air to this but without the sedating effects you experience with ECM. I'm new to most of the players here . Zimpel and Bonney sound very attractive. Brice's bass is solid too. Early days but I can see this getting plenty of play.

Thanks to mjazzg

phew....a pleasure. I found it revealed more with famaliarity. Initially the tunes melded together but their individuality emerged for me.

Mark Hanslip is well worth investigating, especially live if you have the chance

Too bad the packaging is not improved on "Mad Dogs" 2. My package of the first set arrived all off the pegs, with one badly scratched. I had to get Not Two to replace it, rather a hassle for all involved. I'd hate to have that happen again. I might have the dealer open the box before shipment to check condition and put the discs in sleeves.

I emailed Not Two a while ago and asked them if they could replace my cd 1 of that first boxset. I haven't got any reply so far... :/