Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Penguin guide is also a good recommendation, but it seems pretty hard too find indeed for an affordable amount.

I did order the "As serious as you life", so I just start with that. Babysteps, babysteps, but even they will get you were you want to be eventualy.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, latest drop from Clean Feed is out. I'm semi keen for the new Adam Lane, only thing holding me back is that i dug the last Full Throttle Orchestra album enough at the time but subsequently found it to be dull and always take it off whenever i try to revisit it. Think i'll pull that one out, listen from start to finish to decide whether i want to go another round.

Apart from that, i nearly crapped myself when i saw the Joe Morris Quartet, thinking that it would be the group with Jim Hobbs. It's not, but just as good if not quite as exciting for me is the group with Mat Maneri and co. A must buy.

I have to say that I still like the old Adam Lane album for what it is to me; a fun album. Not something I play late at night, or for intense listening, but a nice l album if I'm in a positive mood. I don't know if I will pull the trigger on this one though as there are so many albums that are higher on my wish list.

From this batch I think the Kullhammar/Aalberg/Zetterberg/Mathisen appeals to me the most, but first I want to pick up the Cene Resnik album from their previous batch (already picked up the great Tamarindo album) together with The Freedom Principle from the Rodrigo Amodo Motion Trio & Peter Evans (on Nobusiness) and The Zoo Keepers House from Jemeel Moondoc.

Too many, not nearly enough time ... just gave a first spin to the Tom Rainey one on Intakt - seems to be pretty good!

That "Obbligato" album got a decidedly mixed reaction among folks I know who consider themselves fans of Rainey (I am). It's an all-standards album, and that seems to have thrown some folks. I haven't heard it myself, but I have a lot of confidence in Rainey's musicianship, so am interested in hearing it. Seems like it passed muster with you on first hearing. Any more thoughts on it, Ubu?

Too many, not nearly enough time ... just gave a first spin to the Tom Rainey one on Intakt - seems to be pretty good!

That "Obbligato" album got a decidedly mixed reaction among folks I know who consider themselves fans of Rainey (I am). It's an all-standards album, and that seems to have thrown some folks. I haven't heard it myself, but I have a lot of confidence in Rainey's musicianship, so am interested in hearing it. Seems like it passed muster with you on first hearing. Any more thoughts on it, Ubu? I might pick it up at the show Friday (Rainey's trio with Mary Halvorsen & Ingrid Laubrock). My fear is that the recording might be too cute and won't hit my sweet spot. Like Leeway I've heard mixed reviews and my sweet spot for Rainey is when there is much groove, improv and good bits of skronk and aggression.

Exactly what I've heard from the trio I'm seeing this Friday. To this point easily my favorite band from this circle of musicians.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

It's a nice group on "Obbligato." Rainey, Laubrock, Alessi, and Gress. I saw Rainey, Laubrock and Alessi in Baltimore (Davis got sick and couldn't play) and it's clear they've formed a solid playing relationship. If they had the CD there, I would have bought it. Anyway, I suppose Rainey wanted to do something different, and I can understand that. Maybe they're taking a leaf from Braxton with a "standards" album.

I've orderd the Pharoah & Underground LP not without a little trepidation but I'm relying on Mazurek's usual high standard quality control.

There's some nice footage of the band at Saalfalden on youtube

I was dubious about this and prepared to punt it to someone else, but it's actually very good.

Thanks Clifford, that makes me feel a bit better about my punt (different meaning over here) on it as I await it's arrival from Portugal. There's always that dread of the 'arranged marriage' ending in tears