Earl Hines

DMP

I'm with Chuck. Those Black Lions are amazing. Then I would go back to the solo recordings from the 1920s and 1930s; also if you can find the first things he did with Lois Deppe (I think these were before the Hot combos); the big band is good, but I don't find it essential, except for Bud Johnson.

Edited by AllenLowe

I had the great pleasure to get to know Fatha Hines, just before his passing. So I'm, perhaps, biased I- biased toward every era. While his playing didn't change tremendously over the better part of six decades, the changes in setting (orchestra, small group, solo) highlighted different appealing qualities.

The 1940s bands were fantastic, but at least as much for the sidemen as for the leader.

Let's not forget or overlook his work with Louis Armstrong. Widely available at "bargain" prices

The Father Jumps (RCA/Bluebird)

That's the one I was referring to above.

Of course, as the other posts here indicate, it all depends on how you prefer your jazz from such a long career. Period recordings from the climax of the career, combos, big bands, solos, mainstream from later periods, whatever ... ;)

And if you want to go the whole hog (for his earlier works) in one go, it might be sensible to shell out for this and have the ground covered once and for all: ;)

I'm with Chuck. Those Black Lions are amazing. Then I would go back to the solo recordings from the 1920s and 1930s; also if you can find the first things he did with Lois Deppe (I think these were before the Hot combos); the big band is good, but I don't find it essential, except for Bud Johnson.

The later, small group work with Budd Johnson is also good. (Linger Awhile, Dirty Old Men...)

Edited by BeBop

Volare is a great song that I never gave any attention to.

It came in second in the Euro song contest 195?.

The recording of it by L. Hampton, E. Hines, G. Tate and L. Vinegar (I think)

shows what can be done with it. Each section can have a different mood.

It is not an album I would recommend—in fact, it may be his worst—but the late Martin Williams gave me an enthusiastic call shortly after Riverside released the Hines sessions I produced in Chicago (1961). I'm sure he felt as badly about the rest of the tracks as I did , but he was fascinated by Earl's performance on A Monday Date, and the fact that Earl was still able to come up with a fresh approach.

I don't have the album, so I haven't heard it in decades, but Earl only agreed to the session if it featured his band, and he insisted on doing some vocals. Adding to the disaster was the fact that Bill Grauer needed to keep expenses down, so he gave me a couple of "engineers" whose expertise clearly lay elsewhere. I suggested not releasing the sessions, but Bill turned my request down.