Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I'll be self-indulgent and create a separate topic, but I just thought I'd mention that my first piano trio recording is now available digitally (I have physical copies too, though the official release date for that in the UK is 13th April)...if you're curious, please do check it out here: http://alexanderhawkinsmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

It's a first foray for me into self-release, which I've been interested in for a while...so I'd be really delighted if people were interested in the physical thing. That said, hopefully the digital sounds great too, and it should come with a download of liner notes etc. (by the brilliant Richard Williams)...

I guess I'll be self-indulgent and create a separate topic, but I just thought I'd mention that my first piano trio recording is now available digitally (I have physical copies too, though the official release date for that in the UK is 13th April)...if you're curious, please do check it out here: http://alexanderhawkinsmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

It's a first foray for me into self-release, which I've been interested in for a while...so I'd be really delighted if people were interested in the physical thing. That said, hopefully the digital sounds great too, and it should come with a download of liner notes etc. (by the brilliant Richard Williams)...

Sounding good. Email sent, I'm a physical listener.

Just as an FYI, i ordered a CD from Clean Feed just under two weeks ago but hadn't received a shipping notice (have ordered from them dozens of times and usually receive notice within a few days). I sent them a friendly email to follow up and got a reply apologising that shipping has been delayed by two weeks due to the high volume of orders they've received. Just posting as an FYI in case anyone is waiting for something from CF, but also to note that it's great to hear that they are apparently getting lots of orders! :tup

I actually find that early Milo Fine stuff to be pretty weird and interesting.

I super dig those early LPs from Minnesota.

I only know the Hat with McPhee. Which other ones would you suggest checking out?

Blue Freedom's New Art Transformation and Improvisations/Being Free are also good, albeit hard to find LPs.

• 2 weeks later...

20381.jpg

BATTLE PIECES - Nate Wooley (tp), Ingrid Laubrock (ts), Matt Moran (vbes), Sylvie Courvoisier (p)- Relative Pitch.

I don't think this has gotten much discussion here, so thought I'd mention it. Somewhat somber, single-minded, reminiscent of "Throw Down Your Hammer" (but not as austere), another Nate Wooley album that grows on one. Here's is some You Tube video from the concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2do6jG5UpHo

I liked seeing these pieces performed at Roulette, but haven't heard the disc. Considering my ability to keep up, or lack thereof, I probably won't.

I can't remember if you're into psych, but all those late 60s/70s Michael Yonkers LPs are excellent. I believe he is credited with production or engineering on at least one of Fine's LPs.

20381.jpg

BATTLE PIECES - Nate Wooley (tp), Ingrid Laubrock (ts), Matt Moran (vbes), Sylvie Courvoisier (p)- Relative Pitch.

I don't think this has gotten much discussion here, so thought I'd mention it. Somewhat somber, single-minded, reminiscent of "Throw Down Your Hammer" (but not as austere), another Nate Wooley album that grows on one. Here's is some You Tube video from the concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2do6jG5UpHo

thanks. It'll be in my next order from the label the day the Matana solo disc is released. I don't know "Throw Down Your Hammer", maybe I should.

I liked seeing these pieces performed at Roulette, but haven't heard the disc. Considering my ability to keep up, or lack thereof, I probably won't.

I can't remember if you're into psych, but all those late 60s/70s Michael Yonkers LPs are excellent. I believe he is credited with production or engineering on at least one of Fine's LPs.

Yeah, I heard a few of those back in the day by dint of having lots of MPLS friends. Not a very committed psych head, but I dig those ones and things here and there.

Announced by Umlaut Records. Clips on the website.

This could be the stuff dreams are made of.

Bengt Nordström
Sven-Åke Johansson
Alexander v. Schlippenbach

Orchestra

A unique 3CD-box from Umlaut Records putting in attention the musical collaborations between two of Sweden’s most headstrong musicians: the pioneers Bengt “Frippe” Nordström and Sven-Åke Johansson. The previously non-released music was recorded in Stockholm 1970, 1977 and 1982 and portrait the musicians both in format of a trio, including legendary pianist Alexander von Schlippenbach, and in a large orchestra led by Johansson including, at the time, young groundbreaking jazz musicians from Sweden, like Bernt Rosengren, Roland Keijser, Björn Alke and Bengt Berger.

This Stockholm Connection not only connects Central Europe with the Scandinavian scene of improvised music and jazz, but also put in attention the very important hidden role Bengt “Frippe” Nordström played for the development of this music in USA and beyond (he was the one who released the two first albums of his friend Albert Ayler in 1962 and 1963). The breath of Ayler is heard through the questioning saxophone of Frippe in this historical 3CD-box. At the same time, this music is not only presented as a historical guidance. The perspectives distort, and we hear something, almost alarming, actual. A music unfolding the scenery of the current gray haze of today. As if in a remembrance. The past glimpse of the future.

The box also includes extensive text material, photos and cuttings from among others Thomas Millroth, Orkester Journalen, Musics, and Joel Grip.

