Roscoe Mitchell Coming To Houston?

JSngry

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, CraigP! Great to meet all of you, and Chuck's wife too. Hope they have an easy trip back north. Some pix:

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

That last little encore they played - it was a tune that sounded familiar (esp. the riff that Hugh Ragin played). Anyone know what it was?

I will say that besides creating a music that damn near compels you to follow along as the logic unfolds, the momentum gathers, the energies coalesce even tighter, and you eventually "get there" (where indeed you always were from the first note), all at a pace that is deliberately deliberate, playing the gambit that yes, this is RIGHT (and indeed, it always is), Roscoe Mitchell is a very visually compelling artist as well. I've never been in a position to really observe his posture, horn-holding positions, body movement, and footwork before last night, but there was a body-dimension at work that was nothing short of being as musical as the music. Nothing overtly "showy" or anything, just...there.

And the guy knows how to wear a tie, let me tell you that.

I am sorry that I missed the group photo. I had a 3-hour drive back to San Antonio.

The music was transcendent and the venue was a perfect fit.

Playing Snurdy McGurdy and her Dancin' Shoes right now!

Is anyone familiar with Roscoe Mitchell's Sound Ensemble Live in Detroit on Cecma?

Charles