Charlie Parker in best sound?

Get all the Bird you can afford. Period. Bird live is life changing, particularly the Live Performances on Savoy when he was at the absolute height of his powers.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Live-Performances-Savoy-1947-Oct/dp/B00000DC2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355783562&sr=8-1&keywords=charlie+parker+complete+live+performances+on+savoy

Honestly, if you have "very little" Charlie Parker and if good sound is a concern go with the Verves. I think much of his Verve work is underrated and it sounds much better than some of his poorly recorded (although perhaps superior) earlier work. It's not gonna do anyone any good if the poor recording quality turns you off to Bird.

If I had *very little* Charlie Parker, I'd spring for the box set, "Bird: Charlie Parker, the Complete Masters, 1941-54" put out by Universal. All the early McShann solos, all the Dials, Savoys, Guilds, Musicrafts, Verves (masters, not alternates) are there with what sounds to these ears like good sound and a pretty good booklet. And when I last Iooked, Amazon sellers had it at just under $42.00.

gregmo

As a big Bird fan, I'd vote for the Savoy/Dial, the live Savoy and the Verves. If you have that, you have the essentials.

Those are the basics but, if you don't know at least some of the other live recordings, you're missing a lot of the essence of Charlie Parker. And I think if I had to choose, I'd forgo the Verves in favore of some live recordings.