colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

So I just need to check that page every friday...?

It's the first Friday of the month for as long as the pandemic lasts. Bandcamp has already committed they will have ones in April and May too.    

I've plugged for Artlessly Falling by Mary Halvorson's Code Girl, which I haven't heard yet, and taken a punt on Pat Thomas and the Locals' new Play The Music of Anthony Braxton.  

I'm always happy to support Pat Thomas, who never seems to get many breaks. The Coronavirus and lockdown seem to have pushed him to record a bit more. Or perhaps OTO is just offering him some more recording opportunities to replace the three or five hundred gigs he would have otherwise played for them last year...

Edited by Rabshakeh

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I've plugged for Artlessly Falling's Code Girl, which I haven't heard yet, and taken a punt on Pat Thomas and the Locals' new Play The Music of Anthony Braxton.  

I'm always happy to support Pat Thomas, who never seems to get many breaks. The Coronavirus and lockdown seem to have pushed him to record a bit more. Or perhaps OTO is just offering him some more recording opportunities to replace the three or five hundred gigs he would have otherwise played for them last year...

I agree about Thomas. The two recent releases on Otoroku on which he features are both worth investigating. The duo with Matana Roberts and the Black Top 

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/shop/somegoodnews/

That Local's sounds great fun

On 10/01/2021 at 4:21 PM, colinmce said:

Listed as Upcoming at Squidco:

Cecil Taylor Quintet featuring Harri Sjostrom, Tristan Honsinger, Teppo Hauta-aho, Paul Lovens: Lifting The Bandstand 
Listen! Foundation (Fundacja Sluchaj!)  

Very happy to finally see one of Cecil’s groups get an archival release (and especially this one!); since his passing, only solos & duos with Oxley and Dixon have seen release. 

Just great. Thought I’d ‘done’ Cecil a long time ago, but this pulled me right back in. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 11:06 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Red Trio 10 year Anniversary with Celebration band will be a recording I will return to often. Much to hear here with many of my favorite lesser known and somewhat well known musicians on hand for the concert/recording. Love having Butcher & Amado with the lesser known trumpeters. Plus all the additional string players make subtle yet intriguing additions to the music. Something new yet gracious and traditional in this EFI and small form improv influenced music. Restraint and control with appearances of high energy happening when it was meant to happen.

glorious first listen the last 2 days.

Second listen reveals even more wonder. Most importantly I started to not listen to who is playing what. Wow.

First listen to 'Warszawa' by Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble.

Percy Pursglove marvelously prominent

On 24/03/2021 at 9:55 PM, Д.Д. said:

Can't be too bad, right? 

image.jpg 

Just released on Creative Works Records. 

No download option that I can find. £16.80 before shipping for the CD is too much

On 04/03/2021 at 0:49 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I've plugged for Artlessly Falling by Mary Halvorson's Code Girl, which I haven't heard yet, and taken a punt on Pat Thomas and the Locals' new Play The Music of Anthony Braxton.  

I’ve finally gotten round to listening to this one. 

84F26ECD-1052-420C-A39B-C730D6214CB4.jpeg

I really recommend it. A very fresh take on Braxton that sounds equally influenced by Ornette Coleman’s electric funk stage. 

5 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

More listening to the 2 Bruised CD’s - wondrous 

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Those Bruised records are really something. 

Yes, major albums both - I like the one sans Bailey slightly more. 

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I’ve finally gotten round to listening to this one. 

84F26ECD-1052-420C-A39B-C730D6214CB4.jpeg

I really recommend it. A very fresh take on Braxton that sounds equally influenced by Ornette Coleman’s electric funk stage. 

It's on Spotify, will give it a go. Breathing life into Braxton's stodgy lifeless compositions is no easy feat, so I am curious how Thomas & Co. fare. Moreover, the music is recorded at the excellent local Austrian festival (about one hour drive from Vienna, right on the border with Hungary) that I used to attend (not in 2006 when this performance took place, later). Remember live music?       

1 minute ago, Д.Д. said:

t's on Spotify, will give it a go. Breathing life into Braxton's stodgy lifeless compositions is no easy feat, so I am curious how Thomas & Co. fare.    

They've taken the obvious ones from the 70s. The catchier ones. It's not ghost dance stuff, I promise. 

3 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Remember live music?       

Oh yes. I cannot wait for the return of live music. I am kicking myself for every gig I didn't attend.

10 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's not ghost dance stuff, I promise. .

Ghost dance :g . Wasn't it ghost trance? Trans-dance, ghost-chance, whatever. I remember the only GTM release of Braxton (of what I have heard, I have not heard everything, Lord have mercy) I found semi-decent was Four Compositions (GTM) 2000 on Delmark. But even Braxton's more interesting '70s stuff is compositionally quite weak (IMHO). There are dozens of jazz musicians who write more interesting tunes. Just off the top of my head, because I was listening to him today - Guus Janssen.

But Braxton gives numbers to his compositions and dedicates them to Stockhausen, Partch and like and wears a turtle-neck sweater (not to forget pipe-smoking), so he is a big composer.         

15 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Don't knock the turtle neck. That's how you know the compositions are serious.

And you're right. It is Ghost Trance, not Ghost Dance. Ghost Dance is a great Prince Buster tune. Ghost Trance was a particularly turgid era of Braxton. 

I like this post for two reasons. Firstly I never expected to see Prince Buster and Anthony Braxton referenced in the same sentence :D What a mash-up that would be.

And secondly, to learn that I'm not alone in finding GTM turgid. I'm a big Braxton fan but that period was one very expansive arid desert for me. 

On 4/10/2021 at 9:11 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

I put my order in for the rest of the Tony Bevan CD’s on foghorn records - I love the old school trio records with Sunny Murray 

More listening to the 2 Bruised CD’s - wondrous 

also will be receiving 3 more Dave Rempis CD’s 

34 minute Second set of Bruise with Derek Bailey one of the greatest things EVAH

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I like this post for two reasons. Firstly I never expected to see Prince Buster and Anthony Braxton referenced in the same sentence :D What a mash-up that would be.

And secondly, to learn that I'm not alone in finding GTM turgid. I'm a big Braxton fan but that period was one very expansive arid desert for me. 

For me I like to hear Braxton PLAY!!! See New Haven Quartet when they roar for 4 hour slabs of magic music. Then again Nels Cline is the X factor that makes it multiple re-listens as long as I’m on this orb. 

FqNOfrD2sd8EvcAA6j7_ecnMyT-MZwjvQWqZfCIW

This is a new Electro-Acoustic Ensemble CD recorded in 1996. This time with Sainkho Namtchylak plus Barry Guy, Paul Lytton, Phil Wachsmann, Marco Vecchi, Walter Prati and Evan Parker.

And another EAE is due for release on Fundacja Sluchaj.

a3403219445_16.jpg

Not only that they offer a bigger picture of the cover but they do reply to questions and requests. This was recorded in Poland 2019. The line-up is as follows:

Evan Parker - soprano
Matt Wright - laptop and turntable
Paul Lytton - percussion and analogue electronics
Richard Barrett - sampling keyboard
Paul Obermayer - sampling keyboard
Percy Pursglove - trumpet
Peter van Bergen - bass and Ab clarinets
Mark Nauseef - percussion
Sten Sandell - piano and synthesiser
Adam Linson - bass and electronics

Edited by Onxidlib