Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

25 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Not Ellery Eskelin?

Btw, I remember chatting to Eskelin many years ago and he was very complimentary of Malaby. 

And does Jonathan Moritz still perform in New York? 

Eskelin’s playing has become very conservative. As far as who thinks what Tony said one night after a long 2 sets of skronky oblique intense abstract improvised music - that “nobody seems to get what I’m doing” or something to that effect. 

plus a few people I see often at shows are not fans of his playing for whatever reason. Too rough, extreme or whatever / not sure? Malaby is NOT an easy listen for sure and he rarely takes the easy way out and never plays for cheap thrills.

37 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Not Ellery Eskelin?

Btw, I remember chatting to Eskelin many years ago and he was very complimentary of Malaby. 

And does Jonathan Moritz still perform in New York? 

Btw - as far as Ellery they still play together / they sat/played together both on tenor last year with Satako Fujii’s large ensemble and sat talking at least a half hour after the show:)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Eskelin’s playing has become very conservative.

By conservative you mean he does not do altissimo screaming that much? The stuff that tenor players have been doing for 50+ years? I'm listening to the 2019 eskelin / weber / griener release on Intakt, "the pearls". Half of the pieces are pre-war tunes, another half - free improvisations. Eskelin’s playing is just great. The sound, the logic, the ideas.... Perfect. Here's actually a modern tenor trio that is not retro - despite playing Jelly Roll Morton. 

Edited by Д.Д.

2 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

To comment on another thing you mentioned - "extended techniques". They are not a sign of "progress" or "innovation", and definitely not a sign of good music. I actually just returned from a classical concert where all the extended techniques imaginable were used (this stuff can now be notated, and is firmly incorporated in the vocabulary of modern composers and performers). The music was still shit.              

Off-topic, but I agree on this. I have unpleasant memories of hearing (live and recordings) a bunch of "New Complexity School" classical works that were exquisitely notated showcases for "extended techniques"  but came across as arid drudgery and tedium.

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

By conservative you mean he does not do altissimo screaming that much? The stuff that tenor players have been doing for 50+ years? I'm listening to the 2019 eskelin / weber / griener release on Intakt, "the pearls". Half of the pieces are pre-war tunes, another half - free improvisations. Eskelin’s playing is just great. The sound, the logic, the ideas.... Perfect. Here's actually a modern tenor trio that is not retro - despite playing Jelly Roll Morton. 

I saw his NYC trio a few years back and it was mortifying. Grueling, slow and beyond retro. The best stuff he played was Monk and when he played medium and/or faster tempos which for all 3 times was regrettably maybe 20% of the sets.

fwiw my comments on Amado is that he is original, creative and original WITHOUT using extended techniques. However many of the current great improvisors do use these methods organically within their playing. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 12/12/2019 at 5:23 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Best Mat Maneri recordings to my ears are [...] “Light Trigger” which is a duo with Peterson. The latter is the closest I’ve heard to his “sound” in a live setting.

Got this one and gave it a listen - great stuff. 

I might actually go see Maneri with Leandre and Cleaver in a week. 

16 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Got this one and gave it a listen - great stuff. 

I might actually go see Maneri with Leandre and Cleaver in a week. 

I wouldn’t miss it. Maneri is playing as well as he ever has these days. The trio with Ches Smith & Craig Taborn (with Bill Frisell as guest) were very very good last week. New music and much different than previous shows. 

11 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I wouldn’t miss it. Maneri is playing as well as he ever has these days. The trio with Ches Smith & Craig Taborn (with Bill Frisell as guest) were very very good last week. New music and much different than previous shows. 

I'll go. I am not concerned about Maneri as much as about Leandre's clownish tendencies that sometimes tend to overwhelm her performances. I saw here live a few times, always a bit of a disappointment.    

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Having seen Leandre several times I'm not sure I've ever witnessed anything 'clownish' other than her tendency not to approach improvisation in a po-faced, overly precious manner. 

I’ve only seen her once - with that great large band back maybe 9-10 years ago when they played @ Columbia University on a double bill with Globe Unity Orchestra. As far as her recordings I’ve never heard even one that disappointed me and if it’s her vocalizing and humor, I’m all in. I think she’s one of the greatest ever on her instrument and I’m more fascinated with her pure improvising energy than I’ve ever been.

