Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

57 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm really enjoying this one at the moment: 

Paul Dunmall Brass Project – Maha Samadhi (Slam, 2016)

R-9586758-1483205396-3326.jpg

2016, so not really a new release.

Dunmall and Olie Brice are both very good on this. The surprise for me though is the trumpeter Percy Pursglove, who is absolutely fantastic. Does anyone know him at all?

He’s on Barry Guy’s Intensegrity / sister box set to Tensegrity. He replaced Peter Evans who plays on Tensegrity.  My 2 favorite improvisation releases of the past 20 years. These are “small formations” of Guy’s Blue Shroud Band. FAR better than the individual CD that is compositionally based. Both are extraordinary from multiple vantage points.  

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Rabshakeh said:

4 CD box set. I'm saving it up for when the kids are packed off to university.

Don’t forget Mad Dogs & Mad Dogs on the Loose / those earlier boxes feature the New Orchestra which has older more established musicians like Evan Parker, Paul Lytton & Mats Gustafsson, etc. Agusti Fernandez is on On The Loose & the 2 later boxes. 

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm really enjoying this one at the moment: 

Paul Dunmall Brass Project – Maha Samadhi (Slam, 2016)

R-9586758-1483205396-3326.jpg

2016, so not really a new release.

Dunmall and Olie Brice are both very good on this. The surprise for me though is the trumpeter Percy Pursglove, who is absolutely fantastic. Does anyone know him at all?

That is a very good album. Pursglove is good everywhere I've heard him. I've tried to follow him since seeing him play with Evan Parker at The Vortex years ago

For a while a Birmingham based label had a suite of his slated for release but as far as I know it neither made it.  His discography is a bit patchy, he teaches in Birmingham I think. 

This is a real feature and with two other fabulous players

ODQtMjQwNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Then there's this, it's better than the cover art!

OTMtNDQzNy5qcGVn.jpeg

he's a bass player too

MTEtNTg5MC5qcGVn.jpeg

This recent release is excellent.

Home / All Compact Discs / James Singleton – Malabar (CD)

malabar-300x300.jpg

James Singleton – Malabar (CD)

$8.99

In stock

James Singleton - Malabar (CD) quantity
ADD TO CART

Description

Release Date: 2022

Label: Sinking City Records

Track List

1. Black Sheep Squared
  2. Malabar
  3. Where Where Is
  4. Nails Of Martin
  5. So Long Tall Rex
  6. Monster Clause
  7. Bluebelly
  8. Lento

Personnel

• James Singleton – bass, trumpet, effects
  • Mike Dillon – vibes, percussion, tabla
  • Justin Peake – drums, electronic sounds
  • Rex Gregory – clarinet, bass clarinet, flute, tenor sax
  • Brad Walker – tenor, alto, baritone sax
  • Jonathan Freilich – guitar

Notes

James Singleton is one of the most in demand bass players in New Orleans. At 66, Singleton has accompanied everyone from Chet Baker, Ellis Marsalis, John Scofield and James Booker. Singleton is also a core member of Astral Project, a group that OffBeat has called “the finest modern jazz ensemble in New Orleans,” and since 2016, Singleton has been a member of the lauded Nolatet.

21 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Let us know.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for Purslove if he ever comes near London.

Percy is a truly phenomenal musician. As mentioned, a brilliant bass player too, and he currently holds a trumpet chair in one of the German radio big bands. He also plays on two of my records - the large ensemble disc from the Unit[e] set, and Togetherness Music (you can actually hear him on one of the preview track - 'Sea No Shore'). But anyway...an amazing musician.

Today’s FJC post mentions various McPhee / Lazro collaborations. 

