Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

Cross posting from the what I am listening to

bac8ef553e7f9a197887c454dd47bf79.jpg

aka, Steve Reynolds....stat!

Who is Ramon Lopez?

Btw listening now again to disc 4 of Mad Dogs box with Parker Guy Lytton with Fernandez

Mind bending

Best Evan Parker tenor on record in quite some time - the ending to the first 24 minute section is beyond what should be possible. Even more than his standard casual brilliance.

Barry Guy is HUGE on that Mad Dogs set. I was definitely impressed.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess this has been out some months now.

513jfSMl0zL._SX400_.jpg

Intense and moody. Lovely and rich concert recording.

I saw Ban and Maneri with Evan Parker at the Parker residency at The Stone in NYC in September. Very fine trio performance.

Great show. Next time we should say hello

Absolutely! I went to all the sets during the week, so we probably rubbed shoulders at some point. Too bad we didn't get a chance to talk.

The new Claudia Quintet CD, September, left me a little cold, but I need to listen to it more.

Good call. FWIW it left me cold on the first couple of listens but it's really grown on me now and it keeps getting better. I skip the track with the samples from the old-timey political rally though; not a bad track but it becomes tedious on repeated listens. Having broadcast recordings from the 1930s popping up kind of breaks the immersion as well, i find.

The new Claudia Quintet CD, September, left me a little cold, but I need to listen to it more.

Good call. FWIW it left me cold on the first couple of listens but it's really grown on me now and it keeps getting better. I skip the track with the samples from the old-timey political rally though; not a bad track but it becomes tedious on repeated listens. Having broadcast recordings from the 1930s popping up kind of breaks the immersion as well, i find.

That track with the speech samples was tedious the first time!

Ha, it does bring the album to a bit of a grinding halt. I'm not usually a fan of "if you take out this track and play the first track last and the last track first it's so much better!" type shenanigans but yeah I've found i enjoy this album a lot more if i skip the track in question, at least while it's still growing on me.

Ha, it does bring the album to a bit of a grinding halt. I'm not usually a fan of "if you take out this track and play the first track last and the last track first it's so much better!" type shenanigans but yeah I've found i enjoy this album a lot more if i skip the track in question, at least while it's still growing on me.

I heard them perform music from this recording live in October. I had a similar reaction to the track with Roosevelt's speach. I had never previously warmed up to Claudia Quintet and I can't say this performance made me a fan - however I did find some things to appreciate. This past weekend I found a copy of "September" for $1, so I figured there was no risk and picked it up.

I heard them perform music from this recording live in October. I had a similar reaction to the track with Roosevelt's speach. I had never previously warmed up to Claudia Quintet and I can't say this performance made me a fan - however I did find some things to appreciate. This past weekend I found a copy of "September" for $1, so I figured there was no risk and picked it up.

$1.00 is a steal!

The only one I know by Claudia Q is "Royal Toast" , I recall liking this one quite a bit, no idea whether this is representative of their oeuvre.

I really dig Royal Toast... it kind of is and isn't representative of their sound. On face value CQ albums sound quite similar but on closer inspection they each have quite a distinctive flavour. I'm a huge John Hollenbeck fan, and i've found the Claudia Quintet to be frustratingly inaccessible at times. Some Hollenbeck stuff, for example Eternal Interlude, it's like he is catering to the audience to a certain extent: there are almost always these big moments where you are rewarded, the songs almost always 'pay off', bigtime. It's just so epic and satisfying. With the Claudia Quintet, it's almost like they are deliberately being obscure at times, teasing the listener in a way. It's perfectly happy to build you up and leave you hanging. Anyway, that's my $0.02.

The latest by Mike Reed's People, Places, Things is out. It features appearances by Ab Baars, Michael Moore, Eric Boeren, and several other Dutch improvisers. Should be a blast, the core quartet is really stellar.

http://www.dustygroove.com/item/680282

I've enjoyed all Reed's previous albums so looking foreard to hearing this somehow (intl shipping costs permitting)

Edit: to add that having read more about it I've got my order in - sounds like an intriguing departure.

Edited by mjazzg