Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Long Story Short and the much-lauded Brotzmann/Ghania/Laswell/Drake improvisation ...

I went into this one wary of Bill Laswell's presence, and maybe that colored my reaction to it, but (esp. compared to the Wels concert with the trio on Okka listed above) he pretty much ruined it for me. It sounded less like an improvisation and more like a jam. Not good. His sound is cheesy and I felt like he marshaled the other players into a pretty fixed structure that created easy vamps and crescendos. Clearly I'm in the minority on this one, but that's what I heard. For me one of the great highlights was the Brotzmann/Satoh/Moriyama track. I really need to pick up their album on Not Two for more of that. I also dug the Tentet + John Tchicai, DKV +3, & Bro/Adasiewicz/Toyozumi, among others. I went through the set in a week on my commute and it blew my brains out so I'm not sure when I'll be in the mood to revisit it again.

What is this "first pressing" business?

I know it's a different world but if you bought a bronze that was one of an edition of 50 & then they "reissued" it, you'd be (correctly) pissed.

Un-numbered second editions are certainly not uncommon in the world of record collecting or book collecting, prints, etc. The numbered edition should be able to retain its value against the later, un-numbered edition. I personally don't care if some handmade, edition of 25 noise LP that I own gets reissued down the line. Bigger things to worry about.

I guess you're correct in the essentially low $$ world of CDs, LPs.

Bronzes & numbered lithographs are different stories. The lithographic stones, for example, are supposed to be destroyed when the numbered edition is completed.

The advent of open ended (& even numbered) giclees has created IMHO a whole new & somewhat "shady" market in the 2 - dimensional art world.

I guess you're correct in the essentially low $$ world of CDs, LPs.

Bronzes & numbered lithographs are different stories. The lithographic stones, for example, are supposed to be destroyed when the numbered edition is completed.

The advent of open ended (& even numbered) giclees has created IMHO a whole new & somewhat "shady" market in the 2 - dimensional art world.

I'm imagining a limited edition that's numbers notated as #1295/300. :P

Edited by alankin

The nature of this music is that most stuff is necessarily limited. For example, a lot of NoBusiness LPs are limited (as stated) to 300 copies, and even at that most have not sold out yet. Most CDs are pressed in less than 1,000 amounts. Limitations in the thousands are mostly meaningless.

However, there is a principle here that should not be discarded. When something is sold as a limited item, especially when the explicit or implicit assurance is given that once that limited supply is exhausted, the item will be O/P, then I think it is, to say the least, a very dubious business practice to later sell the same product in the same or slightly different form, and often for less. We rely on the representation made by the label; when that representation turns out not to be true, it is natural to feel cheated. It is no different than any other "come on."

Couple of new releases on Aum Fidelity:

AUM088.jpgAUM08990.jpg

I'm quite keen for the Farmers By Nature, but i'm going to go back and listen to the first two albums first to see if i need/want more. Always liked Gerald Cleaver but he's grown on me a lot in the last couple of years. Wouldn't mind the Shipp/Jones but like so many tempting new releases it comes under "if i had money to burn" for me.

AUM088.jpgAUM08990.jpg

I'm quite keen for the Farmers By Nature, but i'm going to go back and listen to the first two albums first to see if i need/want more. Always liked Gerald Cleaver but he's grown on me a lot in the last couple of years. Wouldn't mind the Shipp/Jones but like so many tempting new releases it comes under "if i had money to burn" for me.

The Farmers by Nature will be a shure shot for me. Really loved their previous album!

AUM088.jpgAUM08990.jpg

The Farmers by Nature will be a shure shot for me. Really loved their previous album!

I'm on the fence at the moment. Touching on what Steve said i think they are an oddly hard group to warm to. I dug them at the time but pretty much never revisit the two previous albums on Aum... have been trying to revisit them recently and just find them strangely hard to get through. There's definitely something there, but it's definitely 'have to be in the right mood' type stuff for me. Wishlisted for now, i need for something to come out on Aum that i can't live without and then i might add Love and Ghosts to my order.

I don't know whether this has already been posted here but Destination Out have quite a few of the FMP reissues available as downloads...

http://destination-out.bandcamp.com/

Looking at the album covers I realise that I must have bought quite a few of them back in the day. They aren't really my cup of tea but I honestly can't remember what happened to them....oh dear!

AUM088.jpgAUM08990.jpg

I'm on the fence at the moment. Touching on what Steve said i think they are an oddly hard group to warm to. I dug them at the time but pretty much never revisit the two previous albums on Aum... have been trying to revisit them recently and just find them strangely hard to get through. There's definitely something there, but it's definitely 'have to be in the right mood' type stuff for me. Wishlisted for now, i need for something to come out on Aum that i can't live without and then i might add Love and Ghosts to my order.

Funny how those things can differ so immensly. There's still tons of free/avantgarde stuff that (for now at least) I find hard to digest, but Farmers by Nature imediately hit me in the right spot when I first heard them. For some reason their interplay and use of rhythm conects with me on a very basic and instinctive level.

I don't know whether this has already been posted here but Destination Out have quite a few of the FMP reissues available as downloads...

Looking at the album covers I realise that I must have bought quite a few of them back in the day. They aren't really my cup of tea but I honestly can't remember what happened to them....oh dear!

When you find them, let me know and I'll house them for you :)

When you find them, let me know and I'll house them for you :)

I remember I used to have these two:

a4072402909_2.jpga2508455272_2.jpg

... and listening to the sound samples they don't sound too bad.

I probably sold them to Mole Jazz in London.........