Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

I'm really enjoying these two new releases:

okl_okl_38518.jpg

Mazolewski Gonzalez Quintet - Shaman (ForTune)

Dennis Gonzalez - trumpet, cornet, mouth percussion, voices; Wojtek Mazolewski - bass, voices;

Marek Pospieszalski - tenor saxophone, alto clarinet; Joanna Duda - piano; Jerzy Rogiewicz - drums, percussion.

format65042.jpg

Samuel Blaser Consort in Motion - A Mirror To Machaut (Songlines)

Samuel Blaser - trombone; Joachim Badenhorst - tenor saxophone, Bb & bass clarinet;

Russ Lossing - piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzer; Drew Gress - bass; Gerry Hemingway - drums.

These look like must-haves, thanks. The Consort album on Kind of Blue with Paul Motian is a minor masterpiece. I can think of no better ascendant to his chair than Hemingway.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really enjoying these two new releases:

okl_okl_38518.jpg

Mazolewski Gonzalez Quintet - Shaman (ForTune)

Dennis Gonzalez - trumpet, cornet, mouth percussion, voices; Wojtek Mazolewski - bass, voices;

Marek Pospieszalski - tenor saxophone, alto clarinet; Joanna Duda - piano; Jerzy Rogiewicz - drums, percussion.

format65042.jpg

Samuel Blaser Consort in Motion - A Mirror To Machaut (Songlines)

Samuel Blaser - trombone; Joachim Badenhorst - tenor saxophone, Bb & bass clarinet;

Russ Lossing - piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzer; Drew Gress - bass; Gerry Hemingway - drums.

These look like must-haves, thanks. The Consort album on Kind of Blue with Paul Motian is a minor masterpiece. I can think of no better ascendant to his chair than Hemingway.

I agree about the previous Consort album - very arresting. Another album's worth of Early Music inspired/covered/interpreted music seems alright by me. I like the idea of the additional horn too as the only barrier to my complete enjoyment of the previous album was the slightly restricted sound palate and I like Badenhorst as a player.

just found this - Blaser/Machaut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZzLH4c2N0

definitely approve of the extra horn

Edited by mjazzg

thanks for posting this, I'm with you on the anticipation of this.

I've enjoyed all of her previous leader discs and find that I enjoy the vast majority of other dates in which she is involved. Having bought many releases because of her presence I then experienced a period of Halvorsen-overload but listening to Laubrock's first Anti-House yesterday made me realise that that phase was well and truly over. Bring on the new release

I experienced similar Halvorson-fatigue... she appears on the albums of so many artists that i dig but her sound is so dominant that she is almost a co-leader by default. I rate her very highly but I was starting to go off her leader dates too... would put on an album and take it straight off... forced myself to put on Bending Bridges last night though and it was just such a pleasure being immersed in her sound world. I've cleansed my palate on a Jeremy Pelt bender recently so i'm more than ready for something a bit more Halvorson-esque.

No, I am in Connecticut. No good stores near me. But I love squidco for their prices ans selection. Plus ridiculously cheap shipping. I wish they were near me!

Yes I am! It has been difficult to get there between 12 and 6 when I'm in the mood for Rogue etc. these past few years. I will be making more of an effort here now. Are you in Wilmington?

Trio 3 + Jason Moran: Refraction - Breakin' Glass

61D1JfICpML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This album was discussed earlier in this thread. I've had it for a couple of days now and have given it a few spins. I really like it, think it's excellent. I like Jason Moran's playing as a sideman on the Charles Lloyd albums but all ECM bashing aside he definitely sounds... you just get less of that full bodied Jason Moran flavour. On Refraction - Breakin' Glass he is in full effect, it sounds like Jason Moran. For fans that are thinking of picking this up but are on the fence, on this occasion the amazon samples will give you a pretty good idea of what you're in for. They don't tell the full story but they are a pretty good trailer. It's a very well rounded album, too. Highly satisfying. I don't want to talk it up too much and i am still on early listens but this could be a bit of a classic. At least, i think it's a must have for Moran fans.

