colinmce

Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

1,792 posts in this topic

So how does one get a copy in the US?

Suspect shipping from overseas will be prohibitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, niels said:

 

Mine is also underway from Alexander Hawkins, really looking forward to it!

Listened to mine now. I don't think you'll be disappointed

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

So how does one get a copy in the US?

Suspect shipping from overseas will be prohibitive.

try contacting Drake or Evans perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1 December 2015 at 21:30:34, mjazzg said:

mine arrived today courtesy of Mr Hawkins. Very efficient service, thank you Alex

Yet to listen to it but the packaging is certainly impressive if nothing else

Great - glad it got there in good time! Hope you enjoy it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Great - glad it got there in good time! Hope you enjoy it...

Enjoy it I have indeed. There's some great interplay going on there throughout the disc between varying combinations within the quintet. Evan P sounds almost funky at a couple of points:) Must be the influence of Hamid Drake....

(as he did with Black Top a couple of weeks ago......but then Pat Thomas and Orphy Robinson were hitting some grooves that night) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to it twice today, and I truly love it! Fantastic playing by everyone, and boy this does swing hard at moments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so after the almost McPhee love-fest lately ... there's a seven disc set out on Paal Nilsen-Love's label, "Candy", that seems to be pretty great ... found out about it today and my order is in already!

https://pnlrecords.bandcamp.com/album/candy-4

review (and more buying options - but this is a case where I buy from the source):

http://www.freejazzblog.org/2015/11/joe-mcphee-paal-nilssen-love-candy-pnl.html

 

 

and as I'm posting here already ... the "Pomegranate" saga continues ... I gave up hopes of ever getting my backer copy, so I put in a new order with the label ... after a month or so and not receiving anything again, I got in touch and at least Ed seems to now bother ... I might after all still get a copy in 2015, wouldn't that be nice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Okay, so after the almost McPhee love-fest lately ... there's a seven disc set out on Paal Nilsen-Love's label, "Candy", that seems to be pretty great ... found out about it today and my order is in already!

https://pnlrecords.bandcamp.com/album/candy-4

review (and more buying options - but this is a case where I buy from the source):

http://www.freejazzblog.org/2015/11/joe-mcphee-paal-nilssen-love-candy-pnl.html

 

 

and as I'm posting here already ... the "Pomegranate" saga continues ... I gave up hopes of ever getting my backer copy, so I put in a new order with the label ... after a month or so and not receiving anything again, I got in touch and at least Ed seems to now bother ... I might after all still get a copy in 2015, wouldn't that be nice?

I've been flirting with that one but haven't jumped in yet. I do wonder whether 7 discs might be too much of a good thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grabbed 'Candy' on discogs yesterday for $39 USD. Squidco seems to offer a cheap sealed copy once a week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered the new 4CDBox set from Agusti Fernández yesterday on bandcamp, which I think is very interesting and deserves some attention (as I don't see it being widely available). In 2014 Agusti Fernández was invited to the Ad Libitum Festival in Warsaw to play four concerts. Each concert sees Agusti in a (very) different setting, so I think this box set gives a very good impression of the wide capacities of the great pianist.

https://sluchaj.bandcamp.com/

R-7720693-1447418695-3522.jpeg.jpg

CD01: River, Tiger, Fire
Agustí Fernández - piano, conductor 
Wacław Zimpel - alto clarinet, ukrainian trombita, khaen (laotian bamboo mouth organ) 
Ray Dickaty - soprano & tenor saxophone 
Gerard Lebik - tenor saxophone 
Artur Majewski - trumpet 
Dominik Strycharski - soprano, alto & bass recorders / blockflutes 
Patryk Zakrocki - violin 
Marcin Olak - electric, acoustic guitats 
Rafał Mazur - acoustic bass guitar 
Ksawery Wójciński - double bass 
Hubert Zemler - drums

CD02: Thunder
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Frances Marie Uitti - cello 
Joel Ryan - live electronics 

