Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

That's a tour that a few years ago I'd've expected the Vortex to be listed. Laubrock's played there numerous times before but it seems to me they've dropped off from booking the more adventurous and international acts that they used to. This perceived change does seem to have coincided with Oto's rise.

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hit or miss on Irabagon myself. I've seen/heard him play some stuff I really liked and some stuff that was just all technique - breathtaking, sure, but will I remember it in a few years, much less 30? 

McPhee, on the other hand, has broken my heart and put it back together again in the span of a few minutes. He IS music.

3 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

hit or miss on Irabagon myself. I've seen/heard him play some stuff I really liked and some stuff that was just all technique - breathtaking, sure, but will I remember it in a few years, much less 30? 

McPhee, on the other hand, has broken my heart and put it back together again in the span of a few minutes. He IS music.

This. I only wish so many of his excellent titles were on the, to me, poorly sonically presented CIMP releases. 

I wish people would dig up some McPhee groups from the 80s.  Lots of releases of solo material over the last few years-- Astral Spirits is working on another one from the 70s.  His solo work is amazing, but his Po Music groups of the time are so horribly underrecognized.  I'm sure recordings exist.  60 improvisations were recorded in 1990 for Linear B.

On 5/11/2015 11:14:16, David Ayers said:

In the meantime, a European tour that frustratingly does not take in the uk. Are our promoters asleep??

Kris Davis' Capricorn Climber European tour

Kris Davis (piano) Ingrid Laubrock (tenor saxophone), Mat Maneri (viola), Eivind Opsvik (double bass) and Tom Rainey (drums) 

11/6  Club Manufaktur, Schorndorf/Germany 
11/8  Vrijstaat-O, Oostende/Belgium 
11/9  Strasbourg, France
11/10 La Dynamo, Pantin/France 
11/11 Marburg/Germany 
11/13 Improviser's residence/ Moers
11/14 Spielboden, Dornbirn/Austria

Will be seeing them in Paris (Pantin) next tuesday.

5 hours ago, OliverM said:

Will be seeing them in Paris (Pantin) next tuesday.

I've seen the band 3 times over the past few years and they have been better every time. I imagine by now that Kris has written some new material for the band. For me the whole thing hinges on and is elevated to greatness by Mat Maneri. This is the sort of abstract music with those beguiling Davis melodies and structures that Maneri excels in. Whenever I've seen them, there are a few passages where the music goes to another level when Mat gets in that zone. 

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, uli said:

looks intrigueing

Evan Parker tenor saxophone; Alexander Hawkins piano; Peter Evans trumpet, piccolo trumpet; John Edwards double bass; Hamid Drake percussion.

Filu 'e Ferru

Yes, this one definitely looks interesting! It's on my radar for a few weeks, but I'm having trouble finding available copies somewhere.  

13 hours ago, Clunky said:

Def recommended. 

12 hours ago, mjazzg said:

mine arrived today courtesy of Mr Hawkins. Very efficient service, thank you Alex

Yet to listen to it but the packaging is certainly impressive if nothing else

Mine is also underway from Alexander Hawkins, really looking forward to it!