• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn! I need that!

Sound samples sound good.........

Amazon.uk aren't stocking it... does anyone have a UK/Europe site where it can be ordered?

Intakts do normally find their way eventually onto Amazon.Uk I find. No other source locally that I've found for the label though.

Have InstantJazz got it? Always worth a look

Damn! I need that!

Sound samples sound good.........

Amazon.uk aren't stocking it... does anyone have a UK/Europe site where it can be ordered?

Intakts do normally find their way eventually onto Amazon.Uk I find. No other source locally that I've found for the label though.

Have InstantJazz got it? Always worth a look

Thanks, but no, InstantJazz aren't showing it either.

Perhaps it's not officially released yet; I'll put on my "one to get later" list.

Okay so i've had the chance to listen to Halvorson's Reverse Blue a few times now. It's a mixed bag for me, of the 'great' and 'not bad'. There are some 5 star songs (in terms of my enjoyment level) on there that really knock me out, and there are some songs that i find a bit dull (these may grow on me in time, may start to sit nicely as interludes in the overall album). Overall, the 5 star songs make it worth the price of admission for me; it's like a lot of Blue Note records in that regard!

Chris Speed though! Was mainly familiar with him from the Claudia Quintet. Loving him here, might look to check out some of his stuff as a leader.

On a side note, i've added Relative Pitch to the list of labels that i won't hesitate to order directly from. Quality product, quality service.

Also, Matthew Shipp's The Root of Things! What a knock out! I've always liked Shipp but never really been an avid follower, only have a handful of his albums as a leader... im going to be picking up a lot more of his stuff.

My "Peter Kowald - Discography" boxset arrived a few days ago... no customs charges so I guess it was a bargain at £20.

However, I had a few problems ripping one of the CDs so I thought I'd just check their quality. Using Tau Analyzer the tracks were shown as MPEG which suggests they are not true CD quality. Has anyone else noticed this on their copies?

I don't think I've ever bought anything else on the jazzwerkstatt label .. are they legit?

Chris Speed kills in Bloodcount, Endangered Blood and The Same a River Twice.

xybert, Broken Partials, with Shipp and Joe Morris on bass, is a winner.

Thanks for the recs... got some Bloodcount, Endangered Blood has long been on my 'to check out' list... Joe Morris is a favourite so i'll check that out... there's heaps of Shipp on Spotify, the new solo album I've Been to Many Places is very, very nice.

Okay so i've had the chance to listen to Halvorson's Reverse Blue a few times now. It's a mixed bag for me, of the 'great' and 'not bad'. There are some 5 star songs (in terms of my enjoyment level) on there that really knock me out, and there are some songs that i find a bit dull (these may grow on me in time, may start to sit nicely as interludes in the overall album). Overall, the 5 star songs make it worth the price of admission for me; it's like a lot of Blue Note records in that regard!

Chris Speed though! Was mainly familiar with him from the Claudia Quintet. Loving him here, might look to check out some of his stuff as a leader.

On a side note, i've added Relative Pitch to the list of labels that i won't hesitate to order directly from. Quality product, quality service.

Also, Matthew Shipp's The Root of Things! What a knock out! I've always liked Shipp but never really been an avid follower, only have a handful of his albums as a leader... im going to be picking up a lot more of his stuff.

Great to hear we have another Matt Shipp fan. Let me suggest (you may have it) one of his great classic albums, "The Multiplication Table" on Hatology with William Parker and Susie Ibarra. And Matt just being brilliant by himself on "Piano Sutras." I like "The Root of Things" too, as it gives an accurate picture of what his trio with Bisio and Dickey sound like today.

Great to hear we have another Matt Shipp fan. Let me suggest (you may have it) one of his great classic albums, "The Multiplication Table" on Hatology with William Parker and Susie Ibarra. And Matt just being brilliant by himself on "Piano Sutras." I like "The Root of Things" too, as it gives an accurate picture of what his trio with Bisio and Dickey sound like today.

Funnily enough The Multiplication Table is one of the Shipp albums that i already have. I might check out Piano Sutras, at this stage i've ordered I've Been to Many Places.

The Root of Things man... i've been listening to it pretty much every night since getting it... mileages vary etc, but for whatever reason it's just really resonating with me. I just find it constantly engaging, i'm never checking my watch... i'm familiar enough with the album for it to no longer be a factor but on the first few listens i was always surprised when the album finished... as in, "has it flown by already?"... i'm just enjoying it so much. You know what it's like when you get one of those albums where you just don't feel like listening to anything else? "What should i put on?... looks like it's The Root of Things again..."

Yes, The Root of Things is a very strong album. I don't buy/have many Shipp albums but I think you might also enjoy the following ones:

- Art of the Improvisor. This is a 2 CD, live album. CD one has the same trio as on The Root of Things, and CD two is a solo performance

- Harmonic Disorder. Also a trio album (I tend to like Matthew Shipp best in this format), but this time with Joe Morris on bass instead of Bisio.

Yes, The Root of Things is a very strong album. I don't buy/have many Shipp albums but I think you might also enjoy the following ones:

- Art of the Improvisor. This is a 2 CD, live album. CD one has the same trio as on The Root of Things, and CD two is a solo performance

- Harmonic Disorder. Also a trio album (I tend to like Matthew Shipp best in this format), but this time with Joe Morris on bass instead of Bisio.

Got Art of the Improvisor, it's excellent! Actually revisiting it recently is what prompted me to order The Root of Things. Funny thing is i wasn't even that hugely enthusiastic about ordering The Root of Things, but i was ordering something else from Relative Pitch and wanted to get some more Shipp so thought "what the hell." It's amazing how albums that you didn't think you really wanted that much often turn out to be the real gems.

I really need to check out some of the trio albums with Morris on bass.

reverseblue.jpg

Picked up a copy while up in NYC, and have played this through twice; starts well and improves with each spin. An album with a coherent and cohesive aesthetic, beautifully performed, with Halvorson's incredible guitar playing and compositions. To me, it has a Giuffre-like feel to it, but also with that Braxtonish approach to small-group playing. I think it would be helpful to listen to this as if it was a suite; it has that kind of wholeness,

New Tyshawn Sorey on Pi Recordings

"On Alloy, Sorey takes on the jazz piano trio tradition as exemplified by Bill Evans, Paul Bley and Andrew Hill, in addition to contemporary artists such as Craig Taborn, Jason Moran and Vijay Iyer and extends the continuum to include compositional influences from classical music such as Morton Feldman, Claude Debussy and Frédéric Chopin."

no ambition there, then?