Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

14 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

He’s the David Murray of his generation! I think the criticism of “he records too much” becomes less salient once the overhype fades into distant memory and you no longer feel obligated to keep up with every single release

Plus I’ve learned which of his releases/projects are of interest to me. I never liked the Vandermark 5 or his small form improvisations. Neither were or are his strength. He’s a great organizer of sounds and people although there is little humor or levity in his music. But he certainly combines various instruments and modes as well or more uniquely than anyone else I know of who is from the “jazz” tradition. Some of those large ensemble recordings are filled with some real gems. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/30/2022 at 10:56 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Don’t forget Mad Dogs & Mad Dogs on the Loose / those earlier boxes feature the New Orchestra which has older more established musicians like Evan Parker, Paul Lytton & Mats Gustafsson, etc. Agusti Fernandez is on On The Loose & the 2 later boxes. 

yeah those are fun.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:53 AM, Dub Modal said:

Thanks for this post. 

Never listened to most artists listed. 

So now playing: 

NS01NjczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Recorded in '02, released in '05 with Brian Walsh, Michael Ibarra, Rich West & Noah Phillips. In line with the Carter/Bradford discussion above, track 2 "You Say" is parenthetically dedicated to Bradford. 

Brian Walsh is a beast. I’ve seen him in a few different settings and he always impresses. 

On 6/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, Dub Modal said:

Thanks for this post. 

Never listened to most artists listed. 

So now playing: 

NS01NjczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Recorded in '02, released in '05 with Brian Walsh, Michael Ibarra, Rich West & Noah Phillips. In line with the Carter/Bradford discussion above, track 2 "You Say" is parenthetically dedicated to Bradford. 

Listening to this now. It's very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Another round of FMP CD reissues from CvsD coming shortly:

-Hans Reichel - Bonobo Beach
-Steve Lacy/Evan Parker - Chirps
-Georg Graewe - New Movements
-Georg Graewe - Pink Pong

The first two were already issued on CD by FMP back in the day, but glad to see the Graewe albums finally re-emerge.

• 1 month later...

Lots of GREAT stuff available and I’m limiting my purchases to select CD releases

the 4 Playfield recordings are amazing with Daniel Carter quieting leading ethereal freely improvised music with a fine drummer, singer, another horn and 2 guitars. I’ve been taken.

Among others the John Dikeman quartet with Pat Thomas, Edwards & Noble is blazing. From Cafe Oto on 2/24/2019

577 records for all of the above. 

Look for the 2 large ensemble releases on Fundacja SLUCHAJ. One with some of the older Dutch & Italians, Soundscapes 3, the other from the Samo Salomon Freequestra. The latter is especially incredible. More good ones depending on one’s taste from this amazing label.  

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Lots of GREAT stuff available and I’m limiting my purchases to select CD releases

the 4 Playfield recordings are amazing with Daniel Carter quieting leading ethereal freely improvised music with a fine drummer, singer, another horn and 2 guitars. I’ve been taken.

Among others the John Dikeman quartet with Pat Thomas, Edwards & Noble is blazing. From Cafe Oto on 2/24/2019

577 records for all of the above. 

Look for the 2 large ensemble releases on Fundacja SLUCHAJ. One with some of the older Dutch & Italians, Soundscapes 3, the other from the Samo Salomon Freequestra. The latter is especially incredible. More good ones depending on one’s taste from this amazing label.  

Thanks. Will check these out. 

Which of the Playfields have you enjoyed the most?

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks. Will check these out. 

Which of the Playfields have you enjoyed the most?

The last one might be the best. They are all sui generis to any other music. As I’ve mentioned before I’m not a big fan of Carter’s very subdued playing and his seemingly rote switching from one horn to another but this stuff is captivating.

another nice one:

Room with no name 
Luis Vicente on trumpet, Seppe Gebruers on piano & Onno Govaert on drums 

30:57

18:47

recorded live on 7/10/2019

very special sound quality on this one / lots of space 

Fundacja SLUCHAJ

Edited by Steve Reynolds

41 minutes ago, colinmce said:

The upcoming FS batch is very promising:

Crispell/Fonda/Sorgen
Graewe/Lonberg-Holm/Gratkowski
Futterman solo
Futterman/Hal Russell 3xCD

Not a Futterman fan

I’ll buy the second disc. I’ll also probably get the recent release with Lonberg-Holm, Steve Swell, Ben Stapp & Marco Colona although I normally far more prefer longer pieces that little mini improvs. 

One of the previous sets of recordings back much more interesting to me. I mentioned 3 of them above but add Substantial Myths. Quartet session with unfamiliar players to me save for John Edwards. Takes a bit to get going but it evolves into drony wonderment through the second half of the improvisation. Why I buy so many of these releases. 

That FS selection left me a bit cool I have to say, all a bit predictable.  Not a great Futterman and and have more Crispell releases than I have time to listen to. Hal Russell is always worth a listen though.

I bought 'Substantial Myths' for Gordoa who impressed me elsewhere. I wasn't overwhelmed by it I have to say. Maybe requires another listen.

I find myself increasingly thinking that I now react to improv best heard live as over the years I have amassed so many recordings that few of the new ones break much new ground. 

26 minutes ago, colinmce said:

Futterman is an acquired taste, and a little can go a long way.  

I agree. Of Futterman's, I like this one with Jimmy Lyons: https://www.discogs.com/release/4213464-Joel-Futtermann-Jimmy-Lyons-2-Robert-Adkins-In-Between-Positions-A-Trio-In-Eight-Movements .

Ni04Nzc5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Have not heard that Silkheart, will check it out on Spotify.  

Edited by Д.Д.

6 hours ago, Clunky said:

Olie Brice------Trio/Octet Fire Hills-------(West Hill Records)

New double CD from one of our number. Great sound from Alex Bonney. First spin of the trio disc suggests this'll be one to return to.

In my Bandcamp cart 

Not that new but just have to say that the 3 CD set from AMM Unintended Legacy is beyond incredible. These 3 concerts from December 2015 thru June 2016 sound great and hearing Rowe once again with Tilbury & Prevost is priceless for me. I’ve come back to this set numerous times since I bought it maybe 18 months ago. The long set from December (65 minutes) is especially dynamic. As expected Prevost plays in the manner that he did on Fine - no standard drums, almost all cymbals and drony scratches. As always there is nothing in this world remotely like this trio version of AMM. Without Rowe it was never the same and it’s pretty incredible that Rowe & Prevost dropped their little tiff and even appeared together a short time ago at Cafe Oto despite Rowe’s declining health. Too bad Tilbury was not able (health?) to appear. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 14/09/2022 at 10:56 AM, Clunky said:

Olie Brice------Trio/Octet Fire Hills-------(West Hill Records)

New double CD from one of our number. Great sound from Alex Bonney. First spin of the trio disc suggests this'll be one to return to.

First listen to this and it's excellent.  The trio of Brice, Challenger and Glaser has three of my favourite players of their generation, I think (maybe they could add Rachel Musson and Percy Pursglove  and make it a quintet of my favourites...).  Really pissed off I had to miss the Oto gig