Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

5 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

are there 2 or 3 that you might recommend as extra special?

I have not heard everything, but I liked these two a lot:

https://mikroton.net/mikroton-cd-61/ (on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/2It0O8SEnHwjzj6mlP4dwJ )

https://mikroton.net/mikroton-cd-56/ (on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/14zHLfis3zJnC6yMLWR7cy )

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 08/06/2020 at 5:41 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

I hate music site is back on line

thread is Free Jazz/improv albums 2005-2015. I think I have a bunch of posts there. If I can figure it out, I’ll try to copy some of that information for here.

A big thank you for linking to these, by the way. These are some great recommendations and it makes a difference to have the mini reviews with each of the recs.  I am following them up gradually.

Are you planning on posting on any more labels? 

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

A big thank you for linking to these, by the way. These are some great recommendations and it makes a difference to have the mini reviews with each of the recs.  I am following them up gradually.

Are you planning on posting on any more labels? 

I’m not sure what I covered back when I was writing that stuff. I havn’t looked recently to see what most of it was. I’ve been mining much of the same territory. I think there is plenty there. For example I just ordered a Quintet that includes Agusti Fernandez, Albert Cirera & Rafal Mazur. Polish label I think - album called Flux Quintet. Plus I’m always looking at the new releases / read point of departure, free jazz blog, the NY jazz guide, etc. 

plus I look for large groups with my favorites - like Lonberg-Holm, Mazur, Lillinger, Edwards, Tomeka, Delius, etc - just to name a few 

10 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’m not sure what I covered back when I was writing that stuff. I havn’t looked recently to see what most of it was. I’ve been mining much of the same territory. I think there is plenty there. For example I just ordered a Quintet that includes Agusti Fernandez, Albert Cirera & Rafal Mazur. Polish label I think - album called Flux Quintet. Plus I’m always looking at the new releases / read point of departure, free jazz blog, the NY jazz guide, etc. 

plus I look for large groups with my favorites - like Lonberg-Holm, Mazur, Lillinger, Edwards, Tomeka, Delius, etc - just to name a few 

I am going to start checking those more regularly. It’s been nice to catch up a little. 

Increasingly I’m finding that Bandcamp and Twitter are some of the best sources for finding out about this music (although more for reissues with the latter).

• 2 weeks later...

Upcoming batch of CvsD releases:

Schlippenbach Quartett - Three Nails Left
Don Pullen & Milford Graves - Complete Yale Concert 1966
Joe McPhee - Black Is The Color – Live in Poughkeepsie & New Windsor 1969/1970

I will probably buy the Schlippenbach CD but it's a slightly disappointing choice from the FMP catalogue given that it was already released on CD (albeit in incomplete form) by FMP and on vinyl by Cien Fuegos just a couple months ago. The other two are of course very exciting, I'm interested to get more details on the McPhee music.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of new discs just arrived from Holland.

First up..... Guus Janssen/ Win Jansesen------Home Made Music----(geestroden)

I've admired Guus J for nearly two decades since seeing him perform. Here his playful side is well illustrated. JS Bach like melodies and other eccentricities pepper this entertaining release. What's not to like when a disc starts with Herbie Nichol's House Party Starting. The other disc is as yet unopened new release from the ICP - de hondemepper (ICP 062)

Just learnt that Cor Fuhler died in July. Such an original voice. His Conundrom label releases are very much worth exploring: https://conundrom.bandcamp.com/  

And MoovSpot on Musica Genera: http://www.musicagenera.net/record_mg008.html and fantastic Stengam on Potlatch.

And many more. 

ea2756_77a1907f5c9940618e460f8a863b044c.

Edited by Д.Д.

12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don't know him [Cor Fuhler] at all, but that is sad news. Is there one with which you would start?

"Stengam" on Potlatch, there are some samples here: http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=07824&Store_Code=S&search=Cor+Fuhler&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=code.desc&range_low=&range_high=&srch_name=1 

And I like these two on his own Conundrom label:

https://conundrom.bandcamp.com/album/crax

https://conundrom.bandcamp.com/album/mp

54 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Very much agree with your recommendation on "Stengam".  

I had looked for another solo album called " 7 CC IN IO" for a long time finally broke down and made an international purchase from Discogs in July.  As it turned out it was shipped to me 2 days before Mr. Fuhler was called home.  It is pretty darn good as well but hard to find.  

2 hours ago, NIS said:

I had looked for another solo album called " 7 CC IN IO" for a long time finally broke down and made an international purchase from Discogs in July.  As it turned out it was shipped to me 2 days before Mr. Fuhler was called home.  It is pretty darn good as well but hard to find.  

