Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've felt for a long time that labels/retailers are fixated on selling physical items rather than music.

Hence overpriced "collector" vinyl and mishmashes like this.

Speaking personally - at this point in time - I'd be happiest to purchase high-quality downloads.

I can see some point in reluctance by people worried about copying - but copying has always been with us.

Don't know how the finances balance out between selling a few overpriced vinyls versus a lot of sensibly-priced vinyls (maybe there just aren't enough of us to matter). But I really don't want to pour money into the pockets of couriers and post offices to move physical items around - when I'm really trying to pay for music. Let alone the graphic designers, liner note writers and other hangers-on who probably get a higher place in the getting-paid queue than the musicians.

And don't let me even get started on the shortcomings of "streaming".

Back to new releases.

Another Polish label Multikulti just released this by impressive Brit bass player Olie Brice (with some other younger local players). Presence of Waclaw Zimpel is a major pull for me too

http://www.multikulti.com/immune-to-clockwork.html

Brice is on Mikolaj Trzaska / Olie Brice / Mark Sanders – Riverloam Trio 2xLP (No Business) 2012--that is a really fine album. Something I didn't know was that he also cut an album with Ingrid Laubrock, Catatumbo, http://babel-label.bandcamp.com/album/catatumbo. Comes in a "luxury edition vinyl Plus CD"! Also download ;) .

Back to new releases.

Another Polish label Multikulti just released this by impressive Brit bass player Olie Brice (with some other younger local players). Presence of Waclaw Zimpel is a major pull for me too

http://www.multikulti.com/immune-to-clockwork.html

Brice is on Mikolaj Trzaska / Olie Brice / Mark Sanders – Riverloam Trio 2xLP (No Business) 2012--that is a really fine album. Something I didn't know was that he also cut an album with Ingrid Laubrock, Catatumbo, http://babel-label.bandcamp.com/album/catatumbo. Comes in a "luxury edition vinyl Plus CD"! Also download ;) .

He plays with some interesting people. Catatumbo is a fine record - I managed to get just the CD at a gig. Saw Riverloam at Oto, good stuff

I'm very interested in that Olie Brice album, mainly because of Waclaw Zimpel who's Hera and Undivided projects I really love. Have to pick that album up sometime soon together with Waclaw Zimpel's ToTu Orchestra release.

On another note, just saw Clean Feed put up the album covers on FB for their November batch. For me, the Tony Malaby's Tubacello album looks like the one to go for.

10422287_10154766958785244_8839970890219

I can't find that page on the Clean Feed site, but it does remind me that I should give another listen to Malaby's Cello Trio, "Warblepeck." with Fred Lonberg-Holm (cello), and John Hollenbeck (d). I saw a concert promo that said Dan Peck was now the tuba player, and Chris Hoffman was the cellist (replacing FLH).

Edited by Leeway

New Brotzman Vinyl:

mollie's in the mood is the sequel to the peter brötzmann / jason adasiewicz 2012 tour-only cd going all fancy, & the third LP on brö since the label's 2003 revival. recorded in 'you are there' fidelity live at chicago's hideout, a favorite venue of both artists, on the duo's 2012 u.s.a. tour. this is what happens when the most original vibraphonist of his generation slams into a force of nature. vinyl cut at sterling by steve fallone & manufactured by RTI. hand pulled screen printed covers on heavyweight stoughton 'laserdisc' sleeves by alan sherry/siwa. one-time pressing in an edition of 600, VINYL ONLY.
ships later november 2014 ($30).
bro-5-Bro-5-front-side_main.jpg
Yeah, pricey, but I think I have to have it.