• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Did you write any comments in English?

great pictures😏

Don't think I did ... but that was a nice trip to Willisau, hearing both Hans Koch and then Urs Leimgruber (and Barre Phillips, never heard him before or since and don't expect to hear him again, he's a rather rare sight over here it seems).

6 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Yes, a lot of nice textures on this one. 

Sometimes the lack of a saxophone can be a plus although I’ve been very interested recently in listening to improvised music with guitars/electronics/electric bass & saxophones. I like those textures as well. Or with guitar/double bass combinations like the quartet I saw live last week with Brandon Seabrook, Brandon Lopez, Ingrid Laubrock & Tom Rainey. Wonderful 45 minutes of collective improvisation. Again the most exciting interaction/textures were the guitar/bass sounds. 

Mazur on Tidal Heating is like glue. He is as impressive a bassist (on his unique instrument) as anyone else currently on the scene. I’m sure you European locals appreciate his playing - I’m sure he sounds amazing live in a small room.

3 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Don't think I did ... but that was a nice trip to Willisau, hearing both Hans Koch and then Urs Leimgruber (and Barre Phillips, never heard him before or since and don't expect to hear him again, he's a rather rare sight over here it seems).

I missed Urs when he was here a year or two back. I did get to see Barre Phillips back in 2002 with Joe Maneri’s Ensemble and then I think in 2014 with Evan Parker, Joe McPhee & Chris Corsano.

Luckily, I had the chance to catch both Leimgruber and Koch in various settings over the years, both of them in very intimate settings, too (including small rooms without stages, just instruments set up in a corner and any number between 10 and 30 people sitting around). They're certainly two of the most extraordinary improvising musicians Switzerland has produced (and in my book at least Leimgruber certainly ranks with the best in general). Re Corsano and McPhee, just got my shipment from Oto(roku) today, including the new McPhee/Corsano/Coxhill/Parker (and the Gayle/Edwards/Sanders), but I have to confess I totally don't get Corsano - saw him live at the festival in Mulhouse and I just found him boring, non-swinging in a bad/rock manner, tough and virtuosic, but lacking any kind of feeling I like, way too controlled somehow.

5 hours ago, king ubu said:

Luckily, I had the chance to catch both Leimgruber and Koch in various settings over the years, both of them in very intimate settings, too (including small rooms without stages, just instruments set up in a corner and any number between 10 and 30 people sitting around). They're certainly two of the most extraordinary improvising musicians Switzerland has produced (and in my book at least Leimgruber certainly ranks with the best in general). Re Corsano and McPhee, just got my shipment from Oto(roku) today, including the new McPhee/Corsano/Coxhill/Parker (and the Gayle/Edwards/Sanders), but I have to confess I totally don't get Corsano - saw him live at the festival in Mulhouse and I just found him boring, non-swinging in a bad/rock manner, tough and virtuosic, but lacking any kind of feeling I like, way too controlled somehow.

Corsano has been hit or miss for me as well - but try “Old Smoke” - Trio with Brandon Lopez & Steve Basckowski - very New on Relative Pitch - or any of those older duos with Paul Flaherty. The Beloved Music if you can find it. Very unique drummer and vitally grooving in a very non rock way on the above new trio recording.

I just ordered the 2 new Cafe Oto releases today. I’m interested to hear Gayle with Edwards & Sanders. I’ve not listened to much from Charles in recent years. 

In the middle of the first set from Gayle, Edwards & Sanders

recorded 11/15/2017

vintage Charles Gayle at 78 years old!!!

All saxophone so far. Full bore and Edwards & Sanders are driving the legendary Gayle like only those 2 can. I’m sure we’ll get plenty of piano from Charles but it’s heartening that was inspired to pick up his alto and/or tenor right from the get go.

Last time I saw him he was frail and didn’t pick up the tenor until the set was almost over and this was in 2012. Here as with the best Gayle he starts outside and ventures farther. As always only for those ready for the fire.

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Marker CDs - all of them

Especially the last one - New Industries. Double CD with the same compositions in different order/configuration for the live concert as compared to the studio session.

I realize KV releases so much stuff and it’s overwhelming. I also know he’s improved his saxophone playing to a point that his strengths now greatly supersede his weaknesses. This band with 2 great young guitarists, an amazing violinist/keyboard playing woman named Macie Stewart and rocked out yet swinging drumming from Phil Sudderberg is Vandermark’s most exciting small compositionally based band he’s ever put together. CD’s still available despite it only being a 500 unit run.

