• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New release from Rattle records:

Transcendence_2689x2400.jpg

Greek pianist/composer Tania Giannouli follows her 2012 Rattle debut (Forest Stories, with Paulo Chagas) with a recording featuring the newly formed Tania Giannouli Ensemble. With influences as diverse as contemporary classical, Greek folk music, modern jazz, world music and European avant-garde, Transcendence is an intoxicating, musically literate tour-de-force. These richly textured, beautifully balanced compositions are performed with great rigour, lyricism and passion, but above all they are strikingly honest and direct.

Tania Giannouli (piano)

Alexandros Botinis (cello)
Guido de Flaviis (saxophones)
Solis Barki (percussion, idiophones)
and guest musician Giannis Notaras (drums)
Transcendence
01 The Weeping Willow (4:15)
02 The Sea (7:27)
03 Sun Dance (5:29)
04 The Time Will Come (3:10)
05 Faster That Wear (3:40)
06 From Foreign Lands (6:32)
07 Obsession (5:34)
08 Mad World (8:05)
09 Untold (4:57)
All compositions © Tania Giannouli, 2014

TRANSCENDENCE

Tania Giannouli Ensemble

Produced by Tania Giannouli

Recorded by Philip Marinelis

Mixed by Costas Bokos

Photography by Ilias Bourgiotis

Design by UnkleFranc

Printing by Studio Q

http://www.rattlerecords.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=305&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96XYeUjVel4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS4Jb42nIaM

Edited by Tania Giannouli

r4ozbkzqrfqk0sxdd4uw.jpg
RE: Pomegranate

Wanted to share the news that my new album, Pomegranate is now in the preview and pre-order stage and will see release on June 9. Thanks to all of you who supported the process of creating this work, and thanks to all of you who have has patience with the rate of speed of our production schedule. We have learned much during this dance and are already stirring the pots on a new project/release as well as the start of my own imprint, Sound Envelope (initially, for the release of unreleased archival material) in collaboration with Ed Ricart and New Atlantis Records.

Preview in Burning Ambulance
http://burningambulance.com/2015/05/08/stephen-haynes/

Pre-Order and Information at New Atlantis Records
http://newatlantisrecords.com/product/na-cd-015

some of us have no option but to pay in £. Although before USPS price hikes it used to be cheaper to re-import some items which was some kind of madness

Just spotted this in the text about Threadgill's new album on the Pi Recordings site

"Liberty Ellman, who will release Radiance, his first new album as a leader since 2006s Ophiuchus Butterfly later this year"

now that I am excited about.....as I am about the new Zooid

some of us have no option but to pay in £. Although before USPS price hikes it used to be cheaper to re-import some items which was some kind of madness

Just spotted this in the text about Threadgill's new album on the Pi Recordings site

"Liberty Ellman, who will release Radiance, his first new album as a leader since 2006s Ophiuchus Butterfly later this year"

now that I am excited about.....as I am about the new Zooid

Great to hear about the new Liberty Ellman album. A lot has happened since Ophiuchus Butterfly, can't wait to hear what he comes out with.

And yeah the new Zooid... fast approaching, can't wait.

Four new ones on No Business:

Berger/Knuffke CD

Howard Riley LP

Covergence Quartet LP

Keune/Lash/Noble LP

Schlippenbach/Hubweber/Schubert/Thomas/Keller CD

I generally avoid their LPs but will make an exception for the new CQ!

Edited by colinmce

Berger/Knuffke CD

Howard Riley LP

Covergence Quartet LP

Keune/Lash/Noble LP

Why do you avoid their LPs?

From my POV I'm reluctant to invest in their vinyl as pressings have been highly variable. Additionally the sound isn't all what you might expect ( a bit flat and lacking sparkle) which had led me to wonder if they are simply using digital masters for their LPs. I'm likely though to make an exception for Alex's new Convergence Quartet , which is LP only to the best of my knowledge.

From my POV I'm reluctant to invest in their vinyl as pressings have been highly variable. Additionally the sound isn't all what you might expect ( a bit flat and lacking sparkle) which had led me to wonder if they are simply using digital masters for their LPs. I'm likely though to make an exception for Alex's new Convergence Quartet , which is LP only to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for the response. I asked because I just put in an order for this one: Tchicai/McBee/Fewell/Kohlhase/Hart - "Tribal Ghost". My main question was the short play time (even for a LP) but the clips I heard were just so darn good.

I will try to get the Convergence Quartet also. A favorite group of mine.

I have several vinyls from Nobusiness, and although they maybe don't stand out sound wise I have no problems with them either (but of course everybody has different standards/preferences when listening to music). I also bought the Tribal Ghost album, and think it is fantastic! One of my most played records of the last few years, and I'm quite sure you won't regret your purchase if you loved the short clips you heard.

Berger/Knuffke CD

Howard Riley LP

Covergence Quartet LP

Keune/Lash/Noble LP

I avoid LPs in general just because I prefer CDs and listen to 99% of my music in the kitchen or in the car. But I also find NB LPs (and new vinyl in general) to be overpriced. I will get the Convergence album but it will run me more than $25 and I think that's both unfeasible and a little nuts.

I agree that Tribal Ghost is great.

Berger/Knuffke CD

Howard Riley LP

Covergence Quartet LP

Keune/Lash/Noble LP

I avoid LPs in general just because I prefer CDs and listen to 99% of my music in the kitchen or in the car. But I also find NB LPs (and new vinyl in general) to be overpriced. I will get the Convergence album but it will run me more than $25 and I think that's both unfeasible and a little nuts.

I agree that Tribal Ghost is great.

I hear what you are saying about the price but sometimes I splurge a little. Plus I really do like to play records. Way back when I grudingly bought a CD player when you couldn't get LPs anymore and now some stuff is only on LPs. Go figure.

I bought the Berger / Knuffke.

I'm tempted by that one but wonder whether the 2CDs is too much for a duet. I'd be interested in your views, if you've time

It's on the way to me from Dusty Groove. I'll report back once I have it.

FWIW, I really like Knuffke.

http://matchlessrecordings.com/node/474

Seems to be available now but the price plus shipping from the label is running just under $68. I'll wait and assume Squidco will have a bit of a better deal.

I getting this

Apparently this a deluxe book/CD/DVD thing so $70 is the actual price. More than I'd prefer to spend on 3CDs but I will get around to it one day. Squidco does have it now.