Bud Powell - Early Recordings as a Leader

Guy Berger

Hey guys,

I am looking to filling a gap in my collection - Bud Powell's early non-BN recordings as a leader. I guess I need the 1/10/47 session, the early 1949 sessions for Norgran with Ray Brown and Max Roach, the Feb. 1950 sessions for Norgran with Max and Curley Russell, the July 1950 session with Ray Brown and Buddy Rich, and the Feb 1951 solo piano session. It looks like the Proper box set "Tempus Fugue-It" is my best option (though it omits the 1951 solo session). Any other suggestions I am overlooking?

The Verve box set will cover everything but the 1/10/47 session. You can also find the Brown/Roach and Curley/Roach sessions on the disc 'Jazz Giant', which I think is usually in print and sounds (to me) like a decent enough mastering. You could probably get that + a disc or two to cover the Buddy Rich and solo sessions, if you want to avoid paying money for a whole box set.

So far as I know, there is only one release of 1/10/47 that doesn't run half a pitch sharp - the Complete Blue Note/Roost box. It probably runs sharp on the Tempus Fugue-It box.

Note that public-domain labels like for instance Jazz Factory and Proper have no access to original sources like metal parts, mastertapes and what have you. Their releases are usually sourced from 78s, vinyl and CDs.

If you're looking for a pitch-corrected CD release of the 1/10/1947 Roost date you need the Complete Blue Note and Roost Recordings 4CD-set that was released by Blue Note, as was said above.

Edited by J.A.W.

Note that public-domain labels like for instance Jazz Factory and Proper have no access to original sources like metal parts, mastertapes and what have you. Their releases are usually sourced from 78s, vinyl and CDs.

If you're looking for a pitch-corrected CD release of the 1/10/1947 Roost date you need the Complete Blue Note and Roost Recordings 4CD-set that was released by Blue Note, as was said above.

Alas, the BN is also OOP and there is no digital version

Alas, the BN is also OOP and there is no digital version

It is available from Amazon Marketplace sellers.

U.S. - http://www.amazon.co... note and roost

U.K. - http://www.amazon.co...55145344&sr=8-1

Edited by J.A.W.

• 8 years later...
On 12/10/2012 at 11:30 PM, mjzee said:

Bud.jpgThe 8 tracks are on this set from our Andorran friends, and they are pitch-correct. Click on the above spreadsheet graphic to compare the 3 sets; the Roulette tracks are shorter (i.e., faster).

51NYE2Q9SVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thank you!  The aural evidence would suggest that the other 8 tunes run fast also.  

On 12/9/2012 at 1:24 AM, bneuman said:

So far as I know, there is only one release of 1/10/47 that doesn't run half a pitch sharp - the Complete Blue Note/Roost box. It probably runs sharp on the Tempus Fugue-It box.

I also surmised that these run a half-step sharp.

On 12/9/2012 at 2:17 PM, colinmce said:

The Bud Powell Verve box doesn't usually run any more expensive than it did on list, nothing like the Bill Evans. It's usually under $50 on Amazon.

There's also a Euro Universal release of it - legit but ugly packaging, which runs even cheaper.   Hard to believe that Bill Evans is a premium item, with that horrid rusty box...

8 minutes ago, felser said:

There's also a Euro Universal release of it - legit but ugly packaging, which runs even cheaper.   Hard to believe that Bill Evans is a premium item, with that horrid rusty box...

I noticed just the other day that even the Evans Universal edition is starting to go for big bucks. Wish I’d bought one now. 

20 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

OK, thanks for confirming.  But I thought "Woody 'n' You" sounded fast.  

I spoke too soon (I was misremembering the other tracks on the Andorran release, which were not the 1953 Roosts).  Here's a comparison of the Roulette and BN box:

Roulette         BN Box

Embraceable You                     2:52                2:48

Burt Covers Bud                      3:07                3:03

My Heart Stood Still                3:20                 3:15

You'd Be So Nice To               2:41                 2:36

Bag's Groove                          2:15                 2:11

My Devotion                            3:05                 3:07

Stella By Starlight                    2:10                2:06

Woody'n You                           3:00                 2:58

While the 1947 tracks were consistently shorter on the Roulette, these differences seem all over the place.  Not much difference on Woody'n You, though.

3 hours ago, mjzee said:

I spoke too soon (I was misremembering the other tracks on the Andorran release, which were not the 1953 Roosts).  Here's a comparison of the Roulette and BN box:

Roulette         BN Box

Embraceable You                     2:52                2:48

Burt Covers Bud                      3:07                3:03

My Heart Stood Still                3:20                 3:15

You'd Be So Nice To               2:41                 2:36

Bag's Groove                          2:15                 2:11

My Devotion                            3:05                 3:07

Stella By Starlight                    2:10                2:06

Woody'n You                           3:00                 2:58

While the 1947 tracks were consistently shorter on the Roulette, these differences seem all over the place.  Not much difference on Woody'n You, though.

I love those tracks, always loved the way Bud plays "Embraceable You" , it´s like if he would have re-composed it. Same with "Devotion". This is a tune that speaks for itself and doesn´t need improvised chorusses. It would destroy the message of that tune. 

And "Woddy" and "Burt Covers Bud" (actually Bean´n the Boys, a Hawkins composition ) are just perfect. I like those 1953 recordings more than some of the earlier trio recordings. Especially on the two July 1950 tracks with Buddy Rich it´s too much high register virtuoso stuff, I like more the 1950 solos on Birdland with Bird and Fats, thats more music, not so much high register virtuoso stuff.....