Edited by corto maltese

Mentioned above but worth the full Emanem description. THis one has me excited; will definitely buy:

JOHN RUSSELL / PHIL DURRANT / JOHN BUTCHER "Conceits" (1987/1992) Emanem 5036
A reissue of the first LP by the exceptionally fine improvising trio of John Russell (guitar), Phil Durrant (violin and trombone) and John Butcher (saxophones). This group came into being in 1984 after Russell and Durrant had spent the previous two years performing in private with another saxophonist. For this debut LP, made in 1987, they performed eleven short pieces. This CD has been expanded by the inclusion of a previously unissued extended concert performance made a few years later. The strong beginnings of one of the best improvising groups of the 1980s and 1990s. Reissue of Acta LP 1 with extra material. 54 minutes.

post-13003-0-26645600-1428355777_thumb.j

Pomegranate

New Atlantis Records

Stephen Haynes/cornets

Joe Morris/guitar

Ben Stapp/tuba

William Parker/contrabass violin, sintir, bass shakuhachi

Warren Smith/drums and percussion, marimba

I Sillage

II Mangui Fii Reek (I Am Still Here)

III Pomegranate

IV Becoming

V Crepuscular

VI Odysseus (Lashed to the Mast)

All tracks, Stephen Haynes, Somnambulist Music, BMI

March 15 & 16, 2013

Firehouse 12, New Haven, CT

Studio and live (#3 & #4)

Recorded and mastered by Nick Lloyd

Produced by Stephen Haynes

This project is a dedication to Bill Dixon: teacher, colleague and friend.

Wanted to let folks know that my long-awaited recording, Pomegranate, on New Atlantis Records, will arrive during the first week of June 2015. Pre-order is already available on a number of sites (e.g., Downtown Music Gallery). Content is winging it's way to critics/writers, and I am in the midst of mailing packages to 100 Indiegogo supporters.

Re: the delay - long story short - we opted to move the release back a bit in order to better utilize a special promotion effort on the part of our domestic/international distributors.

metteandchris.jpg

Got a chance to listen to this one, coming out shortly on Relative Pitch. The duo format will likely remind one of "And Other Desert Towns" with Laubrock and Rainey, but this album is several degrees heavier, with Mette and Corsano dropping bombs all over the place. Some of Corsano's heaviest drumming in quite a while, and Mette there every step of the way. A good one.

attachicon.gifPomegranate.jpg

Pomegranate

New Atlantis Records

Stephen Haynes/cornets

Joe Morris/guitar

Ben Stapp/tuba

William Parker/contrabass violin, sintir, bass shakuhachi

Warren Smith/drums and percussion, marimba

I Sillage

II Mangui Fii Reek (I Am Still Here)

III Pomegranate

IV Becoming

V Crepuscular

VI Odysseus (Lashed to the Mast)

All tracks, Stephen Haynes, Somnambulist Music, BMI

March 15 & 16, 2013

Firehouse 12, New Haven, CT

Studio and live (#3 & #4)

Recorded and mastered by Nick Lloyd

Produced by Stephen Haynes

This project is a dedication to Bill Dixon: teacher, colleague and friend.

Wanted to let folks know that my long-awaited recording, Pomegranate, on New Atlantis Records, will arrive during the first week of June 2015. Pre-order is already available on a number of sites (e.g., Downtown Music Gallery). Content is winging it's way to critics/writers, and I am in the midst of mailing packages to 100 Indiegogo supporters.

Re: the delay - long story short - we opted to move the release back a bit in order to better utilize a special promotion effort on the part of our domestic/international distributors.

I don't buy from DMG. Who else will have it? Squidco?

I don't buy from DMG. Who else will have it? Squidco?

Squidco has Pomegranate available as a pre-order, if I am not mistaken. And yes, you should be able to pre-order from the label. Thanks for your interest in the music, and for your abiding patience with the production/release cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

Bengt Nordström

Sven-Åke Johansson

Orchestra

A unique 3CD-box from Umlaut Records putting in attention the musical collaborations between two of Sweden’s most headstrong musicians: the pioneers Bengt “Frippe” Nordström and Sven-Åke Johansson. The previously non-released music was recorded in Stockholm 1970, 1977 and 1982 and portrait the musicians both in format of a trio, including legendary pianist Alexander von Schlippenbach, and in a large orchestra led by Johansson including, at the time, young groundbreaking jazz musicians from Sweden, like Bernt Rosengren, Roland Keijser, Björn Alke and Bengt Berger.

This Stockholm Connection not only connects Central Europe with the Scandinavian scene of improvised music and jazz, but also put in attention the very important hidden role Bengt “Frippe” Nordström played for the development of this music in USA and beyond (he was the one who released the two first albums of his friend Albert Ayler in 1962 and 1963). The breath of Ayler is heard through the questioning saxophone of Frippe in this historical 3CD-box. At the same time, this music is not only presented as a historical guidance. The perspectives distort, and we hear something, almost alarming, actual. A music unfolding the scenery of the current gray haze of today. As if in a remembrance. The past glimpse of the future.

The box also includes extensive text material, photos and cuttings from among others Thomas Millroth, Orkester Journalen, Musics, and Joel Grip.

Nicely produced set in good to very good sound. I can sort of understand the decision to make it a 3 Cd set as it emphasises the distinct identity of each recording session. This however means, disc One lasts just 20 minutes, disc two 44 minutes and disc three 46 minutes. Given the sensible pricing one can't really grumble but it's certainly a different strategy to normal.

Bengt Nordström

Sven-Åke Johansson

Orchestra

Nicely produced set in good to very good sound. I can sort of understand the decision to make it a 3 Cd set as it emphasises the distinct identity of each recording session. This however means, disc One lasts just 20 minutes, disc two 44 minutes and disc three 46 minutes. Given the sensible pricing one can't really grumble but it's certainly a different strategy to normal.

I agree. I think the split of sessions across the discs works very well. I've found it a very enlightening listen on the couple of spins I've given it so far