• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Workshop de Lyon 50e anniversaire

recent arrival is this 6CD set of the French collective. A number of years ago WdL were on BBCR3 performing an amazing piece dedicated to Edith Piaf. I have a recording on MD somewhere. No idea if that piece  ever received commercial release but it piqued my interest in this group which seems to have been around a long time yet had next to no media exposure. This set is packaged in the same manner as the Soul Note/ Black Saint sets. There is a small booklet with a short essay and reproduction of the front and rear of all of the original releases. All in French. 

Edited by Clunky

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Clunky said:

A trio of new Intakt releases arrived today , Tom Rainey Obbligato Float Upstream, Alexander Hawkins_Elaine Mitchener Uproot, Borderlands Trio Asteroidea. 

Float Upstream presents standards ( all by one track) . Pretty interesting take on some very well worn tunes such as What's new or Stella by Starlight. Impressed

all three mighty good, methinks ... bought "Float Upstream" at a Tim Berne gig recently (trio w/Ducret and Rainey) and was a bit hesitant, as the previous Intakt disc by the same band didn't really do it for me ... but this new one is strong!

And "Asteroida" is outstanding, I think!

So is, btw, another recent piano trio on Intakt: Stephan Crump's Bordlines Trio (with Kris Davis and Eric McPherson)

"Uproot" probably isn't for everyone, and it took me a couple of spins to "get", but I consider it excellent as well (and had the pleasure of catching the quartet on stage a couple of weeks ago at the artacts festival in St. Johann, Austria).

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

Asteroidea and A Quietness Of Water are my two favorite albums from 2017. 

I've not heard of the latter , sounds like it should be right up my alley. Rempis Aerophonics often sound enticing but are pretty hard to come by here at a sane price.

• 6 months later...
On 4/3/2018 at 10:00 AM, Scott Dolan said:

Asteroidea and A Quietness Of Water are my two favorite albums from 2017. 

First listen to the latter. Really astounding as you noted and as I expected.

I’m not normally a big listener to drummerless small groups but I see myself listening to this often. The combination of Gustafsson & Evans is especially fruitful.

I’m hoping to see Peter Evans in a new quartet on 10/30 if I can switch my schedule up.

3 hours ago, king ubu said:

81y%2BeyUEUeL._SL500_.jpg

First spin over the weekend, enjoyed it a lot ... they also have a new Don Byron/Aruan Ortiz duo album out, gotta get it as well!

"they" being Intakt, the logo is barely visible (top right corner, in white)

I'm going to get both of those too. Intakt also has 2 or 3 other upcoming releases that look very good.

Edited by jlhoots

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

81y%2BeyUEUeL._SL500_.jpg

First spin over the weekend, enjoyed it a lot ... they also have a new Don Byron/Aruan Ortiz duo album out, gotta get it as well!

"they" being Intakt, the logo is barely visible (top right corner, in white)

Trying to get to the show @ Jazz Gallery on Sunday 10/28

the recently release from Vandermark, Wooley etc looks great as well

plus the new Fred Frith Trio & a duo recording with Gunter “Baby” Sommer

Edited by Steve Reynolds

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

the new Fred Frith Trio

It's great. If you enjoyed the previous trio album on Intakt you'll do the same with this one

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

a duo recording with Gunter “Baby” Sommer

always interested in a new Sommer recording. One day I'll see him live, I hope

New Barre Phillips solo is a good one. More mellow and melodious than his previous (8!) solo records. 

Baby Sommer is great, one of my favorite drummers. One of my favorite musicians, actually. I've been listening to his solo "Dedications" (on Intakt) a lot lately.

Regarding Formanek quartet with Malaby, I will check it out on Spotify. Wanted to catch up with what Malaby is up to. I remember he had a very strong trio disc way back when, 15 years ago or something. And then everything I've heard by him afterwards was not that interesting, so I stopped following. But I am not a fan of Ches Smith and Kris Davis either, so my expectations for Formanek disc are not that high. 

22 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Regarding Formanek quartet with Malaby, I will check it out on Spotify. Wanted to catch up with what Malaby is up to. I remember he had a very strong trio disc way back when, 15 years ago or something. And then everything I've heard by him afterwards was not that interesting, so I stopped following. But I am not a fan of Ches Smith and Kris Davis either, so my expectations for Formanek disc are not that high. 

