Seattle Tips

BeBop

I was surprised not to find a Seattle thread, unless I just missed it. I've got a month or more of work here. The likelihood of getting an hour or few off is small - though I did manage to catch Janiva Magness and Jim Alfredson on my last trip through. If a free moment does arise, It'd be great to have a plan. I know the place a little, having attended University of Washington back in a previous century. Jazz Alley's still around; Bud's Records isn't. I guess I see this as a general purpose thread for any recommendations people have. Seattle's popular and relatively interesting. I imagine I'm not the only one passing through. Record your wisdom here.

• 8 months later...

There's a great record/CD store - large and well-stocked with new and used discs - just north of the Seattle Center, where the Space Needle is. It's Silver Platters, 701 5th Avenue North. There's a cheap-ish parking deck just west of the store, on the other side of the street.

Moved to 2930 1st Ave. S., Seattle, WA 98134

Also in Northgate areas at 9560 1st Ave NE

Alternatives: Everyday Music has a big CD selection and LPs on Capitol Hill (uphill, medium-length walk from Downtown) 1520 10th Ave, between Pike St & Pine St

I also like the subterranean Netpune Music in University District, 4344 Brooklyn Ave NE

• 5 years later...

Bumping for a friend who has made inquiries to me about good places to see live jazz in Seattle.  I suggested Jazz Alley, but she replied that " Jazz Alley seems to be a  more big name spot and expensive....looking for more intimate place, local musicians even."  Any ideas, Northwesterners, or those with a visiting knowledge of the city?