Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

Another ludicrously good batch from clean feed:

Mark Dresser Quintet - Nourishment w/ Denman Maroney (p), Michael Dessen (tb), Michael Sarin (d), Rudresh Mahanthappa (as), Tom Rainey (d),

Trumpets & Drums w/ Wooley, Evans, Lytton, Black

Joe McPhee - Sonic Elements for Pocket Trumpet & Alto Saxophone

Nate Wooley Sextet - (Sit In) The Throne of Friendship w/ Dan Peck (tba), Eivind Opsvik (b), Harris Eisenstadt (d), Josh Sinton(bcl), Matt Moran (vib)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another ludicrously good batch from clean feed:

Mark Dresser Quintet - Nourishment w/ Denman Maroney (p), Michael Dessen (tb), Michael Sarin (d), Rudresh Mahanthappa (as), Tom Rainey (d),

Trumpets & Drums w/ Wooley, Evans, Lytton, Black

Joe McPhee - Sonic Elements for Pocket Trumpet & Alto Saxophone

Nate Wooley Sextet - (Sit In) The Throne of Friendship w/ Dan Peck (tba), Eivind Opsvik (b), Harris Eisenstadt (d), Josh Sinton(bcl), Matt Moran (vib)

Yes indeed. The McPhee is a 'must buy' for me. I'm intrigued by Jim Black's presence in that Trumpet and Drums line up but as a Peter Evans agnostic I think I might pass.

I was just listening to some intriguing samples over at Squidco of the Susana Santos Silva & Torbjorn Zettererg also a recent Clean Feed

Jazzwerkstatt has begun releasing select titles on 180g vinyl, including Touchin' On Trane in case anyone ever wanted that one on LP.

That sounds tempting.

Roaratorio has been releasing some interesting stuff from both Joe McPhee and Steve Lacy. Now they're releasing the duo encore that was performed in 1977. It was encore to Lacy's solo performance which was released on Clinkers. This is called "The Rest" and is around 19 minutes.

http://roaratorio.com/main.html

Other releases/reissues that might be of interest.

Joe McPhee, Thurston Moore, Bill Nace - Last Notes

Joe McPhee: Trio X - Live on Tour 2010

Ellery Eskelin, Susan Alcorn, Michael Formanek - Mirage

Ellery Eskelin, Gary Versace, Gerald Cleaver: New York II

A bunch of new, or reissues from, or involving Peter Brötzmann. The reissues are on vinyl.

Brötzmann & Hamid Drake - Solid and Spirit

Brötzmann - Solo at Dobialab

Brötzmann, Fred Lonberg-Holm, Paal Nilssen-Love & Pat Thomas - ADA Pat Thomas OTO

Brötzmann, Fred Lonberg-Holm, Paal Nilssen-Love & Steve Noble - ADA Steve Noble OTO

Brötzmann/Van Hove/Bennink - Einheitsfrontlied 7‘

Globe Unity ‘75 - Und jetzt die Sportschau 7‘

Brötzmann/Van Hove/Bennink -Tschüss

Brötzmann/Van Hove/Bennink - Balls

Brötzmann/Bennink - Ein halber Hund kann nicht pinkeln

Brötzmann/Bennink - Schwarzwaldfahrt

Brötzmann/Miller/Moholo - The Nearer the Bone, the Sweeter the Meat

Manfred Schoof - European Echoes

Alexander von Schlippenbach Septet - The Living Music

Evan Parker/Barry Guy/Paul Lytton - Live at Maya Recordings Festival

Drew Gress, Tim Berne, Ralph Alessi, Craig Taborn, Tom Rainey - The Sky Inside

Bill Frisell - Big Sur

Magda Mayas, John Butcher, Tony Buck & Burkhard Stangl - Plume

Nate Wooley - (9) Syllables

Axel Dörner and Mark Sanders – Stonecipher

The Convergence Quartet (Taylor Ho Bynum, Alexander Hawkins, Dominic Lash, Harris Eisenstadt - Slow and Steady

William Parker/Conny Bauer/Hamid Drake - Tender Exploration

Zen Widow (Gianni Gebbia, Matthew Goodheart, Garth Powell) w/ Wadada Leo Smith - Screaming in Daytime (Makes Men Forget) - this is is Glenn Spearman tribute.

Atomic - There's a Hole in the Mountain

Andrew Cyrille, Michael Marcus, Ted Daniel - Duology

Gary Peakcock & Marilyn Crispell - Azure

John Carter & Bobby Bradford Quartet - Flight For Four (reissue)

John Carter & Bobby Bradford Quartet - Seeking

John Carter & Bobby Bradford Quintet - Comin' On: Catalina Bar And Grill, Hollywood May 29th 1988

Edited by Blue Train

Not meaning to be snarky, but I would love to know the interest in vinyl versions of digital recordings. I understand the nostalgic and possibly technical reasons to be interested in lps of analogue recordings but the rest baffles me. I do not see how this can be seen as an improvement on a cd or a proper file.

I've had a hard time getting in to this one, having really enjoyed (Put Your) Hands Together. Objectively it's a top notch album, but i'm just not enjoying it. Would be keen to hear the thoughts of any one else that's spent any time with it... not sure if i just need more listens or if i need to shelve it and come back to it at a later date with fresh ears.

Not meaning to be snarky, but I would love to know the interest in vinyl versions of digital recordings. I understand the nostalgic and possibly technical reasons to be interested in lps of analogue recordings but the rest baffles me. I do not see how this can be seen as an improvement on a cd or a proper file.

I agree, very few of these new vinyl edition give any idea of how they've been remastered. I'd feel totally cheated if I found that a supposed audiophile vinyl edition was in fact mastered from a digital source.

"Hipsters" wanting their skronk on vinyl. They have no clue about the sources, whether it was digital or analogue. The prices are somewhat outrageous for what you get.

I agree, very few of these new vinyl edition give any idea of how they've been remastered. I'd feel totally cheated if I found that a supposed audiophile vinyl edition was in fact mastered from a digital source.

Well, in a straightforward way, many recordings are made at 24 bit, so the pro-vinyl lobby will say that analogue can carry more of that than CD..

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't heard it, but this @ least gives you an idea what the Echo Echo Mirror House phase is about. It's a combination of live and sampled music/sound.

http://tricentricfoundation.org/label/echo-echo-mirror-house/echo-echo-mirror-house-nyc-2011/

https://soundcloud.com/tricentricfoundation/echo-echo-mirror-house-nyc

Edited by Blue Train

Haven't heard it, but this @ least gives you an idea what the Echo Echo Mirror House phase is about. It's a combination of live and sampled music/sound.

http://tricentricfoundation.org/label/echo-echo-mirror-house/echo-echo-mirror-house-nyc-2011/

https://soundcloud.com/tricentricfoundation/echo-echo-mirror-house-nyc

thanks Blue Train

It's a given that it's hard to judge an album by the track snippets on Amazon (or in this case Amazon UK) but the samples for the Trio 3 + Jason Moran sound really promising. Nice to see that people are seemingly open to Jason Moran around here... i usually encounter ambivalence.