Mary Lou Williams - Black Christ Of The Andes

bertrand

Very simple question. Discographies seemed to indicate that Grant Green plays on two tracks: 'Anima Christi' and 'Praise The Lord'. Is this correct? Does he solo on either

Very simple question. Discographies seemed to indicate that Grant Green plays on two tracks: 'Anima Christi' and 'Praise The Lord'. Is this correct? Does he solo on either?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Simple answer. No.

Less simple answer. He plays some lines amongst the general ensemble revivalist meeting rave-ups.

One song is the same groove as a tune from the Stanley Turrentine Rough and Tumble session. If you are familiar with that, you will recognise it.

The MLW album is up on Youtube if you want to hear it.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

He takes a nice obbligato behind the vocal on 'Anima Christi' but no solo. On 'Praise the lord' he's prominent in the rhythm section but no solo or obbligato. But that's not really describing his contribution to those two cuts, which is substantial and audible. 'Praise the lord' is a wailer and, like much New Orleans jazz, everyone's wailing at one time and not getting in each other's way. If you're thinking about getting this for the Grant Green, I'd say get it, because he never made anything like this in his life.

MG

I just have to say that I was afraid to check this album out for a long time. Once I finaly did, I couldn't beleive I waited so long. There are a lot of cool things on it. Grant sounds fantastic, and does add a lot. I actually jumped out of my seat when I first him play a fill. The songs with the choirs are also really cool. The arrangements/orchestrations on the albumn are great.