CD03: Mnemosyne's Labyrinth
Agustí Fernández - piano

CD04: Live in Warsaw 
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Barry Guy - bass 
Ramón López - drums

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MI0003880267.jpg

An epic wait has ended ... two months ago I decided to, fuck, just order the disc from the label, as I never heard back from Mr. Haynes ... my order went under, it seems, and after getting in touch with Ed from New Atlantis again three weeks back, I had actually given up ever receiving a disc this very morning. And in the afternoon, what do I find in the mailbox ... Ed was kind enough to add another disc to the package, which is a nice way to make up for an epic fuck-up - truly appreciated. :tup

Actually, this morning I was of a mindset that even if the disc gets here before the year ends, I would just not listen to it, why bother ... but I guess watching a crappy Peckinpah flick in the movies tonight ("Convoy" 'twas) and having a couple of beers afterwards has mellowed my moods a bit. So I tore off the shrinkwrap, grabbed my (fairly new and wonderful beyerdynamic) headphones and popped it in ... William Parker again sounds okay here (he didn live a few weeks ago ... guess studio technique does all the tricks necessary?), but that's just a stupid aside really - this is wonderful music, warm and human if that makes sense, organic, slowly unfolding, fuzzy and sometimes whimsical on the surface but deep beneath it. Happy I finally got the disc, even I still feel like having been screwed ...

 

Edited by king ubu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, king ubu said:

MI0003880267.jpg

An epic wait has ended ... two months ago I decided to, fuck, just order the disc from the label, as I never heard back from Mr. Haynes ... my order went under, it seems, and after getting in touch with Ed from New Atlantis again three weeks back, I had actually given up ever receiving a disc this very morning. And in the afternoon, what do I find in the mailbox ... Ed was kind enough to add another disc to the package, which is a nice way to make up for an epic fuck-up - truly appreciated. :tup

Actually, this morning I was of a mindset that even if the disc gets here before the year ends, I would just not listen to it, why bother ... but I guess watching a crappy Peckinpah flick in the movies tonight ("Convoy" 'twas) and having a couple of beers afterwards has mellowed my moods a bit. So I tore off the shrinkwrap, grabbed my (fairly new and wonderful beyerdynamic) headphones and popped it in ... William Parker again sounds okay here (he didn live a few weeks ago ... guess studio technique does all the tricks necessary?), but that's just a stupid aside really - this is wonderful music, warm and human if that makes sense, organic, slowly unfolding, fuzzy and sometimes whimsical on the surface but deep beneath it. Happy I finally got the disc, even I still feel like having been screwed ...

 

one of the best releases of the year for me. Pleased your wait finally proved fruitful. Nice description too

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 10:29 PM, niels said:

Just ordered the new 4CDBox set from Agusti Fernández yesterday on bandcamp, which I think is very interesting and deserves some attention (as I don't see it being widely available). In 2014 Agusti Fernández was invited to the Ad Libitum Festival in Warsaw to play four concerts. Each concert sees Agusti in a (very) different setting, so I think this box set gives a very good impression of the wide capacities of the great pianist.

https://sluchaj.bandcamp.com/

R-7720693-1447418695-3522.jpeg.jpg

CD01: River, Tiger, Fire
Agustí Fernández - piano, conductor 
Wacław Zimpel - alto clarinet, ukrainian trombita, khaen (laotian bamboo mouth organ) 
Ray Dickaty - soprano & tenor saxophone 
Gerard Lebik - tenor saxophone 
Artur Majewski - trumpet 
Dominik Strycharski - soprano, alto & bass recorders / blockflutes 
Patryk Zakrocki - violin 
Marcin Olak - electric, acoustic guitats 
Rafał Mazur - acoustic bass guitar 
Ksawery Wójciński - double bass 
Hubert Zemler - drums

CD02: Thunder
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Frances Marie Uitti - cello 
Joel Ryan - live electronics 

