Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah ... I'm a bit annoyed by now, since I also think that whenever something is kick-started by a crowd-funding campaign those that help funding it should get a head-start of at least a couple of weeks (but that does not seem to be the case pretty often, at least going from my own limited experience).

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to hearing the album eventually, but as of now, I'm unwilling to buy it since I already did, two years and seven months and some days ago :)

yeah, rub it in <_<

Very sorry to hear this.  Like you, I contributed to the Kickstarter campaign for this terrific recording.  I was lucky enough to attend the R.A.W. performance by the trio of Morris, Haynes, and Bern Nix and got my copies directly from Stephen Haynes.  I don't know who's responsible for sending out the kickstarter copies but it sounds as though they're not doing a very good job.  Best of luck to you.  One strategy might be to contact Stephen directly via facebook.

New Matthew Shipp Trio album out on October 23rd.

http://www.matthewshipp.com/

I see from his discography that I'm several behind already....is he releasing more now or am I slowing down? Maybe I reached saturation point at 'Art of the Improvisor' before which I have nearly all of his releases. That does happen I find

I think he's put out about 15 records since 2010.  Admirable, and I'm sure they're all strong, but no way I can keep up.

I had a handful of Shipp albums but only really started following him after 'Art of the Improvisor'. But yeah, i have to cherry pick. Since AOTI I pretty much get anything by the trio with Bisio and Dickey (although i'm missing Elastic Aspects) and apart from that i've picked up I've Been To Many Places. I guess when someone is prolific, apart from being hard to keep up you also don't get those dry spells where you might go back and check out what you missed. Like, i was actually looking at getting Elastic Aspects when i saw that The Conduct of Jazz was coming out, so i opted to get that instead.

yeah, rub it in <_<

Very sorry to hear this.  Like you, I contributed to the Kickstarter campaign for this terrific recording.  I was lucky enough to attend the R.A.W. performance by the trio of Morris, Haynes, and Bern Nix and got my copies directly from Stephen Haynes.  I don't know who's responsible for sending out the kickstarter copies but it sounds as though they're not doing a very good job.  Best of luck to you.  One strategy might be to contact Stephen directly via facebook.

It's possible that the disc just got lost in the mail.

Promo clip for the new Shipp:

Interesting what he says about how excited he is to sit at the piano each day. I feel like i hear that in his playing on the recent albums of his that i've heard. There's a vitality there. 

I've been listening to a lot of piano trios from the fifties lately. I really enjoy piano trio albums from all eras, but in the midst of this fifties bender i find that if i put on a trio album from from the nineties or beyond, it's like drinking lemonade after brushing your teeth. It just doesn't gel. Overtly retro stuff is so close and yet so far away. More contemporary stuff is just on a totally different post-whatever tip. One exception has been Matthew Shipp's trio albums, which i've kept on rotation and seem to fit seamlessly with my fifties listening. And you know, Shipp's thing is far from retro, but somehow his music just fits with that fifties stuff despite the intervening decades and stylistic differences. Anyway, just a purely subjective thinking aloud observation.

Promo clip for the new Shipp:

Interesting what he says about how excited he is to sit at the piano each day. I feel like i hear that in his playing on the recent albums of his that i've heard. There's a vitality there. 

I've been listening to a lot of piano trios from the fifties lately. I really enjoy piano trio albums from all eras, but in the midst of this fifties bender i find that if i put on a trio album from from the nineties or beyond, it's like drinking lemonade after brushing your teeth. It just doesn't gel. Overtly retro stuff is so close and yet so far away. More contemporary stuff is just on a totally different post-whatever tip. One exception has been Matthew Shipp's trio albums, which i've kept on rotation and seem to fit seamlessly with my fifties listening. And you know, Shipp's thing is far from retro, but somehow his music just fits with that fifties stuff despite the intervening decades and stylistic differences. Anyway, just a purely subjective thinking aloud observation.

Interesting, must investigate...thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

just a question -  and a comment on the current difficulties of improvising - listening to that Laubrock piece from Firehouse - a nice tune called Ubatuba - why do contemporary free improvisers think that increasing speed and quicker, more frequent  punctuations of altissimo squeal and other sonic manipulation involving increased volume indicate and/or mean a build up of ideas and tension? This is the kind of thing that used to drive me crazy about the late Thomas Chapin's soloing; I worked with him a few times, master musician, but every solo built in the same way - more lines, more speed, more honks and split tones and high-note squeals. Felt like I was with JATP.

just wondering, but I think it's a big problem with some players. This, not Sonny Rollins and Trane, is what Tristano should have meant when he described certain players as being 'all emotion, no feeling.'  I think this kind of playing is a trap into which a lot of musicians fall.

What I like about Ayler, in contrast, is that he started at full speed and then just accelerated. That works for me.

Edited by AllenLowe

Interesting point, Allen. This kind of soloing really builds nothing all too often and is totally devoid of real emotion. Don't feel this with, say, Illinois Jacquet or Thomas Chapin, but there are lesser musicians ... sticking to the old ones, Flip Phillips would be one (though he made some good records, too).