7 common foods you shouldn't eat

In February 2012 Muir Glen organic switched to a BPA free can. As the product has a shelf life of 2 1/2 years (at least) there are still BPA lined cans in stores and may be for some time. So if one wishes to avoid the BPA lining try to find cans that expire in 2015. Or as the article suggests, buy (or make) tomato products in glass. Though sometimes the lids have BPA linings...We don't make enough homemade tomato sauce to last the year so eventually we have to buy canned until the fall harvest. Otherwise I too have been following the collective advice of that article for some time.

A tip if you like popcorn (I do): Get a two quart lidded glass casserole dish, put a tbsp or so of olive oil on the bottom and add a portion of popcorn kernels. Microwave on high 4 to 5 minutes. Salt, spice and enjoy.

BM, following up on your suggestion, I bought a pyrex 2-qt lidded casserole dish, a jar of Orville's popcorn and a bottle of Orville's butter oil. I'll try them all out Christmas Day.

By the way, I introduced Orville Redenbacher's to my college campus! In 1969 I lived in New Orleans when not at school, and that summer New Orleans was a test market for Orville's. I loved it, so I got a popcorn maker and brought a jar of Orville's back to school with me. The picture of Orville on the label was exactly the same it is today, except that he had a crew cut!!!

I assume the BPA thing goes for all canned foods?

It's a bigger issue for canned tomatoes due to the acidity. Keep in mind once upon a time one would have gotten lead instead of BPA. :wacko:

Check into seaweed snacks for something better than microwave popcorn (stop making excuses). ;) Annie Chun and SeaSnax can likely be found in better grocery stores coast to coast and come in delicious flavors. Practically no calories, a tad o' fiber and vitamins and might just work for you.

It's my understanding that microwaves make heaps of degraded artificial/nonexistent molecule-ruins out of what used to be plants or anything organic ... I stand away from microwave crap anyway (which is not a big issue in ol' yurp).

That thing about tomato in tin cans was new to me ... will have to investigate if that's a global issue or what. Bout tomato sauce in a bottle for the very first time yesterday, different texture, but just as good in taste for sure (biological stuff, btw, the ones in tin cans, too - but I guess the can wouldn't be bothered).

A tip if you like popcorn (I do): Get a two quart lidded glass casserole dish, put a tbsp or so of olive oil on the bottom and add a portion of popcorn kernels. Microwave on high 4 to 5 minutes. Salt, spice and enjoy.

BM, following up on your suggestion, I bought a pyrex 2-qt lidded casserole dish, a jar of Orville's popcorn and a bottle of Orville's butter oil. I'll try them all out Christmas Day.

By the way, I introduced Orville Redenbacher's to my college campus! In 1969 I lived in New Orleans when not at school, and that summer New Orleans was a test market for Orville's. I loved it, so I got a popcorn maker and brought a jar of Orville's back to school with me. The picture of Orville on the label was exactly the same it is today, except that he had a crew cut!!!

One more detail: leave the lid slightly ajar to let steam escape.