Yes, good one too, and yes, seems difficult to find now.  

17 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Potlatch has a sale in September - each CD is 10 euro, worldwide shipping included: http://www.potlatch.fr/ . A lot of good stuff on the label.  

Thanks for this. Some very enticing looking recordings. Any BIG favorites you would recommend? I’ve been aware of the label for years and I might have 1 or 2 discs that were sent to me years ago but I’ve not investigated their catalogue.

no doubt I’ll be placing an order some time next month for a few of these titles 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, Д.Д. said:

Potlatch has a sale in September - each CD is 10 euro, worldwide shipping included: http://www.potlatch.fr/ . A lot of good stuff on the label.  

10 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Any BIG favorites you would recommend?

Yes. It is mostly quite austere stuff, particularly the later releases. On a more humane side:

1. Madly You - Daunik Lazro, Carlos Zingaro, Joëlle Léandre, Paul Lovens. You can't go wrong with the combination of Lazro and Zingaro. I remember Joe McPhee telling me how great Lazro is and how much he enjoyed playing with him.   

2. exaltatio utriusque mundi - Frédéric Blondy, Lê Quan Ninh - for phenomenal and absolutely unique drums (mostly just one bass drum, to be precise) playing by Lê Quan Ninh. The first track is so-so with Blondy and Ninh looking for the right balance, but from then on (when Ninh clearly starts leading) it's fantastic.

3. Stengam - Cor Fuhler. As mentioned above, an absorbing solo piano masterpiece.

4. Ichnites - Pascal Battus, Christine Sehnaoui Abdelnour. Battus is playing "rotating surfaces" here, i.e. various objects pressed upon rotating parts of thrashed walkmans, and the breadth and warmth of sounds he extracts has to be heard to be believed. Works great with saxophonist Abdelnour. I find this a surprisingly joyful and entertaining record. Squidco has some samples: http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=12910&Store_Code=S&search=pascal+battus&offset=&filter_cat=0&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=0&sort=&range_low=&range_high=&srch_name=1&srch_artist=1&srch_personnel=1            

Edited by Д.Д.

2 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Yes. It is mostly quite austere stuff, particularly the later releases. On a more humane side:

1. Madly You - Daunik Lazro, Carlos Zingaro, Joëlle Léandre, Paul Lovens. You can't go wrong with the combination of Lazro and Zingaro. I remember Joe McPhee telling me how great Lazro is and how much he enjoyed playing with him.   

2. exaltatio utriusque mundi - Frédéric Blondy, Lê Quan Ninh for phenomenal and absolutely unique drums (mostly just one bass drum, to be precise) playing of Lê Quan Ninh. The first track is so-so with Blondy and Ninh looking for a right balance, but from then on (when Ninh clearly starts leading) it's fantastic.

3. Stengam - Cor Fuhler. As mentioned above, an absorbing solo piano masterpiece.

4. Ichnites - Pascal Battus, Christine Sehnaoui Abdelnour. Battus is playing "rotating surfaces" here, i.e. various objects pressed upon rotating parts of thrashed walkmans, and the breadth and warmth of sounds he extracts has to be heard to be believed. Works great with saxophonist Abdelnour. I find this a surprisingly joyful and entertaining record. Squidco has some samples: http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=12910&Store_Code=S&search=pascal+battus&offset=&filter_cat=0&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=0&sort=&range_low=&range_high=&srch_name=1&srch_artist=1&srch_personnel=1            

Thanks 

I’m a sure yes on the first one with Lazro & Zingaro & the second with Ninh - he’s extraordinary. I do like austere stuff so I’ll probably investigate some of the more recent releases as well.

there is an excellent recent release with Ninh on relative pitch that you might be interested in. That local NYC label has some releases that would be of interest to you.

36 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Thanks 

I’m a sure yes on the first one with Lazro & Zingaro & the second with Ninh - he’s extraordinary. I do like austere stuff so I’ll probably investigate some of the more recent releases as well.

there is an excellent recent release with Ninh on relative pitch that you might be interested in. That local NYC label has some releases that would be of interest to you.

Yes, thanks. Put it into my bandcamp wishlist. 

I have exactly one Relative Pitch release, the Butcher-Edwards-Sanders trio, good stuff. There are a few more that look interesting, will get them eventually.

Talking about Bandcamp, got the Tarfala Trio (Gustafsson - Guy - Strid) "Syzygy" (otherwise available as LP only on No Business). Impressive. https://nobusinessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/syzygy  

15 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Yes, thanks. Put it into my bandcamp wishlist. 

