Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

Second the recommendation of that Emanem duo disc, it's fantastic. There's also the great Tea Time album with Coombes, John Russell, Dave Solomon, and Gary Todd also reissued on Emanem and still available direct. 

I presume you may have heard the classic Double Indemnity/Imitation of Life recordings with Toshi Kondo, Tristan Honsinger, and David Toop but if not I personally think very highly of those. 

Trap Street on Emanem with Alan Tomlinson and Roger Turner is excellent. And I like his more straight ahead playing in Foxes Fox, though I do find their output a little uneven. He reminds me of Jim Baker a bit in this role. 

Finally the excellent Chinese BBQ disc on the SAJ 'Selected 80s Concerts' box with Hans Reichel & Rudgier Carl.

19 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I feel like the polish has come off Astral Spirits' operation recently. I'm not sure why (lower marketing budget? oversaturation? getting squeezed out by International Anthem?), but the releases don't seem to be making the splash online and in the press that they once were. I assume there's been no dip in quality.

By the way, has anyone encountered anything stellar recently? I'm in the mood for something new, but nothing has caught my eye. It feels a bit like everything got released last year, and this year artists are having a breather. Then again, I may have just blinked at the wrong time.

I have never been very keen on AS aside from a few fine recordings in the jazz realm. Personal taste probably, I just don't find it a very rigorous enterprise.

Also struggling to find anything new on the horizon that is piquing interest. ymmv, but I'm very much looking forward to Ivo Perelman's upcoming 9 disc set of piano duos on Fundacja Słuchaj: Dave Burrell, Aaron Parks, Sylvie Courvoisier, Vijay Iyer, Agusti Fernandez, Craig Taborn, Angelica Sanchez, Auran Ortiz, and Marilyn Crispell.

Edited by colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, colinmce said:

Second the recommendation of that Emanem duo disc, it's fantastic. There's also the great Tea Time album with Coombes, John Russell, Dave Solomon, and Gary Todd also reissued on Emanem and still available direct. 

I presume you may have heard the classic Double Indemnity/Imitation of Life recordings with Toshi Kondo, Tristan Honsinger, and David Toop but if not I personally think very highly of those. 

Trap Street on Emanem with Alan Tomlinson and Roger Turner is excellent. And I like his more straight ahead playing in Foxes Fox, though I do find their output a little uneven. He reminds me of Jim Baker a bit in this role. 

Finally the excellent Chinese BBQ disc on the SAJ 'Selected 80s Concerts' box with Hans Reichel & Rudgier Carl.

Thanks for this.  For a musician who is very easy for me to see live I've not really investigated his recorded catalogue.  I shall take some pointers

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

I have never been very keen on AS aside from a few fine recordings in the jazz realm. Personal taste probably, I just don't find it a very rigorous enterprise.

Also struggling to find anything new on the horizon that is piquing interest. ymmv, but I'm very much looking forward to Ivo Perelman's upcoming 9 disc set of piano duos on Fundacja Słuchaj: Dave Burrell, Aaron Parks, Sylvie Courvoisier, Vijay Iyer, Agusti Fernandez, Craig Taborn, Angelica Sanchez, Auran Ortiz, and Marilyn Crispell.

Has Matt Shipp upset him?

haha I personally appreciate his restraint on this one

That said, I do find myself much more open to this whole situation now that he seems to have moved on from Leo. Something about that relentless decade of musical chairs made me feel insane. But since I've finally investigated some of the music on other labels, I find I like it very much. 

3 hours ago, colinmce said:

Finally the excellent Chinese BBQ disc on the SAJ 'Selected 80s Concerts' box with Hans Reichel & Rudiger Carl.

Thanks for this. 

Corbett vs. Dempsey has prepared a CD issue of the Cecil Taylor/Sunny Murray performance a the 1996 TMM that was previously available as a download from Destination: Out

https://www.corbettvsdempsey.com/records/corona/

There is also a new Tom Prehn release available, both of these appear to be shipping now. Discs from Ken Vandermark, Okkyung Lee, Joe McPhee, and Moreno Veloso are scheduled for release next month. 

