• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you mean this box set:

Mad+Dogs.jpeg

?

I have this one. It comes in a 12-inch LP cover, with the CD's on a card insert. Strangely for something aping our beloved friend the Vinyl LP - it's a bit of a pain in this configuration because it doesn't fit well on my shelves alongside my other box sets.........

Yes, that one. That's why I put "box" in quotes. I love the music, and I guess I respect the spirit of innovation, but what a mess as a storage device. I had to have a disc replaced because it was badly scratched on arrival (they all dislodged); a couple of others with just minor scuffs. I've heard others had the same problem. I wonder if they will go that route again? Of course, I'll buy it anyway :smirk:

I should have this boxset or at least its first cd to be replaced. My cds were dislodged as well and the first one got really bad scratches which affects playing :/

The new box is listed @ 59.99 on amazon plus 3.99 shipping in US

Not bad - will order for delivery for the holidays.

My guess is that it is more from the same festival as the Parker-Guy-Lytton and Tarfala sections would make the combined playing times for both discs for those trios about the time of a typical hour set. If true, it will be very interesting to see if the music compares favorably to the very strong presentations of those great trios on the first box.

I am especially looking forward to hearing the two Fernandez duets with the two drummers as well as the two larger ensembles.

For those who have not heard the first box, there is little to nothing on the 5 discs that is filler.

Now we need not two to get the rights to release the full orchestra performances that must have ocuured during the festival week. Usually those performances/releases have been on Intakt. The sound on that label is excellent but the mastering/sound on the Mad Dogs box is even beyond that.

I love Taborn, but Farmers By Nature has never really grabbed me for some reason, don't know why.

my thoughts exactly. Still play the first two albums now and again waiting for them to connect but still waiting

I heard more people on this board stating your opinions. At the time I found it strange, as Farmers by Nature was one of the first avant garde groups that really connected with me (and so I assumed it would easy connect to most other people also). For me the appeal of the group is the way they (at least to me) seem to search for that one fat groove and the connection/unity between each other they display doing this. Also the feel of the music has a somewhat sci-fi / ambient vibe to me, which reminds me somewhat of the music I played in my early days of DJ-ing many years ago (sci-fi techno/ambient from the likes of Jeff Mills, Carl Craig, Claude Young a.o.).

That being said, I received their debut album this week and after listening to it once I definitely like it, but I don't think it's on par with the second or last album of theirs. It feels like there is more searching and less "getting there", if that makes any sense :D

Despite that fact, I'm very happy I finally have this album in my collection now and will certainly revisit it now and again.

I've decided I will get either the second or third Farmers by Nature albums despite not being impressed with them live. I remember them searching for that fat groove but never getting there......I was waiting for Cleaver to find his way into one of those grooves that he gets to on some nights. Not always possible every night or every set, but based on the above, maybe it happens on the records.....

A new album from the 'Nova Express' Zorn drums/bass/piano/vibes quartet came out in August:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Leaves-Grass-John-Zorn/dp/B00KGYPXPM/ref=sr_1_2_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416389859&sr=8-2&keywords=On+Leaves+of+Grass

Sounds like more of the same but i quite like this group.

I've given the CD few listens now. Overall it falls closer to 'mystic' Zorn albums like At The Gates Of Paradise and The Goddess than Nova Express and Dream Machines, although there are still some Nova style freak-outs in there. The current Amazon reviews actually do a pretty good job of telling the tale, although they're divided into five, four and three star reviews, they are all 'right' in their own way. YMMV will vary. It took until the third listen to start hitting the spot for me and start hearing it for what it was rather than switching off and just hearing it as more of the same.

61jCheRL5mL._SX355_.jpg

Ordered 'Mad Dogs on the Loose' last week. Hoping it's not the same LP-styled presentation as the 5-disc set!

Ordering next week!!

My copy just arrived . Same questionable design I regret to say as the earlier edition .All four discs detached from their foam posts . None damage as far as I can see. Disc 1 sounding excellent

Just a random note, i recently ordered a couple of Chris Speed albums, Really OK (trio album with Dave King and Chris Tordini) and Ruins (duet album with Zeno De Rossi), directly from Skirl records. Have only listened to the CDs once and i'm really digging them, but i just wanted to note that i was pretty happy with the quality of the product and the service, wouldn't hesitate to order directly from them again in the future. Anyway, i always feel like that's worth noting FWIW. What's up with the tall, DVD case size digipaks though? Doesn't bother me as such, but, interesting design choice!

