BFT 105 Discussion Thread

JSngry

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this, fun stuff! It was a crazy month here so I wasn't able to give it as much time as I'd like, but here are a few comments (and I haven't looked at anything else in this thread or the "reveal" thread yet)...

1. Sounds like a commercial for something, but isn't that Jon Hendricks on vocals?

3. Marlena Shaw...but I only know this because I saw you posting about her in another thread. :) Nice, easy groovin' tune though.

4. This one is a blast. I don't have any guesses though. Love the bass player.

5. ????? Al Jolson? I have no idea what to make of this... :)

7. I really like the feel of the rhythm section, but not crazy about the tune or the singer, to be honest.

11. Aha! This is Stark Reality, from that "Hoagy Carmichael" album. I need to get more familiar with this record, but it's great stuff!

I really enjoyed 12 and 14 too, but no guesses on those. Will go check the reveal thread now...

Thanks again! :tup

OK, took a second listen this morning and jotted down some replies. Fun listen, thanks Jim.

1. I love you for this weirdness, Jim. Cholesterol...what?

2. Smooth in a positive way. I don't know her voice. The little sparkly noise is sort of cheesy.

3. Funky. That's more my bag, but still smoother than I normally venture toward. Another voice I don't know.

4. Even funkier. A Grant Green formula, but not Grant. Me likey.

5. Quite a story. It must be terrible to have someone die in one's presence. I haven't experienced it.

6. Jazz singers really aren't my area of expertise. Sinatra-ish. No guess.

7. Funky again! With all these singers, one would think I'd be able to muster a guess, but I don't know this voice either. I like the electric keys.

8. Nice latin groove. Digging it, but don't know it. It sounds like some boogaloos on Blue Note. With the flute I might guess Leo Wright or maybe Joe Thomas. An American/latin hybrid. The muffled honking announcing the horn soloist sounds familiar. I should know that...dang.

9. Whoa, a commercial. Pepsi. Since I was a child at the time, that was really my first exposure to Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles. It would be many years later when I would appreciate them for the outstanding musicians they are rather than the Pepsi pitch people.

10. Short and sweet. Swinging. Nice. No clue.

11. A little wah wah. Different sounding keys make me think of electric Kenny Barron. I like this.

12. Bluesin'. I like the funny male background vocal. Another female vocalist outside my scope. Fun track.

13. Ha! Great interlude.

14. A slow melancholy outro. Pretty and playful. Can't say I know who it is.

Now, on to read everyone's guesses and then the answer thread! :cool:

Whoops, I didn't listen to the Coke commercial twice, and remembered it as Pepsi. :winky::crazy:

NOw I'm REALLY embarassed.

les_.jpg

'Cos I've got this version, too. Daft cretin :Nod:

MG

Oh noes. Me too.

Can we eliminate Howard Roberts as the guitarist on #4?

No, we cannot.

Aha. :) Now, what to do with this information... This isn't nearly as "oddball" as some of the stuff he did, I know that. Pretty sure I've never heard this, and I'm wondering if it's some kind of obscure L.A. studio musicans' jam session. Maybe "The Wrecking Crew"?

Wait- is this one of his sessions with Lalo Schifrin?

Nah, it's too tempting to see the reveal now. I'm just glad I latched on to Roberts at the last minute there (sorry I didn't pitch in more ideas here over the past week or so, but with the Holidaze and all... just didn't find the energy I guess).

I was never really a big Roberts fan, and when he departed the straighter, narrower path, I kind of waved goodbye, but the guy was definitely a great talent.

2. Smooth in a positive way. I don't know her voice. The little sparkly noise is sort of cheesy.

Yeah, the bell tree. I think that's kind of a playful touch, a winking nod to the late 70s...there's a lot of it, and I can see people grinning about it while they're doing it, I mean, there's so much of it, and it's not really subtle. Really, there's all sorts of percussion mischief going on during this track, loud and reverb-y clave clicks here and there, and even sleigh bells here and there (listen to the bridge!). I asked Monday about the sleigh bells, because those took be a while to pick up on, they're pretty deep in the mix, really, and she said that it was cool for a while in underground NY hip-hop circles to uses sleigh bells as a substitute for hi-hat, and that this guy was a part of that scene. She also said that he pulled 'em out at the session and waited for her to raise an eyebrow or something, and she never did, she got what it was he was doing and she dug it. Again, would that all makers of "pop" music would let the session players bring themselves to the music instead of expecting them to role-play.

And like you said, smooth in a positive way. There's a lack of angst, anger, or malice, but unlike so much "positive" music, there's no corresponding lack of awareness and/or intelligence. Quite the opposite, I think. Of course, mileages will varyu on that, I'm sure.