Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, there are very few, if any, contemporary artists that are universally loved but i find Moran in particular gets the cold shoulder from the jazz internet massive quite a bit. I rate him pretty highly. I really dig his flavour; it's distinctive and it's instantly recognisable. It's been three years since Ten... i'd love to see another leader date from him.

Will have to check out Modernistic by the way...

I picked up the Trio 3 CD with Jason Moran @ the Trio 3 show with Vijay Iyer!!

Please share thoughts on the CD when you're ready.

will do. I've only listened once through so I'm not ready to comment as of yet

Did you see my brief comments on the 8/10 set @ Birdland?

No, I missed that.

I have almost ordered from Rogue so many times, but get sticker shock once I view my cart. I wish their CDs were more affordable.

Hang on, you are in Wilmington, NC? Home of squidco?

They are 15.95 single, 22.95 double there. Quite reasonable I think.

C

I agree about Rogue Art prices but with the recent rise in postage costs, seemingly worldwide, they are now more competitive with their postage inc. pricing. Until the recent postage hike it was actually cheaper for me to buy them from the US and re-import them to Europe - crazy really

What I'd give to live within touching distance of Squidco - always get great service from them and a terrific selection. Thinking again, I'm not sure I could afford to live in touching distance of them.

Listening now to a very impressive release on RA - Josh Abrams quartet 'Unknown known'

I know what you mean mjazzg. He moved to town about five years ago right around the time we were starting our family. My interest in all things squidco took a back seat for obvious reasons. In the past few months, I've been reintroducing myself to a lot of music I just didn't have the energy for and am looking forward to digging back in to the incredible resource!

I'm really enjoying these two new releases:

okl_okl_38518.jpg

Mazolewski Gonzalez Quintet - Shaman (ForTune)

Dennis Gonzalez - trumpet, cornet, mouth percussion, voices; Wojtek Mazolewski - bass, voices;
Marek Pospieszalski - tenor saxophone, alto clarinet; Joanna Duda - piano; Jerzy Rogiewicz - drums, percussion.

format65042.jpg

Samuel Blaser Consort in Motion - A Mirror To Machaut (Songlines)

Samuel Blaser - trombone; Joachim Badenhorst - tenor saxophone, Bb & bass clarinet;

Russ Lossing - piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzer; Drew Gress - bass; Gerry Hemingway - drums.

Edited by sonnymax

Have just seen that there is a new Claudia Quintet album coming out on September 24th. John Hollenbeck is one of my favourite artists, absolutely cannot wait for this.

http://www.amazon.com/September-The-Claudia-Quintet/dp/B00E334JAW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzQCVpb3eqg

edit to add video

Edited by xybert

As a recent convert, I'm looking forward to Mary Halvorson's upcoming release:

51gXZjxol3L.jpg

Mary Halvorson Septet - Illusionary Sea (Firehouse 12)

Mary Halvorson, guitar; Jonathan Finlayson, trumpet; Jacob Garchik, trombone;

Jon Irabagon, alto sax; Ingrid Laubrock, tenor sax; John Hébert, bass; Ches Smith, drums.

51gXZjxol3L.jpg

Jon Irabagon, alto sax; Ingrid Laubrock, tenor sax; John Hébert, bass; Ches Smith, drums.

thanks for posting this, I'm with you on the anticipation of this.

I've enjoyed all of her previous leader discs and find that I enjoy the vast majority of other dates in which she is involved. Having bought many releases because of her presence I then experienced a period of Halvorsen-overload but listening to Laubrock's first Anti-House yesterday made me realise that that phase was well and truly over. Bring on the new release

51gXZjxol3L.jpg

thanks for posting this, I'm with you on the anticipation of this.

I've enjoyed all of her previous leader discs and find that I enjoy the vast majority of other dates in which she is involved. Having bought many releases because of her presence I then experienced a period of Halvorsen-overload but listening to Laubrock's first Anti-House yesterday made me realise that that phase was well and truly over. Bring on the new release

Looks good.

Mary will be playing at The Outpost in Albuquerque in Dec.. Looking forward to that.

51gXZjxol3L.jpg

Apart from the music, that's a lovely cover. Very 50's.