Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

At the Schlippenbach Trio concert last December he was humming along a bit. He seemed quite good-humoured when addressing the audience.

Same in Warsaw, early March (some photos here - scroll down for some more).

He IS old, after all -- but once he sits down on the piano bench, that's easily forgotten!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Where did you order it from?

Instant Jazz. The same seller from Halle, Belgium (near Brussels) is also active on Discogs as nickel2011. Their mail is picked up once a week by PostNL (Netherlands), and last week's pickup was sadly cancelled due to the terror attack, so the CD has not yet been delivered. However, I have ordered through them in the past without issues.

Edited by erwbol

On 31.3.2016 at 8:46 AM, king ubu said:

And then, I'm quite excited about this one, which is on the way to me:

cf-362cd-600x600.jpg?resize=600%2C600&ss

Leaps in Leicester

Alexander Hawkins | Evan Parker

Evan Parker  tenor saxophone | Alexander Hawkins  piano

first impression is very good indeed :tup:tup:tup 

re: "Filu 'e Ferru", Alex might still have copies available, too!

On 3/7/2016 at 10:08 PM, erwbol said:

Available from the same Brazillian seller through Discogs for only $5.

https://www.discogs.com/Roscoe-Mitchell-Sustain-And-Run-Ao-Vivo-Jazz-Na-FÁBrica/release/8069061

sound clips here:

http://www.sescsp.org.br/online/selo-sesc/349_JAZZ+NA+FABRICA+ROSCOE+MITCHELL+E+ANTHONY+BRAXTON+NO+SELO#/tagcloud=lista

(Same page as for the Braxton release.)

The Mitchell is a solo disc. You can read the entire CD booklets for both the Mitchell and the Braxton on the sound clips page through the two interactive features.

Just received my copy of the Roscoe set from Brazil from this seller. Arrived quickly via recorded/tracked  delivery !! They can't be making too much money with this approach. So if you have an interest in Roscoe or indeed Braxton the risks of ordering from this seller in Sao Paulo would seem to be very low.

On 8.4.2016 at 8:56 PM, Clunky said:

Just received my copy of the Roscoe set from Brazil from this seller. Arrived quickly via recorded/tracked  delivery !! They can't be making too much money with this approach. So if you have an interest in Roscoe or indeed Braxton the risks of ordering from this seller in Sao Paulo would seem to be very low.

Same here, received today within about a week from when I ordered - no time to listen to yet, but another heads up for those who have any doubts about ordering from there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11 April 2016 at 9:02 PM, king ubu said:

Same here, received today within about a week from when I ordered - no time to listen to yet, but another heads up for those who have any doubts about ordering from there!

There's now a good William Parker Quartet CD in this series. Recorded in Brazil last summer. 

• 2 weeks later...

81kG2Bd46UL._SL1500_.jpg

Gave this a spin, all the way through on Saturday (in two seatings with a few hours of no music in between) - it's excellent!

Have now also got the two previous sets (by New Orchestra Small Formations), finally. Cost quite a bit to get the first one, but I ended up buying it from one of the guys behind NoBusiness, so the money goes into good hands :)

8 hours ago, king ubu said:

81kG2Bd46UL._SL1500_.jpg

Gave this a spin, all the way through on Saturday (in two seatings with a few hours of no music in between) - it's excellent!

Have now also got the two previous sets (by New Orchestra Small Formations), finally. Cost quite a bit to get the first one, but I ended up buying it from one of the guys behind NoBusiness, so the money goes into good hands :)

On my short list

as you know, I rate the two small formation of the Barry Guy New Orchestra box sets as the premier small group improvisations of recent years. Performances *and* Sound. It is quietly disconcerting and disappointing that so few music listeners are aware of this music, or if they are, are not interested enough to obtain these incredible documents of the some of the greatest musicians alive improvising at full power and inspiration.

I have had the pleasure of hearing a long evening of Barry Guy NO music a couple of years back, first a series of duos/combos, and then for the second set two pieces by the full band. Caught the NO in 2004 for the first time, and the Blue Shroud Band last fall - all three concerts belong to the very best live concerts I've witnessed!

Looking forward to exploring the two Mad Dogs sets soon!

I don't even try keeping up to date ... but I will catch his Blue Shroud Band again in autumn when they play in town another time. I missed a few good concerts (such as the Parker-Guy-Lytton set that's on record from NoBusiness), and I will give my best not to let this happen again, as he's always excellent?

• 2 months later...

I haven't really been keeping up with new releases this year; there hasn't been a lot of must haves for me and i've passed on quite a few that i probably would have picked up in previous years.

Some 2016 highlights for me:

Anthony Braxton - Quintet (Tristano) 2014. Great stuff. 7 discs is a lot of material but i found it very engaging throughout. Easily my standout album of the year so far. 

Audio One (Vandermark) - What Thomas Bernard Saw. Came out on on December 25th 2015 so pretty much a 2016 release. If you like this group's previous albums you'll dig this one.

Apart from that, really enjoyed Harris Eisenstadt's old growth forest. I'm a fan. Ellery Eskelin's Trio Willisau is the Trio New York with Gary Versace but with Gerry Hemingway on drums instead of Gerald Cleaver. Again, i'm a fan of Eskelin's albums with Versace so this is another treat. Picked up the new Nova Express album, Andras. It's part of Zorn's Book of Angels series and is quite good. Only minor quibble is an apparent mastering error on one track (Kakabel) which adds a lot of irritating distortion. Not what i'd expect from Tzadik but i guess they're only human. If, like me, you're a fan of the previous Nova Express albums you'll want to get this too. I'm a pretty big Threadgill fan but haven't given the new one a huge number of spins. Having said that, not every album is designed for heavy rotation. The new Claudia Quintet album... i've enjoyed it but wasn't too knocked out by it.