I have exactly one Relative Pitch release, the Butcher-Edwards-Sanders trio, good stuff. There are a few more that look interesting, will get them eventually.

Talking about Bandcamp, got the Tarfala Trio (Gustafsson - Guy - Strid) "Syzygy" (otherwise available as LP only on No Business). Impressive. https://nobusinessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/syzygy  

Some of the seemingly odd Relative Pitch releases are the best. Top of the list for me is Bind the Hands that Feed with Michael Foster, Katherine Young & Michael Zerang. The one with Thollem Electric & Rob Mazurek is also great. The catalogue is strong throughout - but I can do without the excess of Ingrid/Tom duos. 

even the straighter free jazz stuff is not quite in the center and you might like most of it more than you think you will. Kevin Reilly has good ears. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

3 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

2. exaltatio utriusque mundi - Frédéric Blondy, Lê Quan Ninh - for phenomenal and absolutely unique drums (mostly just one bass drum, to be precise) playing by Lê Quan Ninh. The first track is so-so with Blondy and Ninh looking for the right balance, but from then on (when Ninh clearly starts leading) it's fantastic.

Thanks, the Cor Fuhler looks very good. Have to agree with you on the austere nature of the catalog...I saw the names Beuger and Frey (familiar from Wandelweiser and Another Timbre) up near the top and didn't have the patience to explore further.

Digging in to the Astral Spirits catalogue

too bad about the cassette & vinyl only as I’ll be buying up almost all the CD releases. Starting with my first listen to Interpersonal Subjectivities this AM

also have the wondrous 2 CD set with our own Alexander Hawkins, Watts, Moholo-Moholo & also our very own Karl Evangelista

plus I received the trio with Brandon Seabrook, Cooper-Moore & Gerald Cleaver - plus they sent me a bonus - a quartet that includes Daniel Carter, Brandon Lopez & Marc Edwards - led by Colin Fisher - not familiar with him - might be a bit too straight free jazz for my sweet spot - but a nice gift and Lopez is a favorite younger bassist who I’ve seen live a few times over the past few years and he’s marvelous. He’s almost 40 but still a bit younger than many. Glad this label is featuring all sorts of known and unknown to me musicians 

the first Above sounding as exciting as this sort of stuff gets - guitar, tenor & drums - one of my favorite combinations of instrumentation when there is a good guitarist.  This Tetuzi Akiyama sounds like my type of abstract layer making dude that I love.

very impressed with Nicolas Field on drums and Gregor Vidic is an understated yet powerful force on tenor. Very excited to revisit this often.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

17 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Digging in to the Astral Spirits catalogue

too bad about the cassette & vinyl only as I’ll be buying up almost all the CD releases. Starting with my first listen to Interpersonal Subjectivities this AM

also have the wondrous 2 CD set with our own Alexander Hawkins, Watts, Moholo-Moholo & also our very own Karl Evangelista

plus I received the trio with Brandon Seabrook, Cooper-Moore & Gerald Cleaver - plus they sent me a bonus - a quartet that includes Daniel Carter, Brandon Lopez & Marc Edwards - led by Colin Fisher - not familiar with him - might be a bit too straight free jazz for my sweet spot - but a nice gift and Lopez is a favorite younger bassist who I’ve seen live a few times over the past few years and he’s marvelous. He’s almost 40 but still a bit younger than many. Glad this label is featuring all sorts of known and unknown to me musicians 

the first Above sounding as exciting as this sort of stuff gets - guitar, tenor & drums - one of my favorite combinations of instrumentation when there is a good guitarist.  This Tetuzi Akiyama sounds like my type of abstract layer making dude that I love.

very impressed with Nicolas Field on drums and Gregor Vidic is an understated yet powerful force on tenor. Very excited to revisit this often.

That's the one label that's really consistently piqueing my interest these days. I haven't bought a lot but those I have have been very interesting.  This label is one of the reasons I buy more downloads for contemporary releases these days - many are in my Bandcamp Wishlist for some time soon

On 7/8/2020 at 7:41 PM, Д.Д. said:

Streaming On Tidal: Fracture Mechanics 

right in my wheelhouse for this sort of stuff. Some quieter portions but no limits on wildness while still having a measured approach with restraint which gives much of this ultra abstract improvised music such power and tensile qualities. Martin Kuchen adapts well to this type of music and anything I’ve heard with Burkhard Beins has been worth hearing.

Edited by Steve Reynolds