Roscoe Mitchell Coming To Houston?

JSngry

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it comes to pass, it will be presented by Nameless Sound: http://www.namelesssound.org/

They've been a round for a while and appear to have a great record, but I had not heard of them until they brought Henry Grimes & Marilyn Crispell in this past February (which, of course, I was unable to get down there to hear...).

Like I said, though, their past record is pretty nice: http://www.namelesssound.org/events/past_events.html and I'm on their mailing list now. I just want to find out about Roscoe in plenty of time to plan. Don't want a repeat of February!

• 1 month later...

Details at last:

Nameless Sound & Contemporary Arts Museum Houston present

Roscoe Mitchell and Alvin Fielder

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at 6:30pm

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, 5216 Montrose [map]

free concert

Nameless Sound's Resounding Vision Award Gala

Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 8pm

The Historic Eldorado Ballroom, 2310 Elgin, Houston [map]

featuring dinner, art auction, music, and special guests

tickets start at $200

Nameless Sound and Project Row Houses present

Roscoe Mitchell Quartet

Friday, March 29, 2013 at 8pm

The Historic Eldorado Ballroom, 2310 Elgin, Houston [map]

$13 general / $10 with student i.d. / free, 18 and under

Saxophonist Roscoe Mitchell (b. 1940, Chicago) is a key figure in the second wave of jazz avant-gardists who see themselves as composers just as much as improvisers. He is a founding member of Chicago's Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians and of its flagship group, the Art Ensemble of Chicago, which expanded the music beyond the ecstasies and expressionism of their “post-bop” and “free jazz” predecessors. In the new century, he’s been revered as one of the music’s most articulate elder statesmen, holding prestigious teaching posts at the University of Wisconsin and Mills College, and serving as a beacon for a new generation of creative musicians. Nameless Sound is pleased to welcome Professor Mitchell to Houston for a weeklong residency, during which he will lead a series of workshops and rehearsals, and participate in three public events.

For a special duo concert co-presented with the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, Mitchell reconnects with Alvin Fielder, the man behind the drum kit on his earliest sessions, including 1967's landmark Sound. The house drummer at the Eldorado Ballroom in the 1950s while he studied pharmacology at TSU, Fielder went on to perform with the likes of Sun Ra, Kidd Jordan, and other key figures of the jazz avant-garde. He is truly a living encyclopedia of modern drum techniques, and his visits to Houston in recent years have consistently been memorable affairs.

Roscoe Mitchell is this year's recipient of Nameless Sound's Resounding Vision Award, presented to musicians whose efforts transcend aesthetics and resonate beyond the concert stage. We invite you to eat, drink, mix and mingle with Houston's most creative minds at the Resounding Vision Award Gala. All proceeds benefit Nameless Sound's Creative Music Education Program and Concert Series. Call us at 713-928-5653 for more information.

Mitchell's Nameless Sound residency culminates in a performance by his longstanding Quartet featuring trumpeter Hugh Ragin, who was raised in Houston, played in the all-city orchestra, and studied at U of H before establishing himself as the trumpeter of choice for Mitchell and David Murray.

"Even in the jazz avant-garde, Roscoe Mitchell qualifies as an iconoclast. He uses ideas from Western and non-Western classical music, as well as the jazz tradition, to write music that swings like mad or, deliberately, doesn't swing at all."

New York Times

"If you listen to nature, sounds are done in a confident way. I'm trying to do that." Roscoe Mitchell