colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 05/10/2020 at 7:18 PM, Д.Д. said:

I've been returning to this one recently: modern / avant pieces for solo saxophone, with thanks to D.D. for the recommendation. 

One striking part of the record are that there are more breathing and tonguing techniques being displayed than I normally expect from notated music, and they are applied with a degree of uniformity, despite the very different composers whose work is included. Presumably this is Delangle's own interpretative slant on these pieces. 

Has Delangle been involved in any other worthwhile projects, composed or improvised or in between?

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I've been returning to this one recently: modern / avant pieces for solo saxophone, with thanks to D.D. for the recommendation. 

One striking part of the record are that there are more breathing and tonguing techniques being displayed than I normally expect from notated music, and they are applied with a degree of uniformity, despite the very different composers whose work is included. Presumably this is Delangle's own interpretative slant on these pieces. 

Has Delangle been involved in any other worthwhile projects, composed or improvised or in between?

I enjoy the Harmonious Breath album with the Taipei Orchestra. 

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I don't know Schwerdt but I would travel some distance to see Guy and Sommer together live,  not so sure about a recording.

Also, timings suggest 1CD but below the puff it states 2CD

I have the Big Bad Brotzmann Quintet CD with Schwerdt and he’s a fine fiery free jazz pianist.

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I have the Big Bad Brotzmann Quintet CD with Schwerdt and he’s a fine fiery free jazz pianist.

Thanks, That's been on my 'to investigate' list for some time. Maybe I just should.

edit: just looked at it again and realised my issue with it - Christian Lillinger, whose playing I really don't enjoy, having tried on numerous releases/occasions - undoubted technique but he needs to realise he doesn't have to shove it down everyone's throat all the time. 

Edited by mjazzg

From my yesterday's bandcamp haul: Bruised by Tony Bevan, Orphy Robinson, John Edwards, Ashley Wales and Mark Sanders - fantastic. I remember eyeing it way back when, 15 years ago in the Funny Rat times, but Foghorn CDs were quite expensive then. Now at GBP 6 per download (and GBP 4 per CD!) there is absolutely no excuse not to get it. 

https://tonybevan.bandcamp.com/album/bruised

Edited by Д.Д.

2 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

From my yesterday's bandcamp haul: Bruised by Tony Bevan, Orphy Robinson, John Edwards, Ashley Wales and Mark Sanders and others - fantastic. I remember eyeing it way back when, 15 years ago in the Funny Rat times, but Foghorn CDs were quite expensive then. Now at GBP 6 per download (and GBP 4 per CD!) there is absolutely no excuse not to get it. 

https://tonybevan.bandcamp.com/album/bruised

Added a bunch of those to my band camp cart including the above - hopefully can place the order soon (before the Rafal Mazur bid sells out)

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 1 month later...

Listed as Upcoming at Squidco:

Cecil Taylor Quintet featuring Harri Sjostrom, Tristan Honsinger, Teppo Hauta-aho, Paul Lovens: Lifting The Bandstand 
Listen! Foundation (Fundacja Sluchaj!)  

Very happy to finally see one of Cecil’s groups get an archival release (and especially this one!); since his passing, only solos & duos with Oxley and Dixon have seen release. 

2 hours ago, colinmce said:

Listed as Upcoming at Squidco:

Cecil Taylor Quintet featuring Harri Sjostrom, Tristan Honsinger, Teppo Hauta-aho, Paul Lovens: Lifting The Bandstand 
Listen! Foundation (Fundacja Sluchaj!)  

Very happy to finally see one of Cecil’s groups get an archival release (and especially this one!); since his passing, only solos & duos with Oxley and Dixon have seen release. 

That's a hell of a band too

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Are you keen on this [Butcher - Shipp - Lehn "Tangle"]? Or does it put us back in the Guerilla Mosaics territory of some (!) years ago?

It's great album and it does not sound like "Guerilla Mosaics" at all - much more gravitas to it. "Guerilla Mosaics" is not the best Butcher out there, that's for sure.  

"Tangle" is available for streaming at full at Bandcamp: https://f-a-t-a-k-a.bandcamp.com/album/tangle  

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

It's great album and it does not sound like "Guerilla Mosaics" at all - much more gravitas to it. "Guerilla Mosaics" is not the best Butcher out there, that's for sure.  

"Tangle" is available for streaming at full at Bandcamp: https://f-a-t-a-k-a.bandcamp.com/album/tangle  

I’ve been comparing the two on Bandcamp, that’s why I was wondering how much difference you found between them. I’m a Butcher enthusiast though I’ve never bothered much with his records. 

Fwiw the Rafal Mazur box is wondrous. Duets with Gregario & Majewski hit the spot for me.

so far none of the Astral Spirits have let me down - maybe my favorite is Zoning with Nick Fraser, Kris Davis & Tony Malaby (with Ingrid Laubrock & Lina Allemano guesting on 3 tracks). It’s short like an old school LP and the tunes are hidden and the improvising is focused and powerful. Malaby’s soprano playing continues to astound. Ingrid is a great foil on her 3 tracks (she’s on tenor).

20 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Fwiw the Rafal Mazur box is wondrous. Duets with Gregario & Majewski hit the spot for me.

Thought it would be.  Ordering physical from Poland has just got very difficult in the UK so i think it will be the download version for me.  Is Neuringer on it anywhere, their duo discs are red hot.

Talking of which I just bought Tani Tabbal Trio's 'Now Then' on Tao Forms. A great listen, very impressed by Adam Siegel on this.

Edited by mjazzg

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Thought it would be.  Ordering physical from Poland has just got very difficult in the UK so i think it will be the download version for me.  Is Neuringer on it anywhere, their duo discs are red hot.

Talking of which I just bought Tani Tabbal Trio's 'Now Then' on Tao Forms. A great listen, very impressed by Adam Siegel on this.

No Neuringer on it:( But he translated Mazur’s short liner notes!

saving the 4th disc which is a quintet with Fujii, Gregario, Tamara & Ramon Lopez on drums 

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Agree about the Tabbal.