To me the trio with Maneri & Cleaver is a dream group. They played at Vision Fest a few years back but I boycotted the awful venue due to the sound issues. I heard they actually placed their seats/instruments/spots off the stage within the audience and word has it that they were the only group that anyone could hear clearly for the whole festival. There is a recording on Rogue Art but it’s only on vinyl.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Any comments on the show Decoy with Joe McPhee?

It was outstanding. I was with some friends and it’s safe to say that we were all blown off our feet.  The band were really tight with sparks flying. 

here’s a photo taken with my film camera 

DD24795B-C7A0-42A0-AF63-373CB7B66616.jpeg

On 1/19/2020 at 8:19 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ve only seen her once - with that great large band back maybe 9-10 years ago when they played @ Columbia University on a double bill with Globe Unity Orchestra. As far as her recordings I’ve never heard even one that disappointed me and if it’s her vocalizing and humor, I’m all in. I think she’s one of the greatest ever on her instrument and I’m more fascinated with her pure improvising energy than I’ve ever been.

To me the trio with Maneri & Cleaver is a dream group. They played at Vision Fest a few years back but I boycotted the awful venue due to the sound issues. I heard they actually placed their seats/instruments/spots off the stage within the audience and word has it that they were the only group that anyone could hear clearly for the whole festival. There is a recording on Rogue Art but it’s only on vinyl.

Leandre-Maneri-Cleaver concert was very much so-so. They all seemed very tired, and Maneri was coughing quite a bit. The music was quite subdued, repetitive and sort of lazy challenge-wise. Played one short set (two sets were expected). Leandre was bowing 95% of the time. Mercifully, nearly no vocalizing. 

On 1/19/2020 at 8:19 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

As far as her [Leandre's] recordings I’ve never heard even one that disappointed me

Going thought my collections there are clunkers galore: "Blue Memories" with Mario Schiano & Renato Geremia, "No Waiting" with Derek Bailey, "Organic - Mineral" with Kazue Sawai, "Sur une Balançoire" with Gianni Lenoci, "Winter in New York - 2006" with Kevin Norton. I don't remember it that well, but I seem to recall that Stone Quartet at Vision is not particularly a revelation either.  

On 2/3/2020 at 3:58 PM, Clunky said:

Picked up a couple of Decoy discs including their latest at their gig in Edinburgh last Friday with Joe McPhee plus this one ...it’s excellent 

Coincidentally, just bought the Decoy / McPhee CD from Bo'weavil a couple of days ago, looking forward to hearing it.  

Edited by Д.Д.

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

Leandre-Maneri-Cleaver concert was very much so-so. They all seemed very tired, and Maneri was coughing quite a bit. The music was quite subdued, repetitive and sort of lazy challenge-wise. Played one short set (two sets were expected). Leandre was bowing 95% of the time. Mercifully, nearly no vocalizing. 

Going thought my collections there are clunkers galore: "Blue Memories" with Mario Schiano & Renato Geremia, "No Waiting" with Derek Bailey, "Organic - Mineral" with Kazue Sawai, "Sur une Balançoire" with Gianni Lenoci, "Winter in New York - 2006" with Kevin Norton. I don't remember is that well, but I seem to remember that Stone Quartet at Vision is not particularly a revelation either.  

Coincidentally, just bought the Decoy / McPhee CD from Bo'weavil a couple of days ago, looking forward to hearing it.  

Mat must have been sick. I’ve never heard him cough while he’s playing and I’ve seen him live at least 25 times over the years.

2 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Well, touring is taxing, particularly when you are not young anymore.  

What is unusual is the last 4 recent performances by Maneri have been among the best I’ve ever heard him play. Very very high level of improvising. In vastly different contexts each time. Last show was last month.

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

What is unusual is the last 4 recent performances by Maneri have been among the best I’ve ever heard him play. Very very high level of improvising. In vastly different contexts each time. Last show was last month.

Don't get me wrong, this was not a bad concert. Maneri was the best of the three, his sound simply gorgeous. There were just not too many ideas floating around.   

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

occasionally, though his day gig as a schoolteacher is somewhat prohibitive in this regard. Excellent player.

Just earlier today was listening to Chris Welcome's "Luz" - what an excellent album. With Jonathan Moritz, Shayna Dulberger and one of my favorite drummers, John (Johnny) McLellan (who sadly died a few years ago).

https://chriswelcome.bandcamp.com/album/luz 

John McLellan tribute: 

Edited by Д.Д.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:53 PM, Д.Д. said:

I like The Pearls. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...