Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

A couple: Jason Roebke Octet - High/Red/Center (Delmark) Adasiewicz, Ward, Jackson, Stein, Berman, Bishop, ReedAssif Tsahar/Mark Dresser/Gerry Hemingway - Code Re(a)d (Hopscotch)

listening to the Roebke for the first time - first impressions positive. It sounds just like you'd expect this line-up to sound (which for me is fine). Respect for the past but making music that's definitely now. somewhat like Berman, Stein, Rede in fact all of them seem to have achieved on their own recordings. I'm very impressed by most everything this generation of Chicago players are putting out So am I!!

The consistently high standards they achieve does present the problem of which releases amongst the many to go for. I'm hoping Larry or any other members close to the scene will alert us appropriately.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

xybert, Jass is available as a CD from the label, Yolk. I had no problem ordering from them.

Thank you!

The CD arrive for me yesterday and i thought i'd comment in a FWIW kind of way that this label really offers good value in terms of the physical product: a decent quality digipak for only 12 EUR including international shipping is a steal for me.

xybert, Jass is available as a CD from the label, Yolk. I had no problem ordering from them.

Thank you!

The CD arrive for me yesterday and i thought i'd comment in a FWIW kind of way that this label really offers good value in terms of the physical product: a decent quality digipak for only 12 EUR including international shipping is a steal for me.

I'd add that on the first couple of listens I'm finding this an enjoyable set. For me the rhythm section seems key (unsurprising with Hollenback on board) and it's good to here Blaser 'pushed' to play with such strong rhythm. He still plays those long extended notes occasionally and plays behind the beat a fair bit. But this is the first time I've heard him open up and play 'hot' and whilst he's not Roswell Rudd (who is?) it's interesting to hear in comparison to previous discs.

My initial impression is that the album sounds not disimilar to a Henri Texier date - which is a good thing indeed, in this household

Thank you!

I'd add that on the first couple of listens I'm finding this an enjoyable set. For me the rhythm section seems key (unsurprising with Hollenback on board) and it's good to here Blaser 'pushed' to play with such strong rhythm. He still plays those long extended notes occasionally and plays behind the beat a fair bit. But this is the first time I've heard him open up and play 'hot' and whilst he's not Roswell Rudd (who is?) it's interesting to hear in comparison to previous discs.

My initial impression is that the album sounds not disimilar to a Henri Texier date - which is a good thing indeed, in this household

I'm still on early listens but i agree, an enjoyable album. One thing that i'm finding adds an interesting flavour is the apparent co-lead nature of it. It's not unusual to have different members contributing compositions in a leader/group situation, but somehow this album sounds different... it's not a hodgepodge, there's still something that unifies it and glues it all together, but yeah, interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

The next two from Dave Rempis are available now at his website. A duo LP with Lasse Marhaug and a trio CD with Darren Johnston and Larry Ochs.

His releases from the last year have been cutting a real purple patch. I haven't heard anything as good as the duo with Tim Daisy lately. I can't recommend this stuff enough.

All things going according to plan i'll be getting the trio disc with Darren Johnston a bit further down the line when i have some cash, will probably order the duo disc with Daisy at the same time.

Latest clean feed batch is out; i'm keen on the Revis and the new Lawnmower (feat. Jim Hobbs and Luther Gray) album.

The next two from Dave Rempis are available now at his website. A duo LP with Lasse Marhaug and a trio CD with Darren Johnston and Larry Ochs.

His releases from the last year have been cutting a real purple patch. I haven't heard anything as good as the duo with Tim Daisy lately. I can't recommend this stuff enough.

Ordered the trio CD today.

No turntable, so no LP.

I agree that his first four on Aerophonic were really good.

Ordered the trio CD today.

No turntable, so no LP.

I agree that his first four on Aerophonic were really good.

Got both of these yesterday. Great stuff on first listen. The duo with Marhaug is heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

And for fans of Jason Adasiewicz, of which I know at least colinmce, there's this that was new to me

http://www.veto-records.ch/exchange/

I don't know the label but looks interesting. I had trouble locating a source but ended up getting one direct from the artist

Christoph Erb is a new name to me.

Anybody heard him?

Lots of good people on his releases.

They have a package of all 3 new CDs--these, plus the Yoshihide Sextet-- for £20. I put an order in.

And for fans of Jason Adasiewicz, of which I know at least colinmce, there's this that was new to me

I don't know the label but looks interesting. I had trouble locating a source but ended up getting one direct from the artist

Anybody heard him?

Erb is Swiss, but spends a lot of time in Chicago. His Veto releases have always struck me as being of the "let's get some guys in studio for a few hours and just roll the tape" type of free improv w/o much forethought as to what they were going to do. They're sort of the modern free improv version of '50s blowing sessions albums -- not bad, but certainly no one's best work. Of the Veto releases I've heard the best one was Erb's album w/ Keefe with two bass clarinets and two cellos -- name of it completely escapes me at the moment.

Scott

Anybody heard him?

Erb is Swiss, but spends a lot of time in Chicago. His Veto releases have always struck me as being of the "let's get some guys in studio for a few hours and just roll the tape" type of free improv w/o much forethought as to what they were going to do. They're sort of the modern free improv version of '50s blowing sessions albums -- not bad, but certainly no one's best work. Of the Veto releases I've heard the best one was Erb's album w/ Keefe with two bass clarinets and two cellos -- name of it completely escapes me at the moment.

Scott

Thanks for that input.