2 hours ago, xybert said:

I haven't really been keeping up with new releases this year; there hasn't been a lot of must haves for me and i've passed on quite a few that i probably would have picked up in previous years.

Some 2016 highlights for me:

Anthony Braxton - Quintet (Tristano) 2014. Great stuff. 7 discs is a lot of material but i found it very engaging throughout. Easily my standout album of the year so far. 

Audio One (Vandermark) - What Thomas Bernard Saw. Came out on on December 25th 2015 so pretty much a 2016 release. If you like this group's previous albums you'll dig this one.

Apart from that, really enjoyed Harris Eisenstadt's old growth forest. I'm a fan. Ellery Eskelin's Trio Willisau is the Trio New York with Gary Versace but with Gerry Hemingway on drums instead of Gerald Cleaver. Again, i'm a fan of Eskelin's albums with Versace so this is another treat. Picked up the new Nova Express album, Andras. It's part of Zorn's Book of Angels series and is quite good. Only minor quibble is an apparent mastering error on one track (Kakabel) which adds a lot of irritating distortion. Not what i'd expect from Tzadik but i guess they're only human. If, like me, you're a fan of the previous Nova Express albums you'll want to get this too. I'm a pretty big Threadgill fan but haven't given the new one a huge number of spins. Having said that, not every album is designed for heavy rotation. The new Claudia Quintet album... i've enjoyed it but wasn't too knocked out by it.

Good choices.

Steve, do get that Barry Guy box!

Just got the latest one from Ayler and enjoyed the first (and so far only) spin:

Joëlle Léandre - Can You Hear Me? (2015 re-creation)

Can You Hear Me? (2015 re-creation) - CD cover art

order aylCD-146 - €13

personnel:

Jean-Luc Cappozzo, trumpet
Alexandra Grimal, saxophones
Jean-Brice Godet, clarinets
Christiane Bopp, trombone
Guillaume Aknine, electric guitar
Théo Ceccaldi, violin
Séverine Morfin, viola
Valentin Ceccaldi, cello
Joëlle Léandre, double-bass
Florian Satche, drums, percussion

cd tracks:

1-9. Can You Hear Me?
Excerpt #1 | Excerpt #2
Excerpt #3 | Excerpt #4 | Excerpt #5
Total time: 48'09

release information:

Recorded in concert on January 29th, 2015
at L'Arsenal, Metz, France.
Cover photo by Colette Gigos.

1 CD Digipack.

aylCD-146

This hybrid piece, where for the first time the musician has agreed to play the problematic role and function of ‘composer’, can be read both as a form of achievement and as a founding act.

Indeed, ‘composing’, as she makes it clear here, with the structure constantly generating and encouraging individual expression, is nothing else for her than a transposition to ‘another stage’ of the improviser’s gesture and a transfusion into a band’s plural entity of the complex spread of a thought both intimate and collective, made even more unique by its will to be shared. […] Because she constantly feeds all her experience as an improviser into her writing, Léandre has clearly created, with "Can You Hear Me?", a major milestone in her already illustrious career.
( from Stéphane Ollivier’s liner notes )

• 5 weeks later...

Eri Yamamoto has a new album out on Aum Fidelity:

http://www.aumfidelity.com/aum099.html

I'm quite a big fan of her trio which has been recording and playing together for quite some time. Relaxed but warm and with a lot of flavour (as opposed to relaxed but cold and flavourless). I've been checking the Aum site for ages hoping to see a new release from her and i'd almost given up. News of this release made my day.

New Taylor Ho Bynum and Mary Halvorson albums are coming out. The preview tracks for each album on Bandcamp sound nice as f@&!! Can't find personnel for the Halvorson but that sounds like Steve Lehman taking a solo. Will be intersting to find out whether that's him (edit: it's not).

http://firehouse12records.com

Edited by xybert

12 hours ago, xybert said:

New Taylor Ho Bynum and Mary Halvorson albums are coming out. The preview tracks for each album on Bandcamp sound nice as f@&!! Can't find personnel for the Halvorson but that sounds like Steve Lehman taking a solo. Will be intersting to find out whether that's him (edit: it's not).

http://firehouse12records.com

These guys are so consistently inventive. These ought to be good, I'll be listening for sure.

Dragonfly Breath III from 11/24/15 Live at The Stone out on not two records. 40:51 which was the whole show. A few of us were there. Shocked and stoked to see this on CD. Still amazed this show on that night happened. Right, Clifford?

also DKV/Thing hybrid out on not two - no brainer to get this and see how it works 

On September 24, 2016 at 4:39 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Dragonfly Breath III from 11/24/15 Live at The Stone out on not two records. 40:51 which was the whole show. A few of us were there. Shocked and stoked to see this on CD. Still amazed this show on that night happened. Right, Clifford?

also DKV/Thing hybrid out on not two - no brainer to get this and see how it works 

Yeah, those look very tasty.  There's also a Barry Guy 4 CD box coming out  on Not Two that looks very interesting