Oke, It’s almost the end of the year so I want to order one final batch of albums this year. However, I just can’t seem to cut down my “shortlist” to an acceptable amount of albums (financial wise).

From my shortlist I think I have three sure shots, which are:

Olie Brice – Immune to Clockwork (2014, Multikulti)

Waclaw Zimpel To Tu Orchestra – Nature Moves (2014, For Tune)

Tyshawn Sorey – Alloy (2014, Pi Recordings)

I definitely want to add one, but maybe two or three more albums to the batch (depending on the price), but I just can’t decide from the next list of albums. I wonder which album(s) people here would really advocate for as being essential or just a very good accompaniment for the aforementioned “sure shots”.

The list:

Waclaw Zimpel – Stone Fog (2013, For Tune)

Steve Lehman – Mise and Abime (2014, Pi Recordings)

Red Trio feat. Nate Wooley – Stem (2012, Clean Feed)

Red Trio feat. Mattias Stahl – North and the Red Stream (2014, NoBusiness)

Rodrigo Amado – Searching for Adam (2010, Not Two)

Cecil Taylor – Nefertiti the Beautifull One has Come (if I would go for this one, I would prefer the Revenant 2XCD edition I think. That one is (for me at least) rather expensive though at around €40,-. I could buy three other albums for that price)

Horace Tapscott – The Dark Tree 1&2 (1999, hatOLOGY)

Edited by niels

Oke, It’s almost the end of the year so I want to order one final batch of albums this year. However, I just can’t seem to cut down my “shortlist” to an acceptable amount of albums (financial wise).

From my shortlist I think I have three sure shots, which are:

Olie Brice – Immune to Clockwork (2014, Multikulti)

Waclaw Zimpel To Tu Orchestra – Nature Moves (2014, For Tune)

Tyshawn Sorey – Alloy (2014, Pi Recordings)

I definitely want to add one, but maybe two or three more albums to the batch (depending on the price), but I just can’t decide from the next list of albums. I wonder which album(s) people here would really advocate for as being essential or just a very good accompaniment for the aforementioned “sure shots”.

The list:

Waclaw Zimpel – Stone Fog (2013, For Tune)

Steve Lehman – Mise and Abime (2014, Pi Recordings)

Red Trio feat. Nate Wooley – Stem (2012, Clean Feed)

Red Trio feat. Mattias Stahl – North and the Red Stream (2014, NoBusiness)

Rodrigo Amado – Searching for Adam (2010, Not Two)

Cecil Taylor – Nefertiti the Beautifull One has Come (if I would go for this one, I would prefer the Revenant 2XCD edition I think. That one is (for me at least) rather expensive though at around €40,-. I could buy three other albums for that price)

Horace Tapscott – The Dark Tree 1&2 (1999, hatOLOGY)

I know this isn't what you asked but as a Zimpel fan (the Brice is lovely) I'd suggest replacing the 'To Tu Orchestra' with 'Stone Fog'. I found the orchestra album underwhelming (I think because I was expecting it to sound like a larger version of his small group recordings and it doesn't really) whilst 'Stone Fog' is stunning.

All the others are good listens (haven't heard the Amado) but the Tapscott and Taylor discs are great intros to those musicians if you've not got anything else by them. The Revenant Taylor is probably worth three other discs ;)

Happy shopping!

Edited by mjazzg

Ordered 'Mad Dogs on the Loose' last week. Hoping it's not the same LP-styled presentation as the 5-disc set!

Ordering next week!!

My copy just arrived . Same questionable design I regret to say as the earlier edition .All four discs detached from their foam posts . None damage as far as I can see. Disc 1 sounding excellent

The packaging, if it hasn't been pointed out, is actually a little different and much worse than before. My first set arrived with all the discs secured in place on rubber posts. My second set arrived with the discs scattered about mixed with bits of foam that replaced the previously mentioned rubber. Two of the discs are scratched but look playable. Got them in the player now.