Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

On 9/8/2020 at 9:15 PM, djcavanagh said:

I bought a Cafe Oto membership at the start of the lockdown and have more digital download credits than I'm likely to be able to use. So I'd like to offer up five of the downloads to whoever here to use on the takuroku series, which is an in-house label releasing music through the lock-down. First come, first served - just PM me with the download that you would like and an email address and I'll figure out how to transfer it over.

Guys, I encourage you all to take a look at the Cafe Oto membership option. For GBP 100 per year you get three free downloads per month (and discounts on additional downloads)  - not just from the Cafe Oto in-house label but also from Matchless, Astral Spirits, Ogun, Incus, Fataka, Okka, Trost, etc. Tons of great music there: https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/downloads/      

A lot of stuff that flew below the radar when it was released (for me, at least). I downloaded Evan Parker + AMM yesterday: https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/shop/evan-parker-amm-title-goes-here-dl/ - outstanding, listened to it three times in a row (while doing my taxes, no less). And I am not even an EP fan!

ds017-evan-parker+amm-01_page_image.png  

Edited by Д.Д.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

Guys, I encourage you all to take a look at Cafe Oto membership option. For GBP 100 per year you get three free downloads per month (and discounts on additional downloads)  - not just from Cafe Oto in-house releases but also from Matchless, Astral Spirits, Ogun, Incus, Fataka, Okka, Trost, etc. Tons of great music there: https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/shop/evan-parker-amm-title-goes-here-dl/     

A lot of stuff that flew below the radar when it was released (for me, at least). I downloaded Evan Parker + AMM yesterday: https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/shop/evan-parker-amm-title-goes-here-dl/ - outstanding, listened to it three times in a row (while doing my taxes, no less). And I am not even an EP fan!

ds017-evan-parker+amm-01_page_image.png  

I was at that gig, not doing my taxes

On 10/4/2020 at 0:52 AM, Д.Д. said:

Yes, Butcher sounds rather unhinged at times here. And untypically jazzy.

As mentioned earlier, there is a new release by the same [Butcher - Lehn - Shipp] trio on RogueArt: https://roguart.com/product/the-clawed-stone/154   

I listened to this one for the first time and it's highly recommended. It's not as confrontational as their previous collaboration, Tangle. Butcher is more upfront, Shipp is more subdued. The sound is excellent.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Some interesting looking new archival releases of duos between Japanese and European musicians seem to have come out from NoBusiness recently. 

Absolutely, the latest batch looks great. Derek Bailey, Barry Guy, Sam Rivers, Masabumi Kikuchi, Sabu Toyozumi, just to name a few that are included, wow!

15 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Can't see a Barry Guy solo set not sounding good really. Unless he takes up the bagpipes

Very true. Speaking about bagpipes (aren't we always?), for years I've been meaning to check out Dunmall on the instrument. I don't like his tenor playing (boring), his soprano is horrendous (IMHO, of course), but I remember quite liking the only bagpipe record of his I heard ("Hit and Run" on FMP).       

42 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

I skimmed through the Barry Guy solo set ( https://nobusinessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/irvins-comet ), sounds good. The download price is better from the No Business website directly: https://nobusinessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/irvins-comet   

a0088479221_10.jpg

And what's up with Psi-ficaton of the cover art? 

R-2335100-1277792356.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

Very true. Speaking about bagpipes (aren't we always?), for years I've been meaning to check out Dunmall on the instrument. I don't like his tenor playing (boring), his soprano is horrendous (IMHO, of course), but I remember quite liking the only bagpipe record of his I heard ("Hit and Run" on FMP).       

The bagpipes are good on that record, and it's one of my favourites of his overall. 

His solo bagpipes record is ... as advertised. 

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

If Dunmall’s tenor playing on Ghostly Thoughts is boring I want more boredom!!

I think so. A lot of predictable 60s fire-music clichés. On the other hand, Adams and Sanders are fantastic on this one, I would have been very happy if this were their duo album.   

Here is what I had to say about it last week... oh wait, 16 years ago - and I still think the same way (I am actually listening to the album right now):

On 5/3/2004 at 10:27 PM, Д.Д. said:

OK, Ghostly Thoughts...

I quite liked the disc. Not masterpiece, IMO, but a good one. A pretty conventional record by all standards (and not particularly intense or noisy), and I am not sure where all the controversy comes from.

Dunmall is very "jazzy" - probably too much for this setting. He has a nice sound here (raspy big tenor, mostly in the middle register - not too much of altissimo squeaking; and some baritone...), but his ideas are a bit banal here - standard early free jazz power licks (with bluesy feel - Shepp or something...). So for me Dunmall is the weakest part of the album. But the other two players are outstanding: Mark Sanders on drums is doing some amazing stuff - reminds me of Tony Williams a bit, and probably Roy Haynes even more - some airy but intense and very propulsive playing...very diverse and very attuned to other two players. Really a pleasure to listen to. Actually the disc starts with some very creative manipulations with hi-hat. Good man. I should get more of his stuff.

And then there is Hans' hero John Adams on guitar, whose playing I probably enjoy the most here (or more correctly, his interplay with Sanders). Adams has a very attractive sound - "semi-acoustic", very clean and clear, with slight "stretching" (I don't know how you call this effect - when a note after being played slides a bit; it's used in blues rather often), but at the same time the sound is full - not some sort of ugly flat Metheny shit, but sound with volume. And this is good. Adams' technique is superb (the guy can play really fast), and his imagination is impressive - he comes up with a lot of nice ideas and is pretty melodic (and even lyrical- as on the second piece) most of the time. I frankly can hardly imagine what can possibly irritate in his contribution here. Anyway, Adams and Sanders are very sympathetic to each other and create some intriguing counterpoint here. Actually, I would have probably preferred to listen to Adams/Sanders duo (and a bit of it happens at the beginning of the last piece) - they sound more free than with Dunmall, who tends to drag them (and since both Sanders and Adams listen a lot, they follow Dunmall) into more predictable routine a bit.

To sum up, if anybody knows of Sanders / Adams duo CD - let me know.

Edited by Д.Д.

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

I think so. A lot of predictable 60s fire-music clichés. On the other hand, Adams and Sanders are fantastic on this one, I would have been very happy if this were their duo album.   

Here is what I had to say about it last week... oh wait, 16 years ago - and I still think the same way (I am actually listening to the album right now):

Thanks for posting that. I still love Brotzmann as well - I know you do not!

I’m also still big into Fred Anderson, Kidd Jordan, David S Ware and other expressive free jazz tenors. 

9 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Thanks for posting that. I still love Brotzmann as well - I know you do not!

I’m also still big into Fred Anderson, Kidd Jordan, David S Ware and other expressive free jazz tenors. 

Well, I love Kidd Jordan and Fred Anderson (although with Anderson most of his releases sound kind of the same to me). I can't stand David S. Ware, never could. Brötzmann at least I used to like, and quite a bit so, but Ware - never. There was one album of his that I thought was mildly interesting - "Corridors & Parallels", but mainly due to Shipp's synth playing.     

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes that piqued my interest this morning. Looks like a fasciminating set. I'm pleased about the solo disc as I've not heard his other solo disc

I just placed a big order with a bunch of Astral Spirits CD’s and Fundajca Slujach CD’s including the 5 CD Trevor Watts box. So this is in my cart for early next year:)