JD Allen - Grace

51NGgYfEQyL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'm really late to the party with regards to JD Allen, have only just gotten in to his music in the last couple of months. Even as a JD Allen newbie I thought that Eldar Djangirov was an odd choice of pianist for Allen, let alone for his first non trio album in a while. I don't think i'll be rushing out to buy Eldar Djangirov's leader albums just yet but i must say he really shines here. I'm sure if there was blindfold test many people would have their interest piqued as to who the pianist was. Dezron Douglas on bass and Jonathan Barber on drums are relative unknowns, but man do they shine here, bringing in some swing at just the right times. This is definitely free bop of the slightly meandering, not of all that memorable theme type but i've found it really engaging in an unexplainable way. A surprise hit, for me; i've been spinning this a lot.

Trio 3 + Jason Moran: Refraction - Breakin' Glass

61D1JfICpML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This album was discussed earlier in this thread. I've had it for a couple of days now and have given it a few spins. I really like it, think it's excellent. I like Jason Moran's playing as a sideman on the Charles Lloyd albums but all ECM bashing aside he definitely sounds... you just get less of that full bodied Jason Moran flavour. On Refraction - Breakin' Glass he is in full effect, it sounds like Jason Moran. For fans that are thinking of picking this up but are on the fence, on this occasion the amazon samples will give you a pretty good idea of what you're in for. They don't tell the full story but they are a pretty good trailer. It's a very well rounded album, too. Highly satisfying. I don't want to talk it up too much and i am still on early listens but this could be a bit of a classic. At least, i think it's a must have for Moran fans.

On the way to me. Looking forward to it.

JD Allen - Grace

51NGgYfEQyL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'm really late to the party with regards to JD Allen, have only just gotten in to his music in the last couple of months. Even as a JD Allen newbie I thought that Eldar Djangirov was an odd choice of pianist for Allen, let alone for his first non trio album in a while. I don't think i'll be rushing out to buy Eldar Djangirov's leader albums just yet but i must say he really shines here. I'm sure if there was blindfold test many people would have their interest piqued as to who the pianist was. Dezron Douglas on bass and Jonathan Barber on drums are relative unknowns, but man do they shine here, bringing in some swing at just the right times. This is definitely free bop of the slightly meandering, not of all that memorable theme type but i've found it really engaging in an unexplainable way. A surprise hit, for me; i've been spinning this a lot.

Haven't heard this one, but Matador & The Bull is a motherfucker.

Tim Berne's Snakeoil - Shadow Man is out on ECM on 9/30. Definitely one of my more anticipated releases ...i

with you on that. I'd missed that on my usual trawl of upcoming ECMs - maybe US is getting it sooner (I'm off to check)

Sweepstake to follow on how many comments before the label is criticised. I wonder whether Mr B will be required to visit again to counter the naysayers.

edit to add 7/10 realease UK. pre-ordered mine

Edited by mjazzg

Like everyone of these kind of ECM releases....all those involved will play completely different than in their normal way of playing when not recording for ECM It's all about the Benjamins.

As in, it might be Tim Berne, et al playing, but it's not really Tim Berne, et al playing.

Edited by Blue Train

Like everyone of these kind of ECM releases....all those involved will play completely different than in their normal way of playing when not recording for ECM It's all about the Benjamins.

As in, it might be Tim Berne, et al playing, but it's not really Tim Berne, et al playing.

I don't know man... i remember listening to an interview with Tim Berne aroud the time the first Snakeoil album came out where he talked about working with Eicher/ECM and how yes, he did tailor the sound to take advantage of the ECM aesthetic (or something along those lines). In other words no one held a gun to his head and he was really happy with the collaboration and resulting recording. He seems like a really straight up guy, didn't sound like he was talking shit although he might have been.

I don't know man... i remember listening to an interview with Tim Berne aroud the time the first Snakeoil album came out where he talked about working with Eicher/ECM and how yes, he did tailor the sound to take advantage of the ECM aesthetic (or something along those lines). In other words no one held a gun to his head and he was really happy with the collaboration and resulting recording. He seems like a really straight up guy, didn't sound like he was talking shit although he might have been.

As in, all about the Benjamins. Of course, he was happy.

Edited by Blue Train

IIRC Mr Berne posted here when Snake Oil was accused of much the same thing. He vehemently denied as far as I recall being under any pressure from ECM to smooth out his music to fit the label.