• As a duo on - "Elan, Impulse" (In Situ, 1991)
  • with Evan Parker on "Joe McPhee, Evan Parker, Daunik Lazro" (Vand'Oeuvre, 1996) 
  • Raymond Boni, Joe McPhee, Daunik Lazro, Claude Tchamitchian - "Next To You" (Emouvance - 2013)
  • as a duo on "The Cerkno Concert" (Klopotec, 2016)
  • Evan Parker, Daunik Lazro & Joe McPhee - "Seven Pieces - Live at Willisau 1995" (Clean Feed, 2016)
  • in the Clifford Thornton Memorial Quartet - "Sweet Oranges" (Not Two, 2018)
  • A pride of lions - No questions no answers (RogueArt, 2022)

Does anyone know / recommend any of these records?

Edited by Rabshakeh

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

• with Evan Parker on "Joe McPhee, Evan Parker, Daunik Lazro" (Vand'Oeuvre, 1996) 
  • Raymond Boni, Joe McPhee, Daunik Lazro, Claude Tchamitchian - "Next To You" (Emouvance - 2013)
  • Evan Parker, Daunik Lazro & Joe McPhee - "Seven Pieces - Live at Willisau 1995" (Clean Feed, 2016)

Sweet Oranges is the only one I have. I like it.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don't have any which actually surprises me. I'd like to hear them though - I remember being very tempted by 'Sweet Oranges' when it came out as much for its recognition of Thornton as anything else

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I have all except The Cerkno ConcertElan, Impulse and Sweet Oranges are the ones I would recommend above any others, both are very, very excellent. Only gave the new RougueArt one an initial spin when it came out, I should make sure to revisit it soon.

On 30/05/2022 at 4:07 PM, mjazzg said:

as does this, not heard it but may remedy that soon

MDYtNDgwNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Now listened to this a couple of times. I think it's one of those where it would have been better to have been in attendance. definitely some longueurs. Some nice passages where the brass get going together. Individually all play well, obviously given the pedigrees. Marsh stands out

5 hours ago, colinmce said:

I have all except The Cerkno ConcertElan, Impulse and Sweet Oranges are the ones I would recommend above any others, both are very, very excellent. Only gave the new RougueArt one an initial spin when it came out, I should make sure to revisit it soon.

The Pride of Lions disc from The Bridge Sessions is extraordinary. Sweet Oranges is close to that. Hoping the new one on Rogue Art comes near the first Pride of Lions recording. Chad Taylor really smokes on the Bridge Session CD. 

I’m still not much for saxophone duos or trios:)

49 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

The Pride of Lions disc from The Bridge Sessions is extraordinary. Sweet Oranges is close to that. Hoping the new one on Rogue Art comes near the first Pride of Lions recording. Chad Taylor really smokes on the Bridge Session CD. 

I’m still not much for saxophone duos or trios:)

I missed out on the Bridge Sessions disc, but hopefully I can turn one up someday. The RogueArt is a slow burner.

18 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Momentum 5: Stammer (triptych) #132 / 500

I love this recording. Fascinating from all perspectives. Some of the previous Momentum releases are also great / especially the 2 & 3 combo double CD. All of these are very abstract and do a great job mixing electronics into KV’s music. Like the best of the Territory band recordings. Vandermark is often criticized but within his huge discography are many gems. Company Switch is the one i think of from the Territory Band. His Resonance Ensemble has a few great records as well. His latest large group’s recording “Entr’Acte” is also tremendous. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 1:08 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

I love this recording. Fascinating from all perspectives. Some of the previous Momentum releases are also great / especially the 2 & 3 combo double CD. All of these are very abstract and do a great job mixing electronics into KV’s music. Like the best of the Territory band recordings. Vandermark is often criticized but within his huge discography are many gems. Company Switch is the one i think of from the Territory Band. His Resonance Ensemble has a few great records as well. His latest large group’s recording “Entr’Acte” is also tremendous. 

Listening again to Stammer. This is an incredible recording. Mars & KV are a great combo and all of the amazing collage of electronics and voices is mind bending. Great drumming. Those who are still pigeonholing Vandermark might think about taking a current listen. No one is making music that is anything like this. 

