Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

I bought the Berger / Knuffke.

I'm tempted by that one but wonder whether the 2CDs is too much for a duet. I'd be interested in your views, if you've time

It's on the way to me from Dusty Groove. I'll report back once I have it.

FWIW, I really like Knuffke.

O.K. - got it.

I think it's very nice.

Knuffke is in fine form.

Berger plays piano as well as vibes.

As they say what's not to like.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought the Berger / Knuffke.

I'm tempted by that one but wonder whether the 2CDs is too much for a duet. I'd be interested in your views, if you've time

It's on the way to me from Dusty Groove. I'll report back once I have it.

FWIW, I really like Knuffke.

O.K. - got it.

I think it's very nice.

Knuffke is in fine form.

Berger plays piano as well as vibes.

As they say what's not to like.

Thanks. I think I'll probably go for it. Berger on vibes is worth most entrance fees

attachicon.gifPomegranate.jpg

Pomegranate

New Atlantis Records

Stephen Haynes/cornets

Joe Morris/guitar

Ben Stapp/tuba

William Parker/contrabass violin, sintir, bass shakuhachi

Warren Smith/drums and percussion, marimba

I Sillage

II Mangui Fii Reek (I Am Still Here)

III Pomegranate

IV Becoming

V Crepuscular

VI Odysseus (Lashed to the Mast)

All tracks, Stephen Haynes, Somnambulist Music, BMI

March 15 & 16, 2013

Firehouse 12, New Haven, CT

Studio and live (#3 & #4)

Recorded and mastered by Nick Lloyd

Produced by Stephen Haynes

This project is a dedication to Bill Dixon: teacher, colleague and friend.

Wanted to let folks know that my long-awaited recording, Pomegranate, on New Atlantis Records, will arrive during the first week of June 2015. Pre-order is already available on a number of sites (e.g., Downtown Music Gallery). Content is winging it's way to critics/writers, and I am in the midst of mailing packages to 100 Indiegogo supporters.

Re: the delay - long story short - we opted to move the release back a bit in order to better utilize a special promotion effort on the part of our domestic/international distributors.

The Wire Magazine ‏@thewiremagazine 16m16 minutes ago

Listen: Stephen Haynes's Pomegranate album ft Joe Morris/Warren Smith/William Parker/Ben Stapp on @ohnewatlantis http://bit.ly/1dgGjP2

For those of you who ask me where they can get my new album "Transcendence" (with Tania Giannouli Ensemble, released by Rattle records, New Zealand) and who might think that NZ is very far away:
:: You can order it from the music portal www.el-culto.com. European customers will have their order delivered very fast. By ordering the CD you will additionally get the full album as a download in the format of your choice in highest quality (mp3 or FLAC)
:: You can pay via several ways: Bank transfer (free of charge if based in Europe), credit card, pay pal.
1zgrivk.jpg

http://matchlessrecordings.com/node/474

Seems to be available now but the price plus shipping from the label is running just under $68. I'll wait and assume Squidco will have a bit of a better deal.

I getting this

Apparently this a deluxe book/CD/DVD thing so $70 is the actual price. More than I'd prefer to spend on 3CDs but I will get around to it one day. Squidco does have it now.

Want it.

New Darius Jones coming Aug.21st

Darius Jones - Le Bebe De Brigitte (Lost In Translation)

Interesting, looks like it's coming out on Aum. Wonder if they'll be releasing anything else around that time; i'd love a new album from Eri Yamamoto.

On that day, they will also release a new William Parker 3 CD box, on which Eri Yamamoto will also be playing:

http://news.allaboutjazz.com/william-parker-3-cd-box-set-of-new-works-to-be-released-august-21-on-aum-fidelity.php :)

Edited by niels

Yes, the Wood Flute Songs box is essential stuff for me.

I have to say that the premise of the new box set, doesn't really spark my enthusiasm so that will definately not be a release that I will buy blind. I'm more interested in the Darius Jones in that regard.

I thought Wood Flute Songs was incredibly boring. Really love Parker's playing but I am not sure his group concept is where I'm at these days - a lot of it is probably due to Drake, whom I'm not particularly into 80% of the time (but that other 20% can be sublime).

Different strokes

As in forever, I can listen to Hamid play with most anyone and be energized. I like the quartet. I like Barnes and I really like Rob Brown