Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evans was fine in Rocket Science with Evan Parker, in fact he was great (talking about the live shows in NYC, but the CD is fine too). When Evans has a solid group around him, his playing can be impressive. In his solo work, he is most often over the top, or even with such pet groups as Pulverize the Sound, where it is all about massive technique and "epater les bourgeois." The guy is blessed with massive technique, which can be a show-stopper, but alas, not much soul or feeling. Just my take after seeing him fairly often over the last several years. I used to compare Evans and Wooley as, respectively, contemporary counterparts of Dizzy Gillespie and Miles, that old argument over technique and soul/mood.

220.jpg

Intakt Records. USA Release date: February 20, 2014

That trio of french players play on some of my favourite releases from a few years ago. Intrigued and excited to hear them with Takase

Evans was fine in Rocket Science with Evan Parker, in fact he was great (talking about the live shows in NYC, but the CD is fine too). When Evans has a solid group around him, his playing can be impressive. In his solo work, he is most often over the top, or even with such pet groups as Pulverize the Sound, where it is all about massive technique and "epater les bourgeois." The guy is blessed with massive technique, which can be a show-stopper, but alas, not much soul or feeling. Just my take after seeing him fairly often over the last several years. I used to compare Evans and Wooley as, respectively, contemporary counterparts of Dizzy Gillespie and Miles, that old argument over technique and soul/mood.

Interesting to hear that's been your live experience, Leeway. You pretty much sum up my disc experience of Evans (I've actually avoided the opportunity to see him live) as when I've enjoyed his contributions it's been with Evan's Electro-Acoustic Ensemble or his own release 'Ghosts'. Wooley I enjoy in every context I've heard him.

I feel like i've pulled this out before when we've wrestled with Irabagon and Evans but my 2 cents FWIW: Irabagon i can take or leave, neither ruins or makes a date for me although i've never listened to his leader stuff. Evans wise, i really, really dig the jazzier leader stuff i've heard (Live in Lisbon, Ghosts, Zebulon) but i can't stand MOPDTK. Have you guys heard Zebulon? I though it was pretty darn good.

"Zebulon" is pretty good. And Evans is absolutely fine when he is in the mix with guys like Parker, Guy or Lytton, who all can handle anything thrown at them, and who can keep the group dynamics together. Check out "Rocket Science" for more of that. The fact is Evans can do pretty much anything he wants with the trumpet, which is both a virtue and vice. Sometimes amazing, sometimes mere ego-tripping. As for MOPDTK, not my "hot cup" of tea.

I feel like i've pulled this out before when we've wrestled with Irabagon and Evans but my 2 cents FWIW: Irabagon i can take or leave, neither ruins or makes a date for me although i've never listened to his leader stuff. Evans wise, i really, really dig the jazzier leader stuff i've heard (Live in Lisbon, Ghosts, Zebulon) but i can't stand MOPDTK. Have you guys heard Zebulon? I though it was pretty darn good.

This sums up my opinion on both exactly. And as others have stated, Evans is great on Scenes in the House of Music with Parker-Guy-Lytton, and with Parker's electro-acoustic ensemble.

I'm also a bit ambivalent about Evans - like the technique but sometimes there seems to be a sense of floundering for context. The Zebulon disc and group is an interesting - to me at least - case. Reacted very positively when I heard the disc (still do) - but went to hear the trio in person a few months later and somehow they seemed to have rehearsed/performed all the life out of the music. Left with a feeling that unlike some of the great trios of the past which grew their music over time this particular ensemble had said it all at the outset. Maybe there was that difference you get between hearing musicians on their home ground and when they've flown a few thousand miles to become "visiting strangers", or maybe it was just an offish night.

I have very few good words to say about MOPDTK.

I like Irabagon's playing. Heard him with Altschul last year at Roulette.

Yeah, it was a live gig with Fonda and Altschul that that made me notice Irabagon. Before that, I had heard stuff on record, and he didn't make much of an impression. Maybe it's the company that kicked him into higher gear? And Foxy was a fun goof, but not one for a repeat listen.

Rejoice, Leeway, for part 2 of the Roscoe Mitchell/Craig Taborn/Kikanju Baku sessions are out in April.

Also some nice ones from No Business coming up: Max Johnson/Laubrock/Maneri/Fujiwara, Rodrigo Amado Trio w/ Peter Evans & Ajamian/Malaby/Mazurek/Chad Taylor

I've had occasional problems with "skipping" on some of the No Business issues on some (not all) of my playback options.

Rejoice, Leeway, for part 2 of the Roscoe Mitchell/Craig Taborn/Kikanju Baku sessions are out in April.

Also some nice ones from No Business coming up: Max Johnson/Laubrock/Maneri/Fujiwara, Rodrigo Amado Trio w/ Peter Evans & Ajamian/Malaby/Mazurek/Chad Taylor

Hey, I'm practically firing off 21 gun salutes over here over these Roscoe releases! :D That first disc is just great. I can't imagine anything coming along even at thid early date, where there will not be the most serious contender for record of the year. Unless it happens to be Part 2. :Nod:

Hey, I'm practically firing off 21 gun salutes over here over these Roscoe releases! :D That first disc is just great. I can't imagine anything coming along even at thid early date, where there will not be the most serious contender for record of the year. Unless it happens to be Part 2. :Nod:

This is getting me interested. Confession time: i've never been a big Roscoe Mitchell fan, in a 'don't love him, don't hate him' kind of way but also in a 'haven't listened enough to have a legit opinion' kind of way. I like the AEOC enough but no where near as much as i should, and the handful of recordings under his own name that i've heard, other than Sound, have not done much for me. However, other than Sound i don't think i've heard the key recordings and at some point i need to do some proper listening, i just haven't felt a huge urge to go there yet.

Anyway, i'll see how things pan out new release wise, might look at picking this one up.

I've had occasional problems with "skipping" on some of the No Business issues on some (not all) of my playback options.

I had something similar occur on the Heberer LP in one section, more like popping, but that has been my only experience with something like that with the No Business LPs I do have (got to be at least a dozen).

I had something similar occur on the Heberer LP in one section, more like popping, but that has been my only experience with something like that with the No Business LPs I do have (got to be at least a dozen).

I wasn't clear - the problem(s) are with CDs.

Latest releases from Emanem are now available:

STEVE LACY 'Avignon and After - 2' (1972-7) Emanem 5031

NIGEL COOMBES & STEVE BERESFORD "White String's Attached" (1979) Emanem 5032

JOHN CARTER & BOBBY BRADFORD "Tandem (remastered)" (1979/82) Emanem 5204 2-CD set

ISKRA 1903 'South on the Northern' (1988/9) Emanem 5203 2-CD set

EVAN PARKER 'THE TOPOGRAPHY OF THE LUNGS' (1970) psi 06.05

Matthew Shipp has a new trio album coming out on Relative Pitch.

http://www.relativepitchrecords.com/

Also coming out on Relative Pitch sometime in the nearish future, Mary Halvorson's Reverse Blue (w/ Chris Speed, Eivind Opsvik and Tomas Fujiwara). Not sure when it'll be out but it's listed on Halvorson's discography page on her website which is a good place to get a heads up on her upcoming releases. I've been hoping for a Reverse Blue album since digging this clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUlxHLDXr4I. A nice mix of styles.

Edited by xybert

FWIW i ended up listening to the Mitchell/Taborn/Baku album on Spotify and can confirm that it's not really my thing at the moment. The usual 'not a criticism of the music' disclaimers apply, i'll need to revisit it when i'm in a more receptive mood.