Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everything for Somebody, also on Singlespeed, is also worth checking out. There's a song from it on the label's website. Not a leader date as such but Cylinder on Clean Feed with Darren Johnston, Lisa Mezzacappa and Kjell Nordeson is also well worth checking out.

I checked out "Everything for Somebody" on Spotify enjoyed it. Thanks. Might buy list.

Everything for Somebody, also on Singlespeed, is also worth checking out. There's a song from it on the label's website. Not a leader date as such but Cylinder on Clean Feed with Darren Johnston, Lisa Mezzacappa and Kjell Nordeson is also well worth checking out.

I checked out "Everything for Somebody" on Spotify enjoyed it. Thanks. Might buy list.

Anything with Darren Johnston is worth consideration IMO.

Agreed. Love Darren Johnston. There's so many genuinely amazing trumpet players out there of, i guess, his generation and if i was to do a list of my favourites he would definitely be on it.

Some new stuff from Emanem coming up, including a 2xCD reissue combining the Carter-Bradford duets, some Isrka 1903 & Lacy's Avignon & After 2 with all unreleased material.

Martin Davidson is also now selling Emanem & psi titles through Amazon.

Thanks, Colin! I'll be ordering directly from Mr. Davidson - more profit for him, I assume, and his shipping is incredibly fast from Spain to the US.

Agreed. Love Darren Johnston. There's so many genuinely amazing trumpet players out there of, i guess, his generation and if i was to do a list of my favourites he would definitely be on it.

Hey, xybert--I don't think we've actually met (unless we've somehow met in person), because I haven't been on this board in nearly a year--but I'd be curious to hear how you came across these guys. They're all in my regular axis--Aram is a fantastic player whom I've collaborated with now and again (and whose projects are actually far more diverse and aggressively experimental than what you'll often hear on record), and Darren is a fairly inspirational, really omnivorous man about town. The Bay Area is virtually a press vacuum, though, so unless you got to this music via the Chicago connection, I'm really surprised it's gotten to you at all.

Hey, xybert--I don't think we've actually met (unless we've somehow met in person), because I haven't been on this board in nearly a year--but I'd be curious to hear how you came across these guys. They're all in my regular axis--Aram is a fantastic player whom I've collaborated with now and again (and whose projects are actually far more diverse and aggressively experimental than what you'll often hear on record), and Darren is a fairly inspirational, really omnivorous man about town. The Bay Area is virtually a press vacuum, though, so unless you got to this music via the Chicago connection, I'm really surprised it's gotten to you at all.

Hi ep1str0phy, I can't remember exactly where i first came across Darren Johnston, i do know that The Edge of the Forest was one of the first CDs that i ever ordered directly from Clean Feed. I can't remember what piqued my interest but i probably just listened to the samples and liked them. I loved it, really thought that Johnston had something and sort of semi followed him from there. The funny thing is when Cylinder came out i passed on it for some reason, although it did get wish listed... later on i picked up The Big Lift, dug it, but still didn't go back for Cylinder... with Aram Shelton, i stumbled across the Soundcloud posting of Anticipation from Everything For Somebody and it was love at first hearing... picked up EFS and the Arrive album, There Was, on Clean Feed and really, really dug them both... it was only then that i clicked that Cylinder featured both Johnston and Shelton and it became a no brainer to say the least...

Anyway, that's my story. They both have albums on Delmark and Clean Feed so they're not completely invisible i guess... although yeah they're not as well known as i think they deserve to be. I rate both Johnston and Shelton very highly, both are on my mental watch list. I know it's tough out there for musicians but Johnston and Shelton are two guys that i particularly fear ever stopping. I'm pretty sure we haven't met before so nice meeting you by the way. I gather that you're a musician; best wishes. Cheers.

back to new releases....

this is vinyl only I think

116402640.jpg

Keith Tippett/Paul Rogers/Mchel Pilz/Jean-Noel Cognard in quartet and other combinations across 4LPs

released on Bloc Thyristors

You are responsible for my first vinyl order in a quarter of a century, Mark!

Much as I hate the whole 'vinyl only' exclusivity, my Keith Tippett fixation would not let this pass! Will go straight to CD-R on arrival.

Thanks for bringing it up.

back to new releases....

116402640.jpg

Keith Tippett/Paul Rogers/Mchel Pilz/Jean-Noel Cognard in quartet and other combinations across 4LPs

Much as I hate the whole 'vinyl only' exclusivity, my Keith Tippett fixation would not let this pass! Will go straight to CD-R on arrival.

Heavens, I'm not sure I can shoulder the responsibility....you'll be buying a turntable next, ditching the beloved MP3 and buying opera box sets before you know it!

I don't think you'll be disappointed by this - KT and the others are all on top form

Believe it or not, I actually have a turntable! Bought it 10 years back after my Rega gave up the ghost. A cheap Pro-ject thing (that sounds better than anything I owned before the Rega) that gets used for playing old LPs (usually to CD-r them).

No danger of this being more than a functional necessity. I was traumatised by vinyl - I still hear the skips in the discs I once had on vinyl and now have in digital form!

back to new releases....

116402640.jpg

Heavens, I'm not sure I can shoulder the responsibility....you'll be buying a turntable next, ditching the beloved MP3 and buying opera box sets before you know it!

I don't think you'll be disappointed by this - KT and the others are all on top form

back to new releases....

116402640.jpg

Agreed it's great music, wonderfully recorded, sounds phenomenal. Play loud ( or not at all).

Anybody know anything about James Brandon Lewis?

http://www.dustygroove.com/item/685545

I would normally dismiss it given the label, cover, etc. but the presence of William Parker & Gerald Cleaver has me intrigued.

Aftab posted it in the 'What are you listening to?' thread... caught my eye and i regret not asking him about it at the time... hopefully he'll see this post and chime in...

Irabagon/Helias/Altschul - It Takes All Kinds (Jazzwerkstatt)

first review I've seen here

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2014/02/cd-review-jon-irabagon-trio-it-takes.html

That sort of review - by shallow stylistic comparison - kills things for me. Makes me disbelieve the whole sector.

He did drop about 25 names

In any event, I liked the first trio disc with Fonda in place of Helias and they were very good live. The trio with Fonda is playing next week in NYC and I soul like to see them but it looks like its a no go.....

Irabagon/Helias/Altschul - It Takes All Kinds (Jazzwerkstatt)

first review I've seen here

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2014/02/cd-review-jon-irabagon-trio-it-takes.html

That sort of review - by shallow stylistic comparison - kills things for me. Makes me disbelieve the whole sector.

He did drop about 25 names

In any event, I liked the first trio disc with Fonda in place of Helias and they were very good live. The trio with Fonda is playing next week in NYC and I soul like to see them but it looks like its a no go.....

I've tried to like Irabagon's playing, but really just can't do it. I've seen him live in different settings, and listened to a couple of his discs, and he just does not impress me (so what, right?). There is something diffident about his playing, and he does not appear to me to be that proficient an improvisor. Oh well, different strokes.

Anybody know anything about James Brandon Lewis?

http://www.dustygroove.com/item/685545

I would normally dismiss it given the label, cover, etc. but the presence of William Parker & Gerald Cleaver has me intrigued.

Aftab posted it in the 'What are you listening to?' thread... caught my eye and i regret not asking him about it at the time... hopefully he'll see this post and chime in...

I just listened to this one yesterday on Rhapsody. I enjoyed it a lot. Parker and Cleaver are as good as you would normally expect, but Lewis is clearly the leader and focus on the recording. I was impressed and plan to keep listening to him.