On 6/8/2022 at 4:38 PM, colinmce said:

I missed out on the Bridge Sessions disc, but hopefully I can turn one up someday. The RogueArt is a slow burner.

Picked up the newer Pride of Lions on Rogue Art on 6/22 @ Vision Fest. Wonderful first spin. 

Recent release pickups from Squidco that I have been listening to this week:

Francois Houle & Marco Von Orelli - Make That Flight (ezz-thetics): a conscious extrapolation on the Carter/Bradford duet recordings, very well done, no easy paths taken

gabby fluke-mogul - Love Songs (Relative Pitch): I've read some rather overheated assessments of their music that ignore the long history of work on stringed instruments in the history of free improvisation, but they make a valid and passionate intervention in the continuum. I'm enjoying this one more than the debut CD

Cecil Taylor - Respiration (Fundacja Słuchaj!): I don't need to put the hard sell on this. A massively important release

Dave Rempis/Joshua Abrams/Avreeyal Ra + Jim Baker - Scylla (Aerophonic): I have a lot of backfilling to do on the Aerophonic catalogue after having dropped out after the first few years of releases, but I figured this was a good place to start, and is very much inspiring me towards getting more. Captivating. 

Dan Clucas/Kyle Motl/Nathan Hubbard - Daydream & Halting (FMR) - Dan Clucas is one of the far too few improvisors on trumpet & coronet on the scene. He plays the latter on this, as well as violin and moxeno. This is very much in the sweet spot for this music and I can't recommend it enough. 

Thanks for the detailed write ups both. Lots to look into. Sad that RogueArt is still not doing downloads as its catalogue just looks better by the day.

4 hours ago, colinmce said:

the Carter/Bradford duet recordings

Which duet recording(s) are you thinking of here? I have a lot of their work together in groups but not sure about duets.

45 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks for the detailed write ups both. Lots to look into. Sad that RogueArt is still not doing downloads as its catalogue just looks better by the day.

Which duet recording(s) are you thinking of here? I have a lot of their work together in groups but not sure about duets.

Tandem, on Emanem. Released initially as two volumes, and then together as a double CD several years ago. It’s extraordinary music.  

On 6/13/2022 at 10:08 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Vandermark is often criticized but within his huge discography are many gems.

He’s the David Murray of his generation! I think the criticism of “he records too much” becomes less salient once the overhype fades into distant memory and you no longer feel obligated to keep up with every single release

Edited by Guy Berger

20 hours ago, colinmce said:

Recent release pickups from Squidco that I have been listening to this week:

Francois Houle & Marco Von Orelli - Make That Flight (ezz-thetics): a conscious extrapolation on the Carter/Bradford duet recordings, very well done, no easy paths taken

gabby fluke-mogul - Love Songs (Relative Pitch): I've read some rather overheated assessments of their music that ignore the long history of work on stringed instruments in the history of free improvisation, but they make a valid and passionate intervention in the continuum. I'm enjoying this one more than the debut CD

Cecil Taylor - Respiration (Fundacja Słuchaj!): I don't need to put the hard sell on this. A massively important release

Dave Rempis/Joshua Abrams/Avreeyal Ra + Jim Baker - Scylla (Aerophonic): I have a lot of backfilling to do on the Aerophonic catalogue after having dropped out after the first few years of releases, but I figured this was a good place to start, and is very much inspiring me towards getting more. Captivating. 

Dan Clucas/Kyle Motl/Nathan Hubbard - Daydream & Halting (FMR) - Dan Clucas is one of the far too few improvisors on trumpet & coronet on the scene. He plays the latter on this, as well as violin and moxeno. This is very much in the sweet spot for this music and I can't recommend it enough. 

Thanks for this post. 

Never listened to most artists listed. 

So now playing: 

NS01NjczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Recorded in '02, released in '05 with Brian Walsh, Michael Ibarra, Rich West & Noah Phillips. In line with the Carter/Bradford discussion above, track 2 "You Say" is parenthetically dedicated to Bradford.