Dave Brubeck - RIP

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was the kind of you you just figured was going to live forever...seemed to be blessed like that.

I've been up and down and back and forth with his musics, but what always comes through is that this was a good, decent man, not at all fooled or trapped by his success. If only for that,, Brubeck FTW.

RIP, and thanks.

For along time I dug mostly his early pre-Desmond quartet music (Octet and Tjader/Crotty trio) and came to appreciate his more "classic" stuff (that's all over the place and tends to be taken for granted) piecemeal later on. At any rate, some really interesting music there.

RIP and Thanks! You outlasted most of your detractors!

He was a bit of an entry point for me (in my dad's LP collection) and I'm still a fan. By the time I started seeing live jazz, it was basically too late for me to see him in any kind of intimate setting (well, maybe he played smaller rooms in New York), but I managed to see him probably 5 or 6 times in concert halls or at Ravinia. To have had that energy at his age -- and to keep promoting young musicians at his gigs -- is remarkable.

RIP

He was the kind of you you just figured was going to live forever...seemed to be blessed like that.

I've been up and down and back and forth with his musics, but what always comes through is that this was a good, decent man, not at all fooled or trapped by his success. If only for that,, Brubeck FTW.

RIP, and thanks.

Indeed. The fact that he was married for 70 years - and in the profession he was in - says an awful lot about the man.

Sad news indeed.

I was fortunate to see the Dave Brubeck Quartet with Paul Desmond about 3 or 4 times.

I recall a time back in 1957. I was in the US Army stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas and saw an

announcement that the Brubeck Quartet was doing a concert in Wichita fairly soon.

I found a friend with a car, and we drove the roughly 125 miles one evening to attend the concert,

and then drove back to Fort Riley late that night after the concert.

It was a terrific experience and Paul Desmond was particularly in great form.