Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

It is hard to keep up. I've unintentionally settled on having a selection of artists that i follow, and even then i cherry pick which of their releases are essential to me. And that leads me to the problem of: am i genuinely open to recommendations outside of the artists that i'm already following and/or are already in the sphere of artists that i'm following? Yes and no i guess but definitely not as much as i should be these days.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

One reason I don't post in this thread too often is that there's just so much music to take in and, at least in the contemporary avant-garde realm, a lot of it features the same players over and over in slightly different combinations. It's hard to get very excited about that stuff. I also tend to enjoy it more live.

To me the most consistent labels right now are Nessa and Emanem, and I've enjoyed the variety on NoBusiness as well. Improvising Beings is quite interesting even if not all of their releases are my cup of tea (ugEXPLODE used to be like this too -- always worth checking out even if extremely left-field). Maybe Clean Feed and Intakt have sharpened their games but I got pretty bored with their catalogs years ago -- too many releases that basically sounded the same. NotTwo is pretty reliable indeed -- that Joelle box is great.

Part of the problem is the new business structure where musicians make recordings to sell at performance sites. Side persons get paid in a few discs to sell at their gigs and they expect and get the same in return. Every time a musician hits a club or town they need something new to sell to the fans. The churn can become numbing to both the artist and audience.

Yes, entirely fair and true. Somehow "check out my Soundcloud" probably doesn't work at gigs.

17 hours ago, xybert said:

It is hard to keep up. I've unintentionally settled on having a selection of artists that i follow, and even then i cherry pick which of their releases are essential to me. And that leads me to the problem of: am i genuinely open to recommendations outside of the artists that i'm already following and/or are already in the sphere of artists that i'm following? Yes and no i guess but definitely not as much as i should be these days.

also, it takes me a long time to warm up to a release, usually well after the point I've had to review it. One reason I couldn't really get into the year-end list thing, as there's no way I've either heard enough or understood enough to be reasonably objective in picking 10-20 essential discs by December. 

Perusing the No Business web-site I found at least 10 releases I would buy right now if I was in a buying mode. The ones that might be next for me will be the aforementioned Peter Kuhn 2 CD set featuring among others, the *great* Denis Charles, a new trio disc with Rodrigo Amado (The Attic), a new release - something called "Before the Silence" which features the very strong drummer Gabriel Ferrandini and a saxophonist I'm unfamiliar with, a new Evan Parker trio recording with John Edwards & Steve Noble, a trio recording with Darius Jones & Adam Lane, a trio with Martin Kuchen, a Quintet with Schlippenbach and more. All look like top shelf releases. 

• 2 weeks later...

282_cover_mittel.jpg

217.jpg

233_cover_gross.jpg

I've been reacquainting myself with this group with the quartet performances here before cracking the cellophane of the latest trio disc.  I really like Lake's playing and this group is excellent. The trio work so well together and to my ears at least it always seems fresh even if older tunes are revisited. They have a decent number of recordings of which these are all I know . Any other standouts or recent Lake recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share news of this here...this is a new one of mine: Alexander Hawkins Unit[e]

It's a double album: CD1 featuring my sextet, and CD2 the first release of my large ensemble music.

The physical release date isn't actually until July 7th; but for digital listeners, it's now available...would love for you to check it out! 

Personnel listed over at the Bandcamp link...

Please enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 11:20 PM, Edlock8718 said:

Kaja Draksler's 2-CD "Gledalec"

Is the Kaja Draksler release available for lossless download somewhere yet?

can't seem to find a familiar website selling them except flacit/flac2 (never heard of it before) with a ridiculous price of $3 for a double cd... isn't that suspicious?

oh, right. now I found it on Qobuz filed under Various Artists with Bjork Nielsdottir (the first to be listed alphabetically), no mention of Kaja Draksler on the page. "It's fast women, slow horses, I'm reliable sources"... (c)

Edited by jazzulov

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of Mr Hawkins I'm enjoying this very new release

Roberto Ottaviano Quarktet------Sideralis-------(Dodicilune)

stellar quartet of Michael Formanek, Gerry Hemingway, RO and Alexander H. Many highlights , I particulary like Planet Nichols which is the most convincing track I've to hear influenced by Herbie. My first listen to was without, knowledge of its title. Sounds Monk like , I thought. Then quickly the lower register runs reminded me of Eddie Costa but it's quirky catchy theme is unmistakably of Herbie.  I will need to check but I think it's Such sweet thunder that informs the opening of Ellingtonia .....a great CD none the less.

3 hours ago, Clunky said:

Courtesy of Mr Hawkins I'm enjoying this very new release

Roberto Ottaviano Quarktet------Sideralis-------(Dodicilune)

stellar quartet of Michael Formanek, Gerry Hemingway, RO and Alexander H. Many highlights , I particulary like Planet Nichols which is the most convincing track I've to hear influenced by Herbie. My first listen to was without, knowledge of its title. Sounds Monk like , I thought. Then quickly the lower register runs reminded me of Eddie Costa but it's quirky catchy theme is unmistakably of Herbie.  I will need to check but I think it's Such sweet thunder that informs the opening of Ellingtonia .....a great CD none the less.

Ok , it's not SST, perhaps the pianist will tell us and put me out of my duccal misery.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:29 AM, Clunky said:

282_cover_mittel.jpg

217.jpg

233_cover_gross.jpg

I've been reacquainting myself with this group with the quartet performances here before cracking the cellophane of the latest trio disc.  I really like Lake's playing and this group is excellent. The trio work so well together and to my ears at least it always seems fresh even if older tunes are revisited. They have a decent number of recordings of which these are all I know . Any other standouts or recent Lake recommendations?

Image result for trio 3 geri allenImage result for trio 3 geri allen

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

where did you find it? out of stock at Amazon. don't see it anywhere else.

I couldn't find it either

4 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Been binging on these cats since I saw this thread this morning! 

The date with Iyer is out of this world! 

Anyone interested in Oliver Lake might check out his string quartet music on "Right Up On" {Passin' Thru}. Fine and challenging stuff

Edited by mjazzg

On 12/19/2017 at 8:16 AM, jlhoots said:

where did you find it? out of stock at Amazon. don't see it anywhere else.

This is my experience as well. I will say they usually restock regularly so watch out. Asian Improv is an essential label. I just purchased Francis Wong - Miyoshi Sketches which is excellent

• 4 weeks later...

A trio of new Intakt releases arrived today , Tom Rainey Obbligato Float Upstream, Alexander Hawkins_Elaine Mitchener Uproot, Borderlands Trio Asteroidea. 

Float Upstream presents standards ( all by one track) . Pretty interesting take on some very well worn tunes such as What's new or Stella by Starlight. Impresseda1261076068_10.jpg

Edited by Clunky