Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking of Rainey, just starting to work through this latest release from Braxton. Comprised of four discs, each containing a composition, recorded in New Haven, of course.

Just got through the first composition and so far so good, both musically and sonically. Braxton runs through several horns during the course of the composition and there's a good amount of space, so no fear for those concerned about having two drum kits involved.

I'm a bit disappointed with the new packaging trend though. I had to send the first one back as the spine was crushed and the face had several gouges. While this is called a "boxset" I don't consider something a boxset just because it contains four discs. There's no "box", just thin, easily damaged card-stock that folds open to four panels, each with a plastic tray to hold the disc. Unfortunately, this folded stock comprises the spine so there's little to hold it's structure. Similar to the "box" :rolleyes: for the Miles Fillmore set, but even thinner. Anyhow....

Sound is quite good, an honest representation of the trio with AB center and the two kits left/right.

51%2BtsDk9agL.jpg

Edited by Paradiddle

I've had that Braxton on my short list of CDs to buy, and am not sure myself why I haven't already picked it up. I do think I was a little concerned about how well that two-drum arrangement worked. Not a concern about the drummers themselves but how they would be deployed. Glad to read your positive comment on that aspect of it; that's encouraging.

BTW, welcome to the Board!

I've had that Braxton on my short list of CDs to buy, and am not sure myself why I haven't already picked it up. I do think I was a little concerned about how well that two-drum arrangement worked. Not a concern about the drummers themselves but how they would be deployed. Glad to read your positive comment on that aspect of it; that's encouraging.

Thanks! When I saw there were topics about Berne, Parker etc I just had to join in. :Nod:

I'd highly recommend the Trio set, no worries with the dual drummer scenario, it works beautifully, as it should with those two players. The packaging is secondary but it's good to hear that the "Duets" set is packaged nicely as that's in the queue.

Thanks! When I saw there were topics about Berne, Parker etc I just had to join in. :Nod:

I'd highly recommend the Trio set, no worries with the dual drummer scenario, it works beautifully, as it should with those two players. The packaging is secondary but it's good to hear that the "Duets" set is packaged nicely as that's in the queue.

I placed the Trio order this morning with Amazon, which had it for $37.19, includes free shipping, not a bad price. I'll work around to the duo box eventually. I'm particularly keen on the duos with Katherine Young.

I placed the Trio order this morning with Amazon, which had it for $37.19, includes free shipping, not a bad price. I'll work around to the duo box eventually. I'm particularly keen on the duos with Katherine Young.

Yes, the Bassoonist! I was going to mention that same thing. I paid $47 for it through Amazon and the next day it went down $10 to $37. I emailed them and they credited my account the difference, along with another $5 due to a drop on the new Guru Guru Live In Germany. At least they're quick and responsive.

Yes, the Bassoonist! I was going to mention that same thing. I paid $47 for it through Amazon and the next day it went down $10 to $37. I emailed them and they credited my account the difference, along with another $5 due to a drop on the new Guru Guru Live In Germany. At least they're quick and responsive.

I'm so jealous of those US prices (Trio 2013 is £49, Duets 2012 is £111.55 on amazon.uk) I'm wondering whether emigration/immigration is the solution. I could fund it by all the savings I'd make on future purchases :)

Edited by mjazzg

I'm so jealous of those US prices (Trio 2013 is £49, Duets 2012 is £111.55 on amazon.uk) I'm wondering whether emigration/immigration is the solution. I could fund it by all the savings I'd make on future purchases :)

How close are you to Oto? Maybe we can just switch places, no one will ever notice. :lol:

Can you buy directly from the Tricentric website as a better alternative?

How close are you to Oto? Maybe we can just switch places, no one will ever notice. :lol:

Can you buy directly from the Tricentric website as a better alternative?

25 minutes from Oto on the tube :)

It's not just the retail price but the postage (Tricentric would be $60 inc postage for Trio 2013) and then there's the chance of the 20% sales tax on import and postal service handling fee for administering that tax to factor in. Really the answer is to download but I need to enter ths century first....meanwhile back to some vinyl

Edited by mjazzg

I placed the Trio order this morning with Amazon, which had it for $37.19, includes free shipping, not a bad price. I'll work around to the duo box eventually. I'm particularly keen on the duos with Katherine Young. Yes, the Bassoonist! I was going to mention that same thing. I paid $47 for it through Amazon and the next day it went down $10 to $37. I emailed them and they credited my account the difference, along with another $5 due to a drop on the new Guru Guru Live In Germany. At least they're quick and responsive. I'm so jealous of those US prices (Trio 2013 is £49, Duets 2012 is £111.55 on amazon.uk) I'm wondering whether emigration/immigration is the solution. I could fund it by all the savings I'd make on future purchases :)How close are you to Oto? Maybe we can just switch places, no one will ever notice. :lol:

Can you buy directly from the Tricentric website as a better alternative? 25 minutes from Oto on the tube :)

It's not just the retail price but the postage (Tricentric would be $60 inc postage for Trio 2013) and then there's the chance of the 20% sales tax on import and postal service handling fee for administering that tax to factor in. Really the answer is to download but I need to enter ths century first....meanwhile back to some vinyl

I trade you your 25 minutes for my 75 minutes to The Stone or Jazz Gallery or Cornelia Street for maybe 2 months only.

My big decision for this Friday:

Ingrid Laubrock's Quintet with Tim Berne, Ben Gerstein, Dan Peck and Tom Rainey (Jazz Gallery)

OR:

Tony Malaby's Quartet with Ben Monder, John Hebert and Jeff Williams (Cornelia Street)

I'm torn - my wife likes Gerstein but she wants to see Malaby as she loves him and his untucked shirts and messy hair. Imagine that?!?!

Man, these quotes get long, too bad they don't compress a bit, although we all despise compression right? :Nod:

Oto, Vortex, The Stone, Jazz Gallery........you guys are killin' me. A tough choice for sure between those gigs. My wife is also a fellow traveler so I'd lean toward her preference simply to keep that happening.

I forgot about all the shipping and taxes involved with ordering direct, ouch! Although, for instance, the Oto releases regularly run $20 US from Catalytic Sound so we get hit on this end as well.

Agreed on "Going All Fancy." Really like that one.

On the new NoBusiness, yes, that last one looks incredible, but the middle one, "Plaything," has interest too. When I think of Kent Carter I think of Steve Lacy, which immediately gets my interest. So that's one I'm awaiting with keen interest.

Yes, Kent Carter has been part of some amazing and historic ensembles. It's almost a shock to see his name on a current release. Perhaps I just haven't noticed. I'll have to look around to see if he's been active in other groups lately.

I interviewed Kent years ago for All About Jazz. I am not sure if it's still up (that site SUCKS) but I may re-edit and re-publish it at some point. Fascinating character. Still have about 2 hours of tape from that although not all of it was pertinent (talking about women, etc.).

The String Trio was I think his most recent active ensemble, by the way. Unless I've missed something in the last 6-7 years.

Ah I see that Summer 2009 set - looks like an outgrowth of the String Trio. Will have to seek it out.