Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the subject of the Butcher/ Lehn/ Shipp Tangle record, there's a new duo album on RogueArt between Shipp and Evan Parker called Leonine Aspects which I have been enjoying and would recommend.

It's not a million miles away from the interplay between Shipp and Butcher. I'm not that familiar with Parker in this sort of setting, but his approach is similar to Butcher's, and less like his own solo or group work, to my ears. I think it works well.

Nice work coming out on RogueArt at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd let people on here know - I've just released the 2nd album on my label West Hill Records, an improvised quartet with Paul Dunmall, Percy Pursglove and Jeff Williams.  I'm really proud of this one - apart from anything else Paul and Jeff have been really significant figures for both Percy and me, and this tour was the first time they had played together - was great to be able to make that happen.

Hopefully everyone reading this thread knows Paul Dunmall... Percy Pursglove you might have heard in Barry Guy's Blue Shroud band and Jeff Williams with the likes of Lookout Farm, various Bley/Lovano/Getz/Konitz bands, toured with Clifford Jordan, Art Farmer, etc etc...

Recorded live at Cafe Oto...  you can hear or buy it here: https://westhill.bandcamp.com/album/palindromes

Squidco will have physical copies in the US very soon

5 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Not all recent but the batch of Tony Bevan CD’s I received recently are uniformly fantastic. Two trios with John Edwards & Sunny Murray - and two Bruise group improv recordings - one with Derek Bailey and one without. Love his playing - especially on the bass saxophone. 

Is there one in particular which you would recommend? 

48 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is there one in particular which you would recommend? 

Bruised with Derek Bailey - 3 long improvs - stunning abstract stuff - right in my wheelhouse 

I stepped on a Bee (trio with Sunny) has Bevan only on tenor while The Gearbox Explodes has a bunch of bass sax - so get the latter which is a live date with more extended playing 

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Bruised with Derek Bailey - 3 long improvs - stunning abstract stuff - right in my wheelhouse 

I stepped on a Bee (trio with Sunny) has Bevan only on tenor while The Gearbox Explodes has a bunch of bass sax - so get the latter which is a live date with more extended playing 

Thanks! 

37 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Both of the Bruise(d) albums:

https://tonybevan.bandcamp.com/album/bruised 

https://tonybevan.bandcamp.com/album/bruise-with-derek-bailey 

are phenomenal really. I am listening to them all the time since I got them a couple of months ago. 

Only listened to the one with Bailey. It’s incredible. It’s got the Mark Sanders peak dynamic drumming that made me fall in love with him many years ago. The mix of the other odd instruments is sublime and creates drones organically (I hate using that term but I couldn’t think of any other way to describe it). It’s shocking that this music is 16+ years old. Sounds more like the best stuff that’s been recorded over the past 5 years or so on Relative Pitch, Fundacja & Astral Spirits. I guess Bailey’s legacy is strong. 

17 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Thanks for presenting these records, just bought two of them.

Edited by OliverM

A couple of nice Dutch CDs landed the other day

Komen & Gaan - ICP Septet (ICP066) - just spinning this, as with most ICP releases it'll take some time to sink in

Mij een Biet ! - Han & Guus - Han Bennink/Guus Janssen - improvised pieces by and large - not quite as playful as Groet from a decade ago but plenty to like.

Red Trio 10 year Anniversary with Celebration band will be a recording I will return to often. Much to hear here with many of my favorite lesser known and somewhat well known musicians on hand for the concert/recording. Love having Butcher & Amado with the lesser known trumpeters. Plus all the additional string players make subtle yet intriguing additions to the music. Something new yet gracious and traditional in this EFI and small form improv influenced music. Restraint and control with appearances of high energy happening when it was meant to happen.

glorious first listen the last 2 days.

44 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Red Trio 10 year Anniversary with Celebration band will be a recording I will return to often. Much to hear here with many of my favorite lesser known and somewhat well known musicians on hand for the concert/recording. Love having Butcher & Amado with the lesser known trumpeters. Plus all the additional string players make subtle yet intriguing additions to the music. Something new yet gracious and traditional in this EFI and small form improv influenced music. Restraint and control with appearances of high energy happening when it was meant to happen.

glorious first listen the last 2 days

Thanks Steve! I love the older RED trio records with some of the collaborators here and was sizing this one up. I'll take the plunge.

Thumbs up from me for the recent Voluptuaries record on Leo by Brandon Seabrook and Simon Nabatov. 

a2401007187_16.jpg

It's a really nice one if you fancy something free improv-ish, but with a bit of heart.

Nul points for the font choice on the album cover though!

It's on Bandcamp with some tracks available for streaming.

Edited by Rabshakeh

5 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thumbs up from me for the recent Voluptuaries record on Leo by Brandon Seabrook and Simon Nabatov. 

a2401007187_16.jpg

It's a really nice one if you fancy something free improv-ish, but with a bit of heart.

Nul points for the font choice on the album cover though!

It's on Bandcamp with some tracks available for streaming.

Thanks for the tip, two artists I haven't treally listened to.

After all these years, Leo's graphic design team is still as quaintly inept as it's ever been...shoestring exercise, I realise but it does make me smile.  Similarly with FMR

Recent landing from Poland 

Cecil Taylor ----- Lifting the bandstand----(Fundacja)

Live quintet recording from Tampere 1998 with Paul Lovens, Tristan Honsinger a.o.  I have a hard time evaluating CT discs and where they fit into his output but this is very well recorded and isn't short of excitement - but then when does he ever come up short. 

Currently listening to, and enjoying, B.C. by Jan Klare. It's one of a run of solo saxophone records that's that came out last year (although it was apparently recorded in 2019, back when it was still normal to have non-solo records...).

I don't know anything about Klare. I have checked my collection and he doesn't play on any records that I have. Does anyone know anything about him, or have any other records of his (leader or sideman) to recommend?

Edited by Rabshakeh

I'm sure everybody's mailbox is exploding from bandcamp Friday pleas today, but here is the one that should not be missed: full Balance Point Acoustics (which, actually, includes not just BPA titles but a lot of Damon Smith recordings on other labels such as Astral Spirits, NotTwo, Rastascan, etc.) - 69 (!) albums in total - offered with 90% discount, which comes to less than $50. Scroll to the middle of the page: https://balancepointacoustics.bandcamp.com/album/bpa-6-song-for-chico     

21 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

I'm sure everybody's mailbox is exploding from bandcamp Friday pleas today, but here is the one that should not be missed: full Balance Point Acoustics (which, actually, includes not just BPA titles but a lot of Damon Smith recordings on other labels such as Astral Spirits, NotTwo, Rastascan, etc.) - 69 (!) albums in total - offered with 90% discount, which comes to less than $50. Scroll to the middle of the page: https://balancepointacoustics.bandcamp.com/album/bpa-6-song-for-chico     

Cool - but, how do you know it's bandcamp Friday? I never get the emails...

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying this - 

23EC1EB0-2739-4559-9AA5-6332ED941E24

Not the book, the record. The book is OK too.

And yes, the case is cracked. That is the price of art.