CD03: Mnemosyne's Labyrinth
Agustí Fernández - piano

CD04: Live in Warsaw 
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Barry Guy - bass 
Ramón López - drums

 

That does look very tempting. The Guy/Lopez trio is one of my favourite piano trios

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mjazzg said:

one of the best releases of the year for me. Pleased your wait finally proved fruitful. Nice description too

It's a truly wonderful disc, into my third spin today ... glad I got over my grudge and popped it right into the player!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I want the Agusti Fernandez box very badly

 

letter to Santa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered it directly from the label on Bandcamp, and including shipping it only cost me €35,- (very reasonable for a 4CD set I think).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, recently ordered it too. CAD to PNL was surprisingly affordable. The music, of course, sets the bar very high. Possibly the most engaging, honest, and beautiful sounds of 2015.

 

Edited by peterintoronto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2015 at 10:29 PM, niels said:

Just ordered the new 4CDBox set from Agusti Fernández yesterday on bandcamp, which I think is very interesting and deserves some attention (as I don't see it being widely available). In 2014 Agusti Fernández was invited to the Ad Libitum Festival in Warsaw to play four concerts. Each concert sees Agusti in a (very) different setting, so I think this box set gives a very good impression of the wide capacities of the great pianist.

https://sluchaj.bandcamp.com/

R-7720693-1447418695-3522.jpeg.jpg

 

Thanks for the alert on this. I also really like the Fernandez/Guy/Ropez trio (and where I've heard him elsewhere).

Downloaded it from Bandcamp for just over £18. Bargain! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51YAf17yUdL._SX425_.jpg

Charles Gayle - Tenor Saxophone

Buell Neidlinger - Bass

John Bergamo - Drums

Looks like this was released a few weeks ago. Recorded at John Bergamo's home on a tape recorder in 1965. Can't wait to hear pre-Homeless (Silkheart) Charles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard him play at a concert in Buffalo in 1967.

edit - I might be interested in hearing this, mainly because I never cared for John Bergamo's playing when I heard him in the mid 60's (seemed stiff to me) and it could be interesting to hear what my take is now.

Edited by paul secor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8115zXCXtoL._SX425_.jpg

Charles Gayle - Tenor Saxophone,Piano

William Parker - Bass

Hamid Drake - Drums

Another Charles release coming Jan 21st. Semi-looking forward to this one. About half of Charles playing is on Piano, and though at times I enjoy his piano playing, in this ensemble I would prefer him on tenor. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 23, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

I want the Agusti Fernandez box very badly

 

I ordered it from Jazz Messengers in Barcelona. Shipped today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20 December 2015 at 10:29 PM, niels said:

Just ordered the new 4CDBox set from Agusti Fernández yesterday on bandcamp, which I think is very interesting and deserves some attention (as I don't see it being widely available). In 2014 Agusti Fernández was invited to the Ad Libitum Festival in Warsaw to play four concerts. Each concert sees Agusti in a (very) different setting, so I think this box set gives a very good impression of the wide capacities of the great pianist.

https://sluchaj.bandcamp.com/

R-7720693-1447418695-3522.jpeg.jpg

CD01: River, Tiger, Fire
Agustí Fernández 

 

I ordered this directly from the label. It arrived here very quickly and sounds absolutely stunning so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered directly from the label too - in late December. Still hasn't arrived. Apparently another will be sent to me. We'll see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 24, 2015 at 6:17 AM, jcam_44 said:

51YAf17yUdL._SX425_.jpg

Charles Gayle - Tenor Saxophone

Buell Neidlinger - Bass

John Bergamo - Drums

Looks like this was released a few weeks ago. Recorded at John Bergamo's home on a tape recorder in 1965. Can't wait to hear pre-Homeless (Silkheart) Charles.

Completely underwhelming and the sound quality is subpar even for a tape recorder.I wouldn't recommend this unless you're a completist or find it for a good buy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Agusti Fernandez box arrived today from Jazz Messengers. (Apparently it's now out of stock.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.