Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was referring to the Wood Flute box and other music of the time frame, rather than the forthcoming 3 CD. But it's not surprising that the new box looks backward.

Come to think of it: not much difference.

Edited by Leeway

I thought Wood Flute Songs was incredibly boring. Really love Parker's playing but I am not sure his group concept is where I'm at these days - a lot of it is probably due to Drake, whom I'm not particularly into 80% of the time (but that other 20% can be sublime).

Different strokes

As in forever, I can listen to Hamid play with most anyone and be energized. I like the quartet. I like Barnes and I really like Rob Brown in the group. Certainly Barnes isn't an overly exciting soloist but although the jazz world, my mind and possibly common sense tells me I should be sick of Parker/Drake BUT it has never happened. They continue to hit grooves and create energy/excitement despite the fact they have now been playing together with similar materials seemingly forever.

There are a couple of discs of the 8 I've only listened to on e but for me the 4 quartet discs, the expanded band with Bang, Bradford and Spaulding and the In Order to Survive recording from Vision Fest make up 6 of the 8 discs and they all contain excellent music.

I have to add that I saw the quartet in the fall of 2013 @ The Stone. First night they were augmented by Cooper-Moore and Steve Swell for the first set and the second set was the group with Leena Conquest and Eri Yakamoto. Good sets of music

Second night (the next night - Friday) was the base quartet playing 2 sets - each 70 minutes plus playing mostly familiar material. The blew the roof off the little room. Drake was immense and Rob Brown played some really gritty alto saxophone. My wife *knows* she heard something like she had never heard before. As fresh and exciting groove based music as I've heard live.

Except disc 8 from the box (IOTS) which we saw @ Roulette. This comes across well on record, but my recollection of Cooper-Moore that night will not be forgotten.

I didn't buy the Wood Flute box because it didn't have enough variety. Now if it had had a couple of the large scale pieces from the new box instead of some of the quartet that would make a must-buy box for me.

As it is I'm unlikely to buy either although I've always liked Parker long form so maybe the new one, one day.That orchestral piece ways heavy against though

I would be the first in the queue were the quartet to play London

FWIW, it's probably possible to still find but Wood Flute Songs is OOP.

New Darius Jones coming Aug.21st

Darius Jones - Le Bebe De Brigitte (Lost In Translation)

Interesting, looks like it's coming out on Aum. Wonder if they'll be releasing anything else around that time; i'd love a new album from Eri Yamamoto.

On that day, they will also release a new William Parker 3 CD box, on which Eri Yamamoto will also be playing:

http://news.allaboutjazz.com/william-parker-3-cd-box-set-of-new-works-to-be-released-august-21-on-aum-fidelity.php :)

Yamamoto is good with Parker, but i just love her own trio. One of my favourite piano trios.

I didn't buy the Wood Flute box because it didn't have enough variety. Now if it had had a couple of the large scale pieces from the new box instead of some of the quartet that would make a must-buy box for me.

As it is I'm unlikely to buy either although I've always liked Parker long form so maybe the new one, one day.That orchestral piece ways heavy against though

I'll send the WP quartet to London in exchange for Parker-Edwards-Sanders to NYC

I'll send the WP quartet to London in exchange for Parker-Edwards-Sanders to NYC

Or Foxes Fox or......

I'm with Steve here regarding being a sucker for the fat grooves they create with the quartet. No matter what kind of music, I always loved being sucked in some hypnotic monotonous groove that gets you in a trance like state, and for me the Parker/Drake combo is perfect for doing that (Waclaw Zimpel also is one of those guys who has that ability).

Regarding this kind of music, I'm also highly intrigued by the new Joshua Abrams on Eremite (Magnetoception).

I'm with Steve here regarding being a sucker for the fat grooves they create with the quartet. No matter what kind of music, I always loved being sucked in some hypnotic monotonous groove that gets you in a trance like state, and for me the Parker/Drake combo is perfect for doing that (Waclaw Zimpel also is one of those guys who has that ability).

Regarding this kind of music, I'm also highly intrigued by the new Joshua Abrams on Eremite (Magnetoception).

What Waclaw Zimpel CDs do you recommend I might start with?

Fwiw, I've been thinking about a few of the eremite discs I don't have looking for a blast of that sort of old schoolish free jazz

Or Foxes Fox or......

Sounds a fair exchange. I'll start working on it :)

I'm not Niels who's the big Zimpel fan around here but 'Hera' by Zimpel is very good. Given your drummer preferences you might also like 'Seven Lines' which is Hera with Hamid guesting

Edited by mjazzg

I think those are both very fine starting points for Waclaw Zimpel. I think it is with his Hera project that Zimpel has his most significant "own" sound. My favorite album by him is "Where my Complete Beloved Is" (also Hera); more World Music than Jazz but very deep en spiritual. Also The Passion from Undivided is a masterpiece in my book, well worth a listen.

• 2 weeks later...

Two new releases on Rogeart, and I have to say I'm extremely interested in both of them. Now those are two mouth watering line ups!