Too bad they didn’t record Monder, Malaby & Waits on Saturday October 6th

Tony is playing better than ever and in a much more exciting and challenging way than 15 to 20 years ago. Nasheet’s intensity and power as overwhelming as ever. 

Great first set. Second set was otherworldly.

Fan of Kris Davis, but not of Ches Smith here ... but I think the new Formanek is pretty strong, nonetheless.

Regarding Günter Baby Sommer, lotsa love for him, but that duo with German tv beau Till Brönner really strikes me as weird. Brönner is a fine trumpet player (when he was very young, Johnny Griffin gave him a gig or two), but he also sat in the jury of one of those talent casting shows and is more of a poster boy it seems, than a musician dedicated to anything. It does seem (liner notes? someone mentioned something elsewhere) that Sommer is quoted as having enjoyed the encounter very much -- well, as said, Brönner can play. Still, I'm most likely not going to get that disc.

Seems German Intakt subscribers got the Brönner/Sommer, me in Switzerland, I got the Aeby trio disc, which is, I think, the first meh disc of the subscription ... it's for people who like The Bad Plus and E.S.T. and the like, I guess, it's fine for what it is, but it's just not for me, I'm afraid.

The Vandermark I've not bought yet either, there's just too much stuff coming out all the time ....

7 hours ago, king ubu said:

Fan of Kris Davis, but not of Ches Smith here ... but I think the new Formanek is pretty strong, nonetheless.

Regarding Günter Baby Sommer, lotsa love for him, but that duo with German tv beau Till Brönner really strikes me as weird. Brönner is a fine trumpet player (when he was very young, Johnny Griffin gave him a gig or two), but he also sat in the jury of one of those talent casting shows and is more of a poster boy it seems, than a musician dedicated to anything. It does seem (liner notes? someone mentioned something elsewhere) that Sommer is quoted as having enjoyed the encounter very much -- well, as said, Brönner can play. Still, I'm most likely not going to get that disc.

Seems German Intakt subscribers got the Brönner/Sommer, me in Switzerland, I got the Aeby trio disc, which is, I think, the first meh disc of the subscription ... it's for people who like The Bad Plus and E.S.T. and the like, I guess, it's fine for what it is, but it's just not for me, I'm afraid.

The Vandermark I've not bought yet either, there's just too much stuff coming out all the time ....

I’m have VERY mixed thoughts about whether to get the Vandermark, Wooley, Courvoisier & Rainey CD. It’s expensive here in the States and as the King states there is so much stuff coming out. For starters I recently picked up a stack of Not Two releases as they shipped them all at one shipping cost. I’m almost done with my first or second or even third pass through these newly released & received discs (save for the slightly less recent released Game Theory (Survival Unit III which is McPhee, Lonberg-Holm & Zerang), Kyle Bruckman’s Degradient (2 CD set of some far different kinda stuff) & DKV trio’s Latitude).

just based on my first listen (I mentioned the incredible Journey to Parazzar elsewhere) the following all appear to be extraordinary:

Clifford Thornton Memorial Quartet - Sweet Oranges - Quartet with McPhee, Lazro, crazy synth player & Makoto Soto on drums

Cene Resnick Watch for Dogs Trio - Shades for Colours - yes from 2017 but pretty much wow

most impressive might be the 3 CD set from Per-Ake Holmlander / Carliot with 2 discs of small formations & the 3rd with a large band - WOW

plus the great 5 CD Zlatko Kaucic box - the 2 CD’s with Evan Parker are great (one is a trio with Agusti Fernandez) but there is a quartet session with Lotte Anker on soprano & tenor saxophones,  Artur Majewski on trumpet (!!!) & Rafal Mazur on acoustic bass guitar that is quite incredible.

this doesn’t even include a few of the great things I havn’t yet purchased like the 8 CD Joelle Leandre box or a very recent trio set with Agusti Fernandez and a less recent trio set with the great pianist. Plus there is more from them and also take a look at the great releases from No Business.....