Edited by colinmce

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Joelle Leandre: Beauty/Resistance

3 CD set with Mateusz Rybicki on clarinet & Zbigniew Kozera on double bass (both new to me)

plus Rafal Mazur & Zlatko Kaucic

disc 1 quartet all except Mazur

disc 2 very short duo with Kaucic (worth all I paid right here)

disc 3 duo with Mazur

Every time I think I have enough from Lady Joelle I realize I’m badly mistaken / she might be my favorite improvisor on the planet. She gets better with age. I knew these were short performances and the price was high. First listen and I’m thrilled and of course moved emotionally - recorded Autumn of 2019 in Krakow before the world of this music ended. Still not back. It really only comes back when we are free from the thoughts and whispers. This music demands that in a live setting. This is the next best thing. 

peace and blessings on this Christmas morning - this thread needed to be added to

(I have 9 other new CD’s from my stocking - 3 from No Business, 2 new ones from Relative Pitch & 4 from erstwhile records 

This one on Not Two records 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I've been growing a little disillusioned with some of the more recent releases by artists or labels that might once have appeared on this thread.  I have been annoyed by what I perceive (perhaps wrongly) to be a sense of slick self importance that is creeping in around the edges. If anyone has some really killer recent finds I'd love to hear about them.

18 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Joelle Leandre: Beauty/Resistance

3 CD set with Mateusz Rybicki on clarinet & Zbigniew Kozera on double bass (both new to me)

plus Rafal Mazur & Zlatko Kaucic

disc 1 quartet all except Mazur

disc 2 very short duo with Kaucic (worth all I paid right here)

disc 3 duo with Mazur

Every time I think I have enough from Lady Joelle I realize I’m badly mistaken / she might be my favorite improvisor on the planet. She gets better with age. I knew these were short performances and the price was high. First listen and I’m thrilled and of course moved emotionally - recorded Autumn of 2019 in Krakow before the world of this music ended. Still not back. It really only comes back when we are free from the thoughts and whispers. This music demands that in a live setting. This is the next best thing. 

peace and blessings on this Christmas morning - this thread needed to be added to

(I have 9 other new CD’s from my stocking - 3 from No Business, 2 new ones from Relative Pitch & 4 from erstwhile records 

This one on Not Two records 

Thanks for the tips Steve. I agree wholeheartedly about Leandre and shall look to get this set I think. I wish that Not Two would set up a Bandcamp site though. 

I hope you enjoy the rest of your Xmas haul.

23 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I've been growing a little disillusioned with some of the more recent releases by artists or labels that might once have appeared on this thread.  I have been annoyed by what I perceive (perhaps wrongly) to be a sense of slick self importance that is creeping in around the edges. If anyone has some really killer recent finds I'd love to hear about them.

I'm intrigued by the "slick self-importance", I'd be interested to know which releases you detect this in 

Anyway, my last Squidco order was:

Artifacts - And then there is 

XT - Pah' 

Shocron/Parker/Diaz El Templo 

All three worthy of a good listen with perhaps the second having the potential to fall within your description but that's as much about presentation as the music itself

Edited by mjazzg

58 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm intrigued by the "slick self-importance", I'd be interested to know which releases you detect this in 

I'll think of some examples. It's particularly on the slightly more commercial side of 'modern / avant', where the artspeak press releases seem to be overwhelming the music a bit. Some of it is starting to feel a little institutional and polite.

I'm not sure how much of this is rational though. Perhaps it's just me reacting to Twitter hagiography and projecting it onto the artists / releases themselves.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

but that's as much about presentation as the music itself

Maybe that's all I'm saying. I'm not convinced this isn't just me being a little sated.

3 hours ago, Onxidlib said:

Don't know wether this upcoming release was already mentioned here.

Historic%20Music%20Square%20Front%20Cove

Peter Brötzmann / William Parker / Milford Graves double LP is due for the end of January 2022 through Black Editions. Pre-order is available as of now (already ordered a copy).

I was at this show. Too bad it’s not on CD. 

12 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Black editions so sometimes releases cds in Japan. 

edit: never mind. I got it backwards. Black editions released an album on vinyl after the cd issue in another label. 

Edited by jcam_44

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Yes I would prefer a CD as well. But if the music is on vinyl I take a vinyl (or even a cassette if necessary or whatever).

... Black Editions aquired the rights for the Japanese label PFS, which had only CDs. But not much has happened insofar.

Kuzu

Rempis, Dorji & Damon

All Your Ghosts in One Corner

Recorded right before lockdown 

3/12 & 3/13/2020 @ Elastic Arts in Chicago & Sugar Maple in Milwaukee

greatest power trio in the world. Wish they recorded and released the whole little shortened tour that started on 3/8. Post Covid I’m seeing this band. 

Plus as always the recording/remastering from Dave Zuchowski is better than almost anything else released by anyone. Plus Rempis is the real deal. A bit overstated but that’s his way. He’s almost too good but it still fires me up. This group does know how to build and become elastic so it never is too much. 

Aerophonic records