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Clunky said:

It’s been sitting unopened for the right moment for some months but at last I’ve opened and now listening to the rather incredible 

Roscoe Mitchell Orchestra———Littlefield Concert Hall , Mills College——( Widehive)

I listened to it twice, I thought it was pretty boring and the compositions sounded like something a conservatory student would write for a grade.

I doggedly attend concerts of young composers here in Vienna. 90% of the time the music would be labored crap, which sounds very much like this. But 10% of the time there would be something excellent, sounding MUCH better than this. 

16 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Oh man, I still did not go through the whole (excellent) Tensegrity box - and there is this one already...  

I’ve spent a lot of listening time with Tensegrity. As much time as any other new music since it’s release a couple of years back. It’s a bit overwhelming as although it is “only” 4 CD’s, each is of ‘old school’ CD length - I think often over 70 minutes - and the music is often dense, intense and demands one’s full attention. But what I did is that I kept listening to 20 or 30 minute pieces/segments. Then I became fascinated with some of the individual musicians like Ben Dwyer on ‘classical’ guitar. By the second box, Dwyer was now playing as a fearless improvisor with duet or small groupings. Like a modern day Derek Bailey only from a different world.

The new 5 CD box, Intensegrity is maybe even more daunting as the 5th disc is a long full ensemble Guy composed and improvised suite. I’ve deliberately not yet listened as I’ve been busy going through the other 4 discs multiple times. I’ve probably listened to each disc 3 times but I’m kind of obsessed with disc 4 - which is where Lucas Niggli first appears and as great as Ramon Lopez is, Lucas elevates some is these small formation improvisations to places I’ve yet to encounter in music. That being said, there is music within these discs (as with Tensegrity) that also break into realms that open new places in my mind. 

I love both of the Mad Dogs boxes with the members of the New Orchestra but the Blue Shroud Band is truly a ‘New’ Orchestra. Adding these younger and thoroughly unknown to free jazz or jazz listeners, people like Ben Dwyer, Fanny Paucoud, Julius Gabriel, Torben Snekkstad, Michael Nieseman & the insanely amazing vocalist Savina Yannatou turns this music into something completely new and unique. 

Plus having the *great* Michel Godard on tuba & serpent often raises the excitement level to the stratosphere. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I admire your dedication and you're reaping the rewards.

I've nearly bought both boxes a number of times but I find music presented in such amounts increasingly intimidating.  They just don't seem to fit my listening habits any more. Give me a two CD set and I'm happy.

The recent DKV is a case in point, great music but just too much of a good thing in one package for me. At least the Guy releases present a variety of line-ups.

I guess you know the Dwyer's 'Umbilical', fine album.

Agree wholeheartedly about Godard.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I admire your dedication and you're reaping the rewards.

I've nearly bought both boxes a number of times but I find music presented in such amounts increasingly intimidating.  They just don't seem to fit my listening habits any more. Give me a two CD set and I'm happy.

The recent DKV is a case in point, great music but just too much of a good thing in one package for me. At least the Guy releases present a variety of line-ups.

I guess you know the Dwyer's 'Umbilical', fine album.

Agree wholeheartedly about Godard.

Funny you should say that, because I was just planning a post to the opposite effect. Cost aside, I am very into box sets at the moment. Really like getting my teeth into both new and familiar material. 

4 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I love both of the Mad Dogs boxes with the members of the New Orchestra but the Blue Shroud Band is truly a ‘New’ Orchestra. Adding these younger and thoroughly unknown to free jazz or jazz listeners, people like Ben Dwyer, Fanny Paucoud, Julius Gabriel, Torben Snekkstad, Michael Nieseman & the insanely amazing vocalist Savina Yannatou turns this music into something completely new and unique. 

Yes, all these young guys (and gals) are excellent. And no, Dwyer (thankfully) does not sound like Derek Bailey at all :) .  

On 8/21/2019 at 2:27 PM, Д.Д. said:

Yes, all these young guys (and gals) are excellent. And no, Dwyer (thankfully) does not sound like Derek Bailey at all :) .  

But he is an original like Bailey was:)

8 hours ago, David Ayers said:

61DjiPhtqBL._SL1194_.jpg

S'guud

Look for Proton Pump with Sakata. With Corsano ripping it up plus Satoh on piano.

Amazing recording