colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Ingrid Laubrock———Two works for orchestra with soloists——(Intakt)

this has sat unopened for several weeks as I’ve been listening to a bunch of Kirk Knuffke discs in rotation. This however was well worth the wait. It’s a pretty outstanding piece of playing and orchestration. I find Intakt to produce discs consistently high standard . 

I listened to it once on Spotify and was very impressed only to promptly forget about it (without the prompt of a physical item) until your reminder.

I shall give it another spin.

I agree about Intakt although the prices seem to have crept up. Paying a little extra for quality is an admirable approach which I don't always afford myself, I realise.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I listened to it once on Spotify and was very impressed only to promptly forget about it (without the prompt of a physical item) until your reminder.

I shall give it another spin.

I agree about Intakt although the prices seem to have crept up. Paying a little extra for quality is an admirable approach which I don't always afford myself, I realise.

I try to make notes on my iPad because I experienced the same problem. I don’t always, but it does help. Never imagined how the lack of a physical product would be so problematic. I wish Apple Music would allow you to save a list of all the albums you’ve listened to.

Regarding recent Intakt releases, I'm not looking forward that much to explore the two latest subscription discs I'm afraid (Yves Theiler Trio and Aki Takase sol), but I bought this one by Fred Frith with a variety of collaborators, reviews were most favourable, looking forward to checking it out:

R-13332283-1552237698-8808.jpeg.jpg

http://www.intaktrec.ch/320-a.htm

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

Regarding recent Intakt releases, I'm not looking forward that much to explore the two latest subscription discs I'm afraid (Yves Theiler Trio and Aki Takase sol), but I bought this one by Fred Frith with a variety of collaborators, reviews were most favourable, looking forward to checking it out:

R-13332283-1552237698-8808.jpeg.jpg

http://www.intaktrec.ch/320-a.htm

My guess is I’ll buy that from Fred when he visits NYC in September - fired up to see the trio with Jason Hoopes & Jordan Glenn. I’ll pick up the latest CD of the trio which is also on Intakt at that time as well:)

The show I’ll be attending is the 9/26 show (@ The Stone) with Lotte Anker joining the trio. 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I saw an excellent Frith\Anker duet set at Oto a couple of years back.

Those trio albums on Intakt are great

I have the first one and I love it. My one time concert experience with Fred Frith was incredible. First set trio with Mary Halvorson & Ches Smith. Second set Ikue Mori in place of Mary. I was in the front row at the old Stone. Heavy metal, electronics, improvisational genius from Frith with all his stuff and a Gibson - and Ches rocked out like mad. 

13 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I saw an excellent Frith\Anker duet set at Oto a couple of years back.

Those trio albums on Intakt are great

I'm totally new to FF. His discography seems to be pretty vast. Which Intakt releases were you referring to, and would these be a reasonable place to start?

thanks...

5 hours ago, Clunky said:

I'm totally new to FF. His discography seems to be pretty vast. Which Intakt releases were you referring to, and would these be a reasonable place to start?

thanks...

I'm new to him too (I normally veer away from improv guitarists - a personal prejudice I may overcome one day) but there are two relatively recent Intakts with the same trio that really worked for me - 'Another Day In Fucking Paradise' and its follow up 'Closer To The Ground'.

Others I have enjoyed are duo discs with Barry Guy and Lotte Anker, both also on Intakt. 

I'm sure others will have lots more knowledge and recommendations though

5 hours ago, king ubu said:

I saw Frith in the living room of a friend, about two years ago, in duo with Hans Koch - that was amazing! Had to buy their Intakt disc after that but still haven't listened to it thoroughly ...

I like the album.  I bought it after a Koch trio gig a few years ago.  When I asked how much the album was, he replied, "Are you a rich man?"  My hearty laugh resulted in the suggested price of $10, but I paid $15. :blink:  

No Business just announced new cd and lp issues.   Some are historical.

CDs:

- DETAIL – Frode Gjerstad / Johnny Mbizo Dyani / John Stevens – DAY TWO - NBCD 114 - http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/detail-frode-gjerstad-johnny-mbizo-dyani-john-stevens.html

- Midori Takada / Kang Tae Hwan –AN ETERNAL MOMENT– NBCD 115 - http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/midori-takada-kang-tae-hwan.html   

Sunny Murray / Bob Dickey / Robert Andreano - HOMEWORK- NBCD 116 - http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/homework-sunny-murray.html

- Rodrigo Amado / Goncalo Almeida / Onno Govaert –SUMMER BUMMER- NBCD 117 - http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/summer-bummer.html

Sam Rivers / Cecil McBee / Norman Connors –EMANATION. Sam Rivers archive sessions. Vol.1- NBCD 118 - http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/emanation-sam-rivers.html

LPs: 

- Whit Dickey / Kirk Knuffke –DRONE DREAMNBLP 122. 300 LP copies limited edition  -  http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/drone-dream-knuffke.html

- Jan Maksimowicz / Dmitrij Golovanov –THOUSAND SECONDS OF OUR LIFE- NBLP 123. 500 LP copies limited edition - http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/thousand-second-of-our-life.html

- Sunny Murray / Bob Dickey / Robert Andreano - HOMEWORK- NBLP 124. 300 LP copies limited edition - http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/homework-lp-sunny-murray.html

Midori Takada / Kang Tae Hwan –AN ETERNAL MOMENT NBLP 125. 300 LP copies limited edition  -  http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/an-eternal-moment-lp-chap-chap.html

- Albert Beger Quartet –THE GATE- NBLP 126 - http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/the-gate-albert-beger.html

• 1 month later...

2 very strong-looking titles from Otoroku:

Cafe OTO

Untitled-3.134547.jpg

Hi there

We're very pleased to announce two new CDs on our own in-house OTOROKU imprint.

First up is Tree Dancing, by the incredible quartet of Lol Coxhill, Joe McPhee, Chris Corsano and Evan Parker. This recording from the earlier years of Cafe OTO documents the impossible pairing of four contemporary giants. It's one of those miraculous one-off groupings that reminds us why the venue opened in the first place.

Alongside this is Seasons Changing, a 2CD set documenting two very special sets at OTO in November 2017 from the trio of Charles Gayle, John Edwards and Mark Sanders. In classic ecstatic fashion one would expect from these three stalwarts of blazing transcendence these two sets swerve from the sublime to the this is an exquisite document of one of the most exciting trios operating today,

Both releases are now available to order via the Cafe OTO website, as well as a special bundle deal for both releases. Orders will be shipped early next week. Full details and links below.

All the best,
Cafe OTO

ROKU021 Lol Coxhill / Joe McPhee / Chris Corsano / Evan Parker - Tree Dancing CD

ROKU021cover.135208.jpg  

CD – £10 (£8 members)

“The magic of the first minutes – an alto solo by Joe McPhee of true purity – soft-spoken, masterful and accomplished – brought back to mind the blissful Coleman/Haden duet last year at the Royal Festival Hall. ‘Ornette gave me freedom to move in a certain way,’ said McPhee. He searched hesitantly and carefully for his words, all the more surprising from such an articulate musical (or, as he might say ‘muse-ical’) practitioner and campaigner. Coleman’s 80th birthday coincided with McPhee’s stint at Cafe Oto.

McPhee and his co-musicians delivered an intense performance which was both creative and restrained. With Evan Parker ‘s tenor in tow – a collaboration going back to the late 70s – and Lol Coxhill, sitting with head bowed intently, a soprano master – it could have gone anywhere, yet they worked off each other, often in the higher registers, building up almost bird-call like interactions and trills. Earlier, Chris Corsano‘s drumming presented a dense bedrock for McPhee to play against, and his solo spell was a crisp exercise in sonic curiosity.

McPhee picked up his soprano mid-way through the second set, heightening the lyricism of the three saxophones. Then, being a devotee of Don Cherry, he switched to pocket trumpet, allowing him to interject, and punctuate the concentrated sound layers built up by the quartet, and lead the music out through a different door” - Geoff Winston (londonjazznews.com)

Recorded 10th March 20010, this is also a document of the only time Lol Coxhill and Joe Mcphee shared the stage. The recording is a little rough, but hey. so was your birth. Limited to 500 copies.

ROKU020 Charles Gayle /John Edwards / Mark Sanders - Seasons Changing 2CD

ROKU020cover.135409.jpg  

2CD – £15 / £12 members

Charles Gayle is a saxophonist, pianist, sometimes a clown and radical musical performer wrapped into the body of a humble person living in Downtown Manhattan since the 1960s. As this set attests to, It is sometimes hard to predict what he will do on stage... In all his musical (and personal) life Charles Gayle has remained outside of any form of mainstream, carving his own singular path. There is no player on the scene today with the emotional wallop of Charles Gayle.

John Edwards is a true virtuoso whose staggering range of techniques and boundless musical imagination have redefined the possibility of the double bass and dramatically expanded its role, whether playing solo or with others. Perpetually in demand, he has played with  Sunny Murray, Derek Bailey, Joe McPhee, Peter Brötzmann, Mulatu Astatke and many others.

Ubiquitous, diverse and constantly creative, drummer Mark Sanders has worked with a host of renowned musicians including Derek Bailey, Henry Grimes, Mathew Shipp, Roswell Rudd, in duo and quartets with Wadada Leo Smith and trios with Sirone and William Parker.

Here we present a 2CD set documenting the two very special sets delivered on the 15th of November, 2017 at Cafe Oto, Dalston, London.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2015 at 11:29 PM, niels said:

Just ordered the new 4CDBox set from Agusti Fernández yesterday on bandcamp, which I think is very interesting and deserves some attention (as I don't see it being widely available). In 2014 Agusti Fernández was invited to the Ad Libitum Festival in Warsaw to play four concerts. Each concert sees Agusti in a (very) different setting, so I think this box set gives a very good impression of the wide capacities of the great pianist.

https://sluchaj.bandcamp.com/

a3702818561_10.jpg

CD01: River, Tiger, Fire
Agustí Fernández - piano, conductor 
Wacław Zimpel - alto clarinet, ukrainian trombita, khaen (laotian bamboo mouth organ) 
Ray Dickaty - soprano & tenor saxophone 
Gerard Lebik - tenor saxophone 
Artur Majewski - trumpet 
Dominik Strycharski - soprano, alto & bass recorders / blockflutes 
Patryk Zakrocki - violin 
Marcin Olak - electric, acoustic guitats 
Rafał Mazur - acoustic bass guitar 
Ksawery Wójciński - double bass 
Hubert Zemler - drums

CD02: Thunder
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Frances Marie Uitti - cello 
Joel Ryan - live electronics 

CD03: Mnemosyne's Labyrinth
Agustí Fernández - piano

CD04: Live in Warsaw 
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Barry Guy - bass 
Ramón López - drums

Listened to the Aurora trio and the solo set on Spotify. Great stuff, and the sound quality is excellent. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

This is a good one:

61mu9psEszL._SL1440_.jpg

Looks Good. Thanks for bringing this thread up. I’m sure I’ll get this at some point.

More importantly for me is to make sure I get those live recordings on Oturoku as both of those should satisfy my interest in the more old school side of my improvisational ear.

most recently I’ll STRONGLY recommend the following recordings. Many very fine abstract recordings have been exciting me but these might be the most interesting and editing of what I’ve been listening to:

Tidal Heating - guitar, bass drums on Not Two

Michal Dymny on guitar, Rafal Mazur on acoustic bass guitar & Vasco Trilla on the drum kit

Old Smoke - sax, bass & drums on Relative Pitch. Steve Baczkowski on saxophones, Brandon Lopez on double bass & Chris Corsano on drums. Blistering.

Bind the Hand(s) That Feed - Sax, bassoon/electronics & drums/percussion

Michael Foster on saxophones, Katherine Young on bassoon & electronic effects with the *great* Michael Zerang on all things percussive. Maybe my favorite new recording I’ve heard over the past year or so.

plus all newer Dave Rempis releases but especially look for Kuzu with a guitarist & drummer that are new to me. Tasha Dorji on guitar & Tyler Damon on drums. WOW.