The Turbine! (Benjamin Duboc, Harisson Bankhead, Hamid Drake, Ramon Lopez + special guests: William Parker, Jean-Luc Cappozzo, Lionel Garcin) - Entopy/Enthalpy 

Matthew Shipp Quartet Declared Enemy (Matthew Shipp, William Parker, Gerald Cleaver, Sabir Mateen) - Our Lady of the Flowers

"The Flame Alphabet" on not two simply based on a first listen is an exceptionally strong performance - to my ears the best Rodrigo Amado saxophone on record. Maybe surprisingly to some here, my first exposure to the Miguel Mira (cello) & Gabriel Ferrandini (drums).

as mentioned in the WALT thread, besides the awesome music, the sound quality is beyond incredible.

Currently listening to disc 3 of 3 Nights at Café Oto, and all I can say is – awesome. And I’m not even the biggest free improv fan out there, normally I like a balance between composition and improvisation. But all 3 group aggregations kill, and it’s a revelation to hear Eddie Prevost in this context.

• 2 weeks later...

Harris Eisenstadt's Canada Day IV available from his website now.

http://www.harriseisenstadt.com/albums/harris-eisenstadt-2/

As the title implies this is the fourth album from this group of Eisenstadt, Matt Bauder, Nate Wooley, Chris Dingman and various bassists (this time out Pascal Niggenkemper). I've thoroughly enjoyed following along, really looking foward to this one.

61RtRyPgVwL._SS280.jpg

William Parker - For Those Who Are Still samples are up on amazon and itunes.... the sample for Souls Have Fallen Like Rain (track 2 disc 2) and Escapades For Sonny (track 11 disc 3) were the only ones that seemed to grab me.

http://www.amazon.com/Those-Who-Are-Still/dp/B0106XG3FQ/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

and

51a%2BA5EufhL._SS280.jpg

Darius Jones - Le bébé de Brigitte (Lost in Translation) these samples sound fantastic to me.

http://www.amazon.com/bébé-Brigitte-Lost-Translation/dp/B00ZVNW8HO/ref=sr_1_3?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1436807810&sr=1-3&keywords=Darius+Jones

Going back to Parker/Drake for a moment, while Barnes and Brown are "good" I will say that my preference for that rhythm section is with a strong, interesting soloist like Fred Anderson, Kidd Jordan or Peter Brötzmann. They'd probably sound interesting with Marco Eneidi too. I've never had volume two of New World Pygmies but I assume that they sound great with Jemeel Moondoc.

61RtRyPgVwL._SS280.jpg

William Parker - For Those Who Are Still samples are up on amazon and itunes.... the sample for Souls Have Fallen Like Rain (track 2 disc 2) and Escapades For Sonny (track 11 disc 3) were the only ones that seemed to grab me.

http://www.amazon.com/Those-Who-Are-Still/dp/B0106XG3FQ/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

and

51a%2BA5EufhL._SS280.jpg

Darius Jones - Le bébé de Brigitte (Lost in Translation) these samples sound fantastic to me.

http://www.amazon.com/bébé-Brigitte-Lost-Translation/dp/B00ZVNW8HO/ref=sr_1_3?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1436807810&sr=1-3&keywords=Darius+Jones

To be quite honest, I'm not sure about both releases. The premise of the William Parker box already didn't really spark my enthusiasm when I first heard of it, and these samples didn't really changed that. 

I did had high hopes for the Darius Jones album, but boy those kind of vocals are really not my kind of thing so now I'm not sure about this either. First new albums that will be bought (after I'm back from holiday) will be the two new ones on Rogue Art and Double Basse (Benjamin Duboc, Jean-Luc Petit) - This is not Art on Clean Feed.

Going back to Parker/Drake for a moment, while Barnes and Brown are "good" I will say that my preference for that rhythm section is with a strong, interesting soloist like Fred Anderson, Kidd Jordan or Peter Brötzmann. They'd probably sound interesting with Marco Eneidi too. I've never had volume two of New World Pygmies but I assume that they sound great with Jemeel Moondoc.

Rob Brown is an interesting case. At times he can be much better than good, but he can also spend a decent amount of time seemingly searching for something that never comes. I remember within the two sets that I saw live that he hit it real strong about three times during the two sets. Almost worth the wait.

Blue Winter with Fred Anderson on eremite is *the* disc to hear WP/HD with above interesting/great saxophonist 

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who doesn't do vinyl, the recent (otherwise vinyl-only) Convergence Quartet release, 'Owl Jacket', is now available digitally here.

So, for that matter, is the previous one ('Slow and Steady') - although this is also available on CD.

Big thanks to NoBusiness for letting us release them in this form too...please do check out their stuff and order the physical product from them - great people.

For anyone who doesn't do vinyl, the recent (otherwise vinyl-only) Convergence Quartet release, 'Owl Jacket', is now available digitally here.

So, for that matter, is the previous one ('Slow and Steady') - although this is also available on CD.

Big thanks to NoBusiness for letting us release them in this form too...please do check out their stuff and order the physical product from them - great people.

